Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 1st Review

JoeinAR

Is now online at Aint it Cool News

Here is the link to the review, it is positive, with no real spoilers, and some constructive critisism

Personally I can hardly wait.

Joe, not sure if he is a committed Harry Potter fan, or a Harry Potter fan who needs to be committed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. I think he was right in saying that Dobby will not be appreciated on the big screen as he is in the books. He can't be worse than Jar Jar though can he?

I don't know what to think now!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You don't? Well, I do - I think it sounds pretty fantastic. :shakehead:

Dobby? He's annoying in the books, I *expect* him to be annoying in the film. It's part of his character, he's supposed to be that way.

Marian - wanting film & score & book #5 NOW, or I will kidnap John Williams! banghead

Sweetie, if you do kidnap him, will you let him know that I'm perfect for scoring the 3rd book if he isn't available? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase

Thanks ever so much :shakehead:

As for not knowing about the film, what I meant is that I wanted to know more, I can't wait and wasn't it weird that he thought that Williams was doing the score?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

As for not knowing about the film, what I meant is that I wanted to know more, I can't wait

Hmm, I'm glad he didn't say more. I know I would have read it, but I don't want to know too much about the film, except how *much* I can expect.

and wasn't it weird that he thought that Williams was doing the score?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, he's doing parts of it...

Dobby? He's annoying in the books, I *expect* him to be annoying in the film. It's part of his character, he's supposed to be that way.  

Marian - wanting film & score & book #5 NOW, or I will kidnap John Williams!

Marian, I totally agree with you.

Don't forget Peeves, and the annoying House Ghosts like Nearly Headless Nick...

Joe -- "review". Sorry, but it was bothering me. :shakehead:

Sounds like it should be a good movie, but we already knew that! Now about that score, that's a whole different story. I hope we will all be pleasantly surprised at the score, since Ross has much to live up to!

~Harry

Since Williams is writing all the new themes for the score and Ross is just expanding them for the full score, isn't he just acting as a very involved orchestrator/arranger or something? The score is still Williams'.

Ray Barnsbury

Not really, there will be plenty of cues that do not use themes but instead will be using action music and other stuff, that won't be Williams at all. SInce he hasn't got much time he will leave out all the action stuff since it takes the longest to do.

If Williams wrote *only* the themes, Ross has to do much more than just orchestrations - all the thematic variations etc. The themes are only the foundations of the score, but when you only have the themes, you still don't have any musical cues for any part of the film (except perhaps the end credits).

But it seems to me that reports contradict whether Williams wrote just themes or whether he wrote a large part of the actual score as well.

Marian - who hopes for the latter.

I do hope that any actual pieces that are new are entirely written by JW. Like if there is a Weasley piece of something. I don't want anyone else to botch it.

I think he's written 40 minutes of music and developed themes. 40 minutes can't just be the themes. Add up all the themes to the first film and it doesn't equal 10 minutes. The theme is only a few bars long. Then you have to write a suite and some cues with it, etc etc etc

Yes, if the 40 minutes rumour is true, my guess is that Williams wrote the themes plus 40 minutes of final films score (which uses the themes, obviously).

:sleepy: A Fistful of Dollars (Ennio Morricone)

Well I for one have never read the book for COS so this is all new to me. The "review" does make me excited to see the film. I am sure it will be wonderful and I plan on seeing it opening day.

As explained in that other thread: If you expect to like it, you should read the book first. The first film was wonderful, the the book is just a hundred times better, because it is much more complex, and the fun with all the Potter books is trying to find out how it all fits together. The movie was much more direct and simpler, and I expect the second one will be similar. If you read the book and then watch the movie, you'll enjoy both. If you watch the movie first, you'll spoil the greatest fun.

Well I guess that's just a difference in philosophy. I'd rather see the film first and then read the book. Otherwise I sit in the theatre comparing everything to the book and I don't enjoy the film as much.

I don't think it's a different philosophy - not in this case. I've read LOTR 8 or 9 times, but I wouldn't tell you to read it before the film, I think that should be fun both ways.

