Some John Williams Trivia....

mahler3

During my visit to LA and subsequent meeting with many brilliant industry folks, i've learned some fascinating things which many of you will be interested in:

• John Williams mother loved flight and was enthralled by space travel. The Paramount music librarian (and James Horner's personal librarian) arranged for Buzz Aldrin to sign a photo for JW's mum back in the 70's, it read: "Mrs. Williams. Come fly with me, Buzz".
  • JW served in the Korean war as a musician.
  • The 'Among the Clouds' cue from 'Always' was written for BOTH flute and French horn originally. JW told Jim Thatcher that if he couldn't quite reach those incredible high notes, not to worry as Jim Walker will play them on flute. Essentially it was a fun challenge for Thatcher and the rest is history!

I'll post some more bits and pieces over the next few days.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stuff. You mentioned in the thread that shall not be named that Lincoln will feature a three movement suite, featuring the cello. Did he say as much or do you have another source for that info? It seems that the cello has become Williams' go to instrument of late, which I think is splendid, as his writing for it is superb.

During my visit to LA and subsequent meeting with many brilliant industry folks, i've learned some fascinating things which many of you will be interested in:

• John Williams mother loved flight and was enthralled by space travel. The Paramount music librarian (and James Horner's personal librarian) arranged for Buzz Aldrin to sign a photo for JW's mum back in the 70's, it read: "Mrs. Williams. Come fly with me, Buzz".

Nice. This belongs in the Esther Williams thread!

Uhm, what? I don't think Williams was ever in Korea. He did serve in the air force while the war lasted, but was never stationed there. His bases after basic training was in Tucson, Arizona and then in Newfoundland, Canada from March 1952 untill he was discharged in January-1955. Unless you know something I don't?!

Thanks for the LA adventure pics at facebook, though, Tim! I'm so totally envious, I can't even begin to express it. :)

Nice. This belongs in the Esther Williams thread!

>

Uhm, what? I don't think Williams was ever in Korea. He did serve in the air force while the war lasted, but was never stationed there. His bases after basic training was in Tucson, Arizona and then in Newfoundland, Canada from March 1952 untill he was discharged in January-1955. Unless you know something I don't?!

Thanks for the LA adventure pics at facebook, though, Tim! I'm so totally envious, I can't even begin to express it. :)

Well it's what I was told and I trust the source :-)

Great and interesting tidbits! I have always marvelled the beautiful tone of Jim Thatcher's playing and Williams sure keeps writing him challenging parts, Among the Clouds being one of the most evocative and lyrical (not to mention long) horn sections JW has composed for him.

Keep 'em coming mahler3!

Well it's what I was told and I trust the source :-)

Hmmm...well, unless it's Williams himself, I'd question it in this case. Maybe he or she is confusing the fact that he was in the air force at the same time as the war, and then the story spiralled from there? Otherwise, the only possible way he could have made it is if he went for a few months during his stay at Newfoundland -- maybe early 1953 or something -- untill he returned and scored YOU ARE WELCOME. I won't rule it out, but I find it highly unlikely.

(don't mean to shoot down your trivia, Tim, it's just that I'm kinda obsessed about inferring events in Williams' early life from available facts at the present time).

Nice stuff. You mentioned in the thread that shall not be named that Lincoln will feature a three movement suite, featuring the cello. Did he say as much or do you have another source for that info? It seems that the cello has become Williams' go to instrument of late, which I think is splendid, as his writing for it is superb.

That sounds brilliant! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting piece of info.

John Williams' house is best described by comparing it to the Last Crusade's 'Brother of the Cruciform Sword' scene: The cup of a great and successful figure is not necessarily the most extravagant kind.

Another interesting piece of info.

John Williams' house is best described by comparing it to the Last Crusade's 'Brother of the Cruciform Sword' scene: The cup of a great and successful figure is not necessarily the most extravagant kind.

Please....don't tell me you've been INSIDE HIS HOUSE?! As if your US adventure wasn't enviable enough....