Predator Score

Hi everyone, my first post! (silent hurrah!)

Moving on, this seemed like the right place to post a thread on said topic.

After recently watching Predator (again), and paying closer attention to the score, I think that Silvestri does a fine job, considering the reasonable directing and the shoddy acting that make up the rest of the movie. Even in the scenes where they are just walking through the jungle, the seemingly simple music puts the viewer on edge.

That, and I enjoyed the movie just 'cause the Predator creature is so darned cool :).

Comments? Feedback?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, there we are...I'm recognizing many of the movies he's done, I just didn't know he scored them. 0_o Most of them quite enjoyable, too.

And to quote the immortal (former) Governor of Minnesota: "This stuff will turn you into a god damn sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me!"

Welcome to the board, ImperialWalker! :)

I don't know how well you're familiar with Silvestri's other works, but check out Eraser, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing, and Volcano. Those are among his best action works.

I think this score is excellent, always have since I saw the film back in the late '80s. I made a thread a while back in which I suggested its possibly the greatest militaristic score ever written. Not many people could offer a superior alternative :)

The standout track for me would be Battle Plans. Its a superbly long and brooding piece which perfectly helps to set up the climatic battle between Arnie and the Predator.

And I personally disagree with a comment above which stated that its a difficult stand alone listen throughout - on the contrary, I love this score on my headphones from start to finish. Just like any great score and film, if you know the scenes in your head from memory, the full score is a pleasure to listen to. :music:

I LOVE the score to Predator!

I've loved it ever since I saw the film when I was six. When I'd play soldiers (or whatever the hell I played when I was six) I'd always wind up humming that score because, even at six, I knew it was an excellent action score. Although, I didn't know that many six year olds (aside from people at this site and others like it) probably don't do that.

Anyway, it's one of the great scores of the past century, in my opinion. It hails from the days when composers knew how to use electronics and knew the difference between bombastic and nuanced. Now it just seems like scores are all or nothing. In your face or not there at all. This one touches all the bases of film scoring aside from blatant beauty (a love theme basically). But, other than that, it's missing nothing. Not to say that I wish it had a love theme. In an action score as dense and intricate as Predator, it's not needed. Oh, and the fact that there wasn't a love story in the film. Unless you count the hate/hate relationship between Dillon and Anna.

As a small sidenote, I bought the 34 track version not a week before it was released legitimately. That pissed me off, to say the least. I had to write Varese and ask them to hold onto a copy for me because I lacked sufficient funds. Luckily, they did.

But, rants aside, it's probably my favorite and the most addictive Silvestri score I've heard.

Welcome to the board, ImperialWalker!  :angry:  

I don't know how well you're familiar with Silvestri's other works, but check out Eraser, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing, and Volcano. Those are among his best action works.

Agreed. I would also add Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life to the list. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best fusions of modern and classical action scoring in recent memory.

Welcome to the board, ImperialWalker!  :wave:  

Agreed. I would also add Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life to the list. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best fusions of modern and classical action scoring in recent memory.

Prepare the bomb shelter for bombing. :angry:

Prepare the bomb shelter for bombing.  :angry:

Uh oh. Do you guys hate that score or something?

I haven't personally sat down and listened to the score, but I know Paramount forced Silvestri to include a synthesized bass line in his action cues so as to mimic Graeme Revell's first score. That was definitely a gratuitously stupid move.