But with Potter, everyone who likes the books will tell you that the best thing about them is trying to figure it out. And that just isn't in the film - because it doesn't work that way. Watching the movie first is like having someone tell you the complete basic plot of a horribly complicated whodunnit.

Honestly. :sigh:

Yes, if the 40 minutes rumour is true, my guess is that Williams wrote the themes plus 40 minutes of final films score (which uses the themes, obviously).

:sigh: A Fistful of Dollars (Ennio Morricone)

I hope he records his part himself and all his music is on the c.d.,clearly identified,like Goldsmith's Star Trek First Contact.

K.M.

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd jump in here about this. Both the film and score will be great. Ross is a great composer and will do a great job.

As for Williams, I'm sure "Catch Me If You Can" will be great and I am looking forward to it.

hey Ren, Marian, I was at B&N tonight and I noticed that the new paperbacks are corrected versions, as was the hardback of Goblet of Fire. Lily did come first then James.

And the wand screamed each time someone came out, but it did not reverse every previous curse. I suspect the answer to this puzzle has to do with the fact that Harry and Voldemorts wand linked when he performed the arvada Kadrava(sp?)curse. Every one of those that he performed were reversed but not the pain curses he put on Harry.

Just something I noticed.

Joe

I don't think it's a different philosophy - not in this case. I've read LOTR 8 or 9 times, but I wouldn't tell you to read it before the film, I think that should be fun both ways.

But with Potter, everyone who likes the books will tell you that the best thing about them is trying to figure it out. And that just isn't in the film - because it doesn't work that way. Watching the movie first is like having someone tell you the complete basic plot of a horribly complicated whodunnit.

Honestly. :angry:

:fouetaa::sigh:

Joe, not sure if he is a committed Harry Potter fan, or a Harry Potter fan who needs to be committed

LOL

If i had to pick a most committed Harry Potter fan, it'd be a tie between Joe and Marian.

A close second would be between IrishCal and Ren.

Then Gamecube.....Ray...ocelot.um...who else did I forget..... :angry:

Joe,

you found that all out by skimming the book in BN? you go! that is excellent. I don't remember the wand screaming either. Time to go read it again.

hey Ren, Marian, I was at B&N tonight and I noticed that the new paperbacks are corrected versions, as was the hardback of Goblet of Fire.  Lily did come first then James.

The lexicon says there were other corrections, too. I guess I'll have to get the revised version someday.

Still, I'd like an official statement by JKR about that revised version. It's probably is genuine, but I have to think about something else I've read at the lexicon - in CoS, Voldemort says he's the last remanining *ancestor* of Slytherin. This was then corrected to "descendant" for later hardcover versions, yet in the paperback releases, it again said "ancestor". The Potter lexicon says that JKR indicated it might have been intentional, while another website doesn't say anything about that. So once again confusion, but if this is true, perhaps something similar happened with GoF.

Again, I guess the revised version is very probably the correct one - but I still find it difficult to believe how JKR gives such a detailed description of the spells backwards - and then makes an error by swapping James and Lily.

And the wand screamed each time someone came out, but it did not reverse every previous curse. [...]  Every one of those that he performed were reversed but not the pain curses he put on Harry.

Hmm, just checked in my book (where James comes first). At the beginning of one paragraph the wand emits "echoing screams", at the end of it Cedric's echo comes out. So the screams at the beginning must be the Cruciatus curse performed on Harry. :sigh:

Hmm, me one of the most committed? Heh, and to think that little more than two years ago, I was highly suspicious of the whole thing. Just another world John Williams made me discover. :fouetaa:

I found a bit more about the revised GoF situation at another site:

Both Bloomsbury and Scholastic quietly corrected later printings of GoF without alerting the media. The rewrite is controversial to some members (lacking the emotional depth and resonance of the original scene). Both publishers continue to maintain that it was just an error and that JK Rowling has authorized the changed version. Some members claim that they have found some later versions that were not corrected (even though some printings prior to the one in question had been changed). It leaves us all wondering whether the publishes reverted back to original text on purpose at some point, but are now proclaiming it was an error that has been corrected?