Were the LOTR OSTs ever sold in high definition?

Jay

I am finally going to make my complete edits of the scores, and I want to maintain the highest quality possible.  I decided to master everything in 24bit/48khz since that is the bitrate of the Complete Recordings DVDs as well as the Blu Ray audio tracks.

Obviously any additional pieces such as the Rarities Archive and video game material will be lower bitrate, but I was wondering about the OST programs.

I did a quick search on these sites and didn't see them up for sale in better quality than the redbook CDs.

http://www.hdtracks.com/

https://www.7digital.com/

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

https://www.highresaudio.com/

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/

Anybody know of a site that might be selling them in high def now, or might have in the past?

57 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Does it matter where they were sold? Or just that they were sold? 

I think you meant to underline where in your first sentence... 

12 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

There are no high-definition releases of the OSTs.  

OK!

12 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

On the subject of resolution, 24/48 is the original session resolution.

I know!

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Or cassette, like Shore's Spotlight.

cassettes are a much smaller market (I got TFA on cassette!) but you can get vinyl soundtracks in any record shop.

A Nee Hope has been reissued on standard vinyl, gold vinyl, and picture disc in the last few months. That's overkill but I wouldn't mind picking up the three LotRs scores on LP. 

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I am the knight who says "Nee!"

Screen-Shot-2015-10-14-at-2.38.02-PM-2-1

That Stormtrooper on the far left (standing up) looks like he's just about ready to give up on life. 

The one behind Vader is definitely trying to make that blaster look heavier than it is. 

That question is illogical.  How does the number of channels have anything to do with the bitrate used per channel?

Also, the score was recorded in 24/48, Richard.

Steef is right. I have at least one DVD-A in 24/96.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

That question is illogical.  How does the number of channels have anything to do with the bitrate used per channel?

Also, the score was recorded in 24/48, Richard.

You are quite, Jay; the number of channels is irrelevant.

If the score is in 24/48, it's in 24/48. Thanks.

When designing a 5.1 track, sound mixers are very conscientious in saying, "this sound goes in the center channel... this one goes in the right-front... this one will pan from the fronts to the rears..." etc.

That didn't happen, apparently, with the LotR CR DVDs. It's like they took the stereo track and "blew it up" to 5.1.

If I remember correctly an exception was the Hobbit party Plan 9 track, but the Shore tracks didn't have much separation in the sound elements.

You arent correct. When it comes to high res multichannel audio formats like DVD-A or SACD the rear channels tend to be used differently then on the soundtrack of a film.

They are reserved for acoustics and ambience rather then actual instruments. If you go to the concert hall you don't hear the violins coming from behind you, now do you?

Then why is the score more "split", so to speak, in the actual film's surround audio?

It wasn't just the instruments... in the DVD-A tracks where Gandalf or Bilbo were humming, for instance, there was bleeding into the fronts and rears. It sounded less deliberately placed and more accidental/unavoidable.

I don't have a surround system so I couldn't speak to the effectiveness of one vs. the other. But I still wonder if it's less of a stylistic choice, in the case of LotR, and more of a rush job. I wish I still had the files so I could listen from that perspective.

Yep! I'm just basing what I'm saying off of listening to the channels separately. Make of that what you will... 

All I'm saying is that I could run the stereo audio through some cheap Chinese program and probably get the same result as what's on those DVD-As.

Why would you want an orchestral recording to bounce around the room?  In a concert environment the orchestra is in front of you; multichannel orchestral recordings typically reserve the surround channels for reverb.

I'm not expecting flutes to fly up in the surrounds alone or anything like that, I was just not expecting the mix to sound so matrixed. But maybe I should shut my big mouth now, since I don't even know what it sounds like when played back properly.