The Best Recording of "Psycho"?

robthehand

So far I've never managed to find one I'm totally happy with:

The original recording bootleg has a great performance, but seriously bad sound quality

The McNeely recording is a good performance, but with nowhere near enough "power" (I don't know if this is because of the performance or the recording)

The Herrmann re-recording has everything right except the tempos, which are (IMO) horribly slow.

Are there any other recordings worth checking out, or are these the best ones?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it isn't complete, check out the Danny Elfman adaptation (Bartek cond.) for Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake.

Shawn Murphy's recording is (appropriately enough) a fairly dry one which I feel suits the music better as opposed to the concert hall sound of most re-recordings.

Joel McNeely and the RSNO's recording is fantastic. I think the "Prelude" is much more powerful than the original version.

Justin

So far I've never managed to find one I'm totally happy with:

The original recording bootleg has a great performance, but seriously bad sound quality

The McNeely recording is a good performance, but with nowhere near enough "power" (I don't know if this is because of the performance or the recording)

The Herrmann re-recording has everything right except the tempos, which are (IMO) horribly slow.

Are there any other recordings worth checking out, or are these the best ones?

IMO The original bootleg score with Herrmann conducting (available as a bootleg) is still the best but granted McNeely's 1996 version is the first complete recording of PSYCHO, the sound is pretty lacklustre even though it is recorded in 20 Bit digital. The acoustics at City Halls, Glasgow is pretty much to blame. I know Steef always badgers me about Herrmann's 1975 recording with the National Philharmonic Orchestra....tooooo slooowww. Poor man was very ill. Give him some credit! While Danny Elfman's name should never have appeared after Bernard Herrmann's somewhat small screen credit on Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake, it is one of the best adaptations so far of PSYCHO. The sound is great on CD and although not complete, it is worth getting for the superior sound quality. I have various PSYCHO suites on mp3 downloaded years ago...ranging from good to downright too slow. Herrmann would indeed be spinning in his grave listening to a few of them.

CDs: PSYCHO conducted by Bernard Herrmann, Studio Orchestra BOOTLEG SCD-585

PSYCHO conducted by Bernard Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra UKCD 2021

PSYCHO conducted by Joel McNeely, Royal Scottish National Orchestra VSD-5765

I can't stand hearing the Psycho main titles played too slow. It completely cripples the energy and intended effect of the piece! As a side note, I pulled up Elfman's re-recording after reading through this thread to give it a listen, and I noticed that 18 out of the 22 tracks begin with the word "the." :?

Ray Barnsbury

As a side note, I pulled up Elfman's re-recording after reading through this thread to give it a listen, and I noticed that 18 out of the 22 tracks begin with the word "the." :?  

Ray Barnsbury

That's probably Herrmann because alot of his titles are "The......"

Just check the back of Varese's re-recordings or any other Herrmann album.

PSYCHO conducted by Bernard Herrmann, Studio Orchestra  BOOTLEG SCD-585

This is the one that says "Limited Circulation..." on the back?

I just listented to some of this, and I have to say, considering that it advertises a digital remastering, the CD is almost unlistenable. I know you can only do so much with a score that's over 40 years old, but the sound quality is horrible. A couple of other posts say that it's a bootleg, which would seem to indicate that the remastering is a false statement. That would also explain why is sucks so bad. Does that mean there has never been an official release of the original session tape material?

Tim