New Williams BPO compilation 'JW and the Boston Pops, A celebration'

Luke Skywalker

Amazon just alerted me of this new compilation that is going to be released in February 21, to accompany the 80th birthady of the maestro. (why dont hey release in Feb 8th, i dont know....)

I suppose it's comprised of previously available material.

61H%2Ba-5lbLL._SS500_.jpg

Tracklist: Disc: 1 1. Star Wars -- Main Theme 2. Star Wars -- Princess Leia 3. E.T. -- The Flying Theme 4. Superman -- March 5. Superman -- Love Theme 6. Raiders of the Lost Ark -- March 7. Chariots of Fire -- Main Theme 8. Gone With The Wind -- Tara Theme 9. A Summer Place -- Main Theme 10. The Pink Panther -- Main Theme 11. Never on Sunday 12. Meet Me In St Louis -- The Trolley Song 13. Singin' In The Rain -- Main Theme 14. Pops Salutes the Oscars 15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind -- Suite Disc: 2 1. Candide -- Overture 2. New York, New York -- Main Theme 3. A Little Night Music -- Night Waltz * Send in the clowns 4. Cats -- Memory 5. Annie Get Your Gun -- There's no business like show business 6. Gigi, The night they invented champagne * Gigi * Waltz at Maxim's * I'm so glad I'm not young anymore * The Parisians * Say a prayer for me tonight * Thank heaven for little girls) 7. Sleepy Lagoon 8. Moonlight Serenade 9. Satin Doll 10. In the Mood 11. Sing, sing, sing 12. A Chorus Line -- Overture 13. 76 Trombones 14. Unchained Melody 15. America Medley

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crappy celebration for one's 80th birthday if you ask me... :/

I think it looks like a fine mix of his own work and the famous "pop" works by others that he's conducted.

What a crappy celebration for one's 80th birthday if you ask me... :/

I think it looks like a fine mix of his own work and the famous "pop" works by others that he's conducted.

yeah... if it was the 1st time it had been pressed.

But it does not only comprise of previous material, the whole set is just re-issued.

He has written excellent material since the last time it was preseed it could have included something...

Yes, although the recordings of the presented tracks are the definite ones IMO so no need to re-record those ones. But indeed indeed including some newer material would have made a great anthology album. It might have to do with the Sony rights I think.

For the record: this compilation draws from the recordings made in Boston during the time Williams was under contract with Philips Classics (1980-1989). From December 1989 on, Williams signed a new contract with Sony Classical, hence the not inclusion of any material from after his last Philips recording.

I'm listening to JW Greatest Hits (Evan Christ) on Spotify right now! Not bad! Good sound! You can hear the buzzing of the bassoons during Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Alex

• 1 year later...

When buying this album, I've check all the BPO original CDs they took to make this compilation and buy the ones I didn't have yet.

Some surprises... and some deceptions! :D