Totally Totalism

Sharkissimo

Could some kind person here introduce me to the wondrous world of "totalism"? I read about it in on Wikipedia the other day, and it dawned on me: I'm not familiar with most of these artists or works, and dammit I want to be! I heard JLA's Become Ocean... but that's it.

Totalism is a style of art music that arose in the 1980s and 1990s as a developing response to minimalism—parallel to postminimalism, but generally among a slightly younger generation, born in the 1950s.[1]

In the early 1980s, many young composers began writing music within the static confines of minimalism, but using greater rhythmic complexity, often with two or more tempos (or implied tempos) audible at once.[2] The style acquired a name around 1990, when it became evident to composers working in New York City that a number of them—John Luther Adams, Glenn Branca, Rhys Chatham, Kyle Gann, Michael Gordon, Arthur Jarvinen, Diana Meckley, Ben Neill, Larry Polansky, Mikel Rouse, Evan Ziporyn, among others—were employing similar types of global tempo structures in their music.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalism

Enlighten me.

Only familiar with Michael Gordon (by his collaborative efforts with Julia Wolfe) and JLA; the later being a very textural composer. 

If you liked Becoming Ocean, here are some other fine examples of that evocative sound. He likes to take concepts and focus pieces on a singular sound. Some might find some his works a bit monochromatic, but I think they're rather beautiful.

10 minutes ago, Sharky said:

That was... far out. In The White Silence appealed to me more than the others--It has that distant, meditative quality I associate with Williams at his most Williamsian.

That was very Williamsy.  You might also like Julia Wolfe.  I forgot the name of the piece so let me look it up.

Edit: I can't find it on YouTube but you can hear the whole work on her website here:

http://juliawolfemusic.com/music/my-beautiful-scream

Godron, Wolfe, and Lang are excellent, but I feel like Gordon is the only one who sort of fits into this category.  Anyway, "totalism" seems like just another unnecessary label... I reckon it's just a subset of minimalism, diatonic or modal micropolyphony/quasi-serialism, that kind of thing?  That's the impression I get. 

John Luther Adams purveys some wonderful soundscapes, and he really compliments the other Adams' more motoric complex stuff.  One can get quite a good sense of much of contemporary classical music just from those two. 

The term totalism seems rather useless to me.

And yeah, "The White Silence" definitely strikes Williams, especially shades of A.I.

Julia Wolfe is absolutely fantastic! One of the first pieces that got me into her work:

Isn't this a great time for classical music?  What a marvelous diversity there is in what people are doing.  Laughable, the people who constantly declare the "death" of classical music or lament that no one writes anything worthwhile anymore, that there are no more "greats."  But they're all around.  I don't think I'd choose to live in any historical musical period over the one we're in right now.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I experimented with minimalism in my teen years, like many confused young men.

It wasn't for me....

Interested in what you listened to Steef. 

But like Grey said, it's not just minimalism that's out there. The current field just has such a variety in style and technique. Even minimalism comes in so many differently rich shades, ranging from the dynamism of John Adams to the intentional monotony of Reich. With so much of today's modernist music, I find these musical "labels" rarely accurately represent the music they are attached to.

45 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Godron, Wolfe, and Lang are excellent, but I feel like Gordon is the only one who sort of fits into this category.  Anyway, "totalism" seems like just another unnecessary label... I reckon it's just a subset of minimalism, diatonic or modal micropolyphony/quasi-serialism, that kind of thing?  That's the impression I get.

Any Gordon pieces to recommend? I like what I've heard of Wolfe--Fuel I & II and Arsenal of Democracy.

On another point, do you know of any scholarly books on micropolophony, non-equal tempered music etc.?

Try this on for size, for one.  The endurance of these players is ridiculous.

As for the book question, I've asked that myself.  I haven't looked for theses or things like that, and one might have more luck with that.  But actual literature on those subjects seems rare if not non-existent.  Still too "new?"

That Gordon piece, and this sort of music in general, is the stuff that evokes that strange feeling I've always been fascinated by in art.  I've talked about it before, like a memory that you can't quite focus in on and that you're not even sure belongs to you, a sense of awe and wonder about something you can't place, something just on the periphery of your mind... hard to describe.  What a wonderful, sublime feeling.

• 5 months later...

Been reading through Kyle Gann's fascinating blog and came across this post, titled "Metametrics." It's on the subject of rhythmic ratios which apparently is a major facet of totalism.

Gann talks about his teacher Ben Johnston and his early application of these ratios typically used for intervals.

For Ben, as for Cowell in New Musical Resources, the methods of extending rhythm flowed by analogy from traditional ways of handling pitch, which was one of the core meanings of the word totalism in the first place.

In fact, Ben (who was my postgraduate composition teacher) could be taken as one of the leading and underacknowledged pre-totalist composers, perhaps even the most influential one. It was he, after all, who, in 1967, translated a 12-tone song in pure tuning into analogous rhythmic ratios, and those ratios into a rhythm-only piece of conceptual theater that was to be beaten on the outside of a piano with any available mallet-like objects. Titled Knocking Piece, the work was played all over the Midwest in the ‘70s, and was an obligatory virtuoso showpiece for young percussionists. It always had two tempos going at once, in ever-changing ratios determined by the 12-tone row the song had been based on:

Knocking.jpg

The equal signs between measures indicate that the same pulse continues across the barline at that point. (No recording I know of available, unfortunately. If you know something about tuning, you can figure out the original pitches from these rhythms: taking the first as C, it continues G, E, B, D#, A#, F#…) Ben’s reputation never took off on the East Coast to nearly the same extent. But insofar as some of the totalists had been educated in the Midwest, Knocking Piece may well have been a seed that quietly (or rather, noisily) blossomed in the music of 1980s New York.

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2006/01/metametrics_origins_2.html

Reading that score extract, I'm wondering why in measures 2 and 3, Johnson doesn't simply write "3:2" and  "5:4" instead of "8:2" and "8:4" which seems counter-intuitive. 3:2 and 5:4 spell out C:G and C:E which presumably corresponds to the series he's translating. Why 8? Is it just to keep a common pulse in the top line?

I'm also getting different pitches. In bar 4 and 6, 4:3 = F. Bar 5, 5:4 = E. Bar 7, 8:5 = G#. Bar 8, 6:5 = D#. What's he doing that I'm not?

I really need to get that Henry Cowell book...

Looking at this extract from Michael Gordon's Four Kings Fight Five.

What's the oboe playing here? It looks like 2:6, but two whats in the space of 6? The logical answer would be 6 16th notes corresponding to a dotted quarter, but yet there's 4 16th notes in the bracket, not 2! Infuriating.

FourKings.jpg

On February 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Stefancos said:

My teens, unlike yours, are some 20 years ago now.

Who knows what I listened to? Glass certainly.

Isn't this the definition of ignorance? I didn't like this genre 20 years ago so it must still be shit now!

17 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Just found the score for Gordon's Rushes online, @TheWhiteRider

https://issuu.com/redpoppymusic/docs/rushes_-_full_score-watermark

This is such a suggestive, elegant piece. No elaborate formulations, just an ebb and flow of sound.

Do we have seven bassoonists here, to put together a Virtual Bassoon Ensemble?