Williams is back...

...big time. Minority Report looks to be his best score since The Patriot, even better than AI! However, just a bit of restraint here. I haven't heard EVERY single track, so I won't be able to give a full review until Tuesday. Until then,

Soyonara!

The Ghoest-

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...big time.  Minority Report looks to be his best score since The Patriot

The Ghoest-

Don't say that!!! :)

People in here will get very worried about that comparison you just made.

Most don't like the score for The Patriot. :P

Miguel - Who actually believes that is a good sign. It will rock!!! :(

Well, I'm glad to hear a Williams fan enjoyed it! Can you give us some info on just what you heard? More than just one theme? Any electronics? Is there anything reminiscient to the techno in AI? (something I hated at first, but now enjoy. Just like the guitar in AOTC)

NP: Spiderman

Well, I have pretty close tastes to every one else other than that, so don't worry.

Although AOTC is WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overrated. :)

The Ghoest-

Is there anything reminiscient to the techno in AI? (something I hated at first, but now enjoy.  Just like the guitar in AOTC)

The techno in "A.I." drives me insane. I knew by that point that the movie was headed irretrievably down the tubes. I'm not saying Williams wrecked "A.I." -- if anything, it was the opposite -- but the choice of techno was a little puzzling, unless it was to come up with the aural equivalent of the repellant visuals on-screen. I thought for a moment I had sustained a head injury and wandered into the theatrical release of a bad sci-fi television pilot produced by Glen A. Larson. I can't play this track with anyone else around. As with "Lapti Nek," "Ewok Celebration," and "Augie's Great Municipal Band," I run for the volume control every time. I never felt compelled to do so with "Cantina Band" or "Swing Swing Swing." Space rock dates badly (and quickly), but swing apparently is forever.

I like em all :)

I agree!!! I liked the Patriot, and can't wait for Minority Port to come out. I have to ask for it for a really early birthday present or something. What is up with people not liking The Patriot score? I thought it was fine... :cry:

Well, I'm glad to hear a Williams fan enjoyed it!  Can you give us some info on just what you heard?  More than just one theme?  Any electronics?  Is there anything reminiscient to the techno in AI? (something I hated at first, but now enjoy.  Just like the guitar in AOTC)

NP: Spiderman

I wonder how anyone can enjoy extremely amateurish electronic music - just because it has something to do with John Williams it seems...

i don't think it's amateurish at all. please explain to me why you feel this way. i can maybe understand why you didn't like the electronics in A.I. and Star Wars, but i think Williams worked wonders with the "Setting the Trap" cue from Home Alone and "The Football Game" from Sleepers. They were both a perfect blend between orchestral and electronic music.

Is it amateurish? On who's opinion? I thouroughly enjoy the techno usage in A.I. AND the electric guitar in AOTC.

Do you like Cinderella Liberty? Unlike any other Williams score, very odd... kind of 70's jazzy. Yet, it's a favorite of mine.

If anything has me running for the volume control or the skip button, it's usually due to either very loud and very soft varitations in the music or the 5 billionth time the same theme is replayed.

I must admit, I'll skip concert versions when listening to an expanded and chronological score, although I'll listen to them when I listen to condensed album arrangements.

I LOVE THAT. i also like his jazzy music from the Eiger Sanction and Earthquake. great stuff

I wonder how anyone can enjoy extremely amateurish electronic music - just because it has something to do with John Williams it seems...

I wish you could hear me snorting right now. I said I liked the music, and I'd like to hear some more of it from Williams. What's the problem with that? I also didn't say I liked it ONLY because it's Williams. Even if I DID like it just because it was Williams, so what? I like Williams' style!

The techno in "A.I." drives me insane. I knew by that point that the movie was headed irretrievably down the tubes. I'm not saying Williams wrecked "A.I." -- if anything, it was the opposite -- but the choice of techno was a little puzzling, unless it was to come up with the aural equivalent of the repellant visuals on-screen.

Figo, finally something we can agree on about AI :D I will concede that the techno in AI is a bit out of place. I was quite puzzled at it as well in the theaters. What I referred to becoming fond of was it's appearance on album. Once I got past the shock of it's slicing into this great driving orchestral music, I was able to enjoy it. The opening track of AI, the Mecha World, is my absolute favorite use of Williams and electronics so far. I also think the guitar works perfectly in AOTC. I get actually get excited while hearing that part. I hope some of Minority Report has this freshness (and some awe-inspiring orchestral parts)

Minority Report looks to be his best score since The Patriot, even better than AI!

Although AOTC is WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overrated

Boy are our tastes different! The Patriot is probably one of my least favorite Williams cd's (still a good score though). Again, I'm glad you liked it though.

NP: still Spiderman!

I think I can say with little doubt that I am the biggest fan of John Williams' score for the Towering Inferno. I can hear it in my sleep.

So when I say that my first listen to Minority Report, made me think Towering Inferno, I say that as a good thing. Its definetly jazzy, and yes those who have wondered if it would sound like "jerry Goldsmith", I can hear that too. But to base an opinion on the cd from less than a minute and 1/2 of music isn't just unfair, it is impossible.

I will say that little bit of music is like a fishing hook, and I bit down and am now hooked. Some cd store will be reeling me in this next week to make my purchase.

i don't think it's amateurish at all. please explain to me why you feel this way. i can maybe understand why you didn't like the electronics in A.I. and Star Wars, but i think Williams worked wonders with the "Setting the Trap" cue from Home Alone and "The Football Game" from Sleepers. They were both a perfect blend between orchestral and electronic music.

We've been in this territory before but ok... It is amateurish, because compared to electronic music done by people who always work with electronic music, it is lame. Any 15-year old with a copy of EJay could do as well as A.I. or Presumed Innocent. Jurassic Park would prolly demand a 20-year old though. As for Home Alone.. well... it works fine in the scene, but the drums are really on the verge of being corny and synthy.

Oh btw , yes - Mecha World from A.I. has wonderful use of electronics. Probably the best Williams have done. It doesn't make me cringe in any way, and sounds professional. Well done.

i see the that argument is going nowhere. so, on the subject, is there any confirmation of that music in the internet exclusive trailer for Minority Report? the first thirty seconds or so sounds like it could be Visions of Anne Lively, and if i may say, this electronic music is really good. i could only hope it's a part of the score

He never left, except for 94-96.

He was definitely around in '95 with two very good and underappreciated scores: Sabrina and Nixon.

I didn't really like Sleepers so maybe it could be said that he was gone in 1994 and in 1996 and stopped by for a visit in 1995.

Director - who loves the theme from Sabrina and can play it (much slower than Johnny) on his piano.

:) "The Greatest Woman On Earth" from As Good As It Gets (Zimmer)