why is everybodyso angry with lucas/williams concerning aotc

It's James Horner!

LOL

Actually if anyone wants a laugh, go back and read the whole thread, but this time really try to imagine that the 'guest' was John Williams himself, its incredibly funny!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Morn said it. The last part where they took the TPM music was a whole bunch of cues that do not even fit together musically. The rhythms, pacing, tempo and keys are different so you end hearing a mess, Like John Williams has no idea how to score. Further more, in Star Wars, every place person etc has their own music, so sditing things like Yoda's theme into the conveyer belt scene makes no sense at all, where is he? And thhe same goes to the jumble at the end, it's music pertaining to different lands and events that we musically recognize. Having the Chase music from Corruscant, a city scape, in another world, doesn;t work, and again... FOR ME. Not for anyone else, but for me as I associate his themes directly with the films... That's what I don't like about the editing of his music, and Williams even complained when they did less of that in TPM.

Now as for the last two films.... Where do I start......

The worst thing in any Star Wars movie yet is the music editing in AOTC. And I thought TPM was bad... it's no contest. The bad part is... I LOVE the music... just not how it was presented. :)

But John himself takes on too many assignments to produce top-shelf stuff these days............couldn't he turn some down to focus on the ones that are important to him? Some of you have said yourselves that Williams couldn't score any music for AOTC after they edited it 'cause he was busy scoring the music for Minority Report. Honestly, I believe many of the less-than-stellar works that John has been producing these days have been a result of his poor time management. You spread yourself too thin, and the quality of your work noticeably suffers.

-Steve

Look folks I have to agree that Minority Report and AOTC were definately UNDER PAr for JW. I dunno. Maybe big John did not feel like composing any great new music for Lucas after he butchered his last score.

As for Minority Report? Well ..... who knows? :)

does anyone understand why film music exists in the first place? it compliments whats on the screen. Minority Report isn't the type of movie that should have a lush, melodic score. when are people going to understand this? read Spielberg's note on the inside cover.

does anyone understand why film music exists in the first place? it compliments whats on the screen. Minority Report isn't the type of movie that should have a lush, melodic score. when are people going to understand this? read Spielberg's note on the inside cover.

Exactly what I think, although I really enjoy Minority Report outside the film as well. Tpigeon, why do my thoughts always seem to appear in your posts? :)

Ray Barnsbury

sure, with Minority Report I wouldn't expect a big, elaborate score. But for Star Wars Episode II, as Lucas has said time and time again, the Star Wars movies are like silent movies. The music says it ALL.....therefore, EVERY scene should be scored elaborately and passionately, to bring out every action, every emotion that is portrayed on the screen. AOTC failed to live up to this........don't get me wrong, I absolutely love most of the music I've heard from the film, and the way the music is used for the first half of the film is almost just as powerfully used as the music edited in the original trilogy......but the last half, the moment that they started using old Episode I music.....that's when my respect for the score and for Williams' efforts in this project got dampened. I will stick to my feelings that every minute of music to AOTC should have been scored with new, potent music one way or another. Especially since you folks have admitted that Minority Report isn't a film that requires a truely elaborate score.....Williams should have had SOME time to drop his work on that and go back tot he final cut of AOTC and finish up scoring and polishing that crucial Star Wars score.

Exactly what I think, although I really enjoy Minority Report outside the film as well. Tpigeon, why do my thoughts always seem to appear in your posts? :)

Ray Barnsbury

i love the Minority Report score. it isn't everyday Williams. i think it is a very layered score in more ways then thematically. it is a dark, almost brooding listening experience that can really creat an atmosphere, especially Sean's Theme. what i like about this score is that it proves that score doesn't have to be overt. When i first heard the final cue on the cd, i was a bit surprised. i expected something a little more blunt. but the more i have listened to it, the more it has moved me. the same goes for the entire score for that matter. it functions as so many things, and does a great job balancing it all out.

and Ray, i don't know why that is so. it is good to know that at least one person doesn't disagree with my posts all of the time and doesn't want to argue. i find myself agreeing with very much as well. :P

tpigeon- who after much careful thought and consideration actually prefers Minority Report to Attack of the Clones, at least when comparing the cd's.

i can understand that Rogue Leader. it just seems that many people on this Board expect nothing but booming brass or moving strings. movie scores go beyond that, i think.