The Official "Recommend A Star Trek Episode to Marc" Thread

Lurker

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the introduction of one of the best characters in the Trek universe.

Yeah, a Borg-female with big boobs. Every Trekkie's fantasy became a reality with this one! :mellow:

Something about spaceships and aliens, apparently.

Sigh, good sci-fi is never about space ships and aliens, it's always about humanity.

Star Trek

The Enterprise, a ship belonging to the United Federation Of Planets is on a five year mission searching for new life, and new civilisations.

The first, and according to some still the best.

Pro's

The 3 leading actors and their characters are legendary.

Wether it's pleasant banter or serious disagreement it's always woth watching. Doctor McCoy and Spock represent the 2 different side of the psyche of Kirk, the commanding officer. One humam, emotional, sometimes irrational, one disspassionate, logical, scientific. Kirk must constantly balance these those sides of his nature to be an effective commander.

Often great an imaginitive stories and impressive music.

Con's

It's from the 60's, so in some ways it's mentality is very dated. Women are supposedly equal to men, but even female Starfleet Officers are wearing miniskirts. (really mini). It's completely episodic, so people or events from one episode are completely forgotten the very next. TOS is sometimes MESSAGE Television, which is fine, but showing the futility of rasism by having an Alien with a white and black face, and one with a black and white one hate each other because they look different is a bit...simplistic for today's discerning viewer.

Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Set some 100 years after TOS (making the shows name really ridiculous).

A newer, bigger enterprise continues to search the galaxy for new life and new civilisations.

Pro's

A very strong cast of actors, with the always fantastic Patrick Steward firmly in command. Often fantastic stories about discovery, consequence, love, loss.

More mature writing then the first series, and important events in the characters lifes are not always brushed aside like they never happened.

A great looking ship, at times damn fine special effects.

Con's

Most of the episodes in the first 2 seasons range from terrible to forgettable. It took a very long time for this series to find it's feet.

Lack of dynamics between the crew, only very rarely are there any serious arguments between these very different people. There is nothing even remotely compared to the Spock/McCot rivalry here.

Music is often little more then sonic wallpaper.

At times the scope of the stories exceeded the series budget. Most 2 part episodes had a great cliffhanger, followec by a second part that failed to live up to the first.

Technobabble. Very often the writers resort to intangeble technical terms to explain plot ideas or scientific concepts that don't stand up to close scrutiny.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Space Station: Deep Space Nine, on the edge of Federation territory must deal with a wormhole leading to un unexplored part of the galaxy, the political/religious complications of a nearby planet, ravaged by a 60 year ocupation by an advanced race of aliens and as the series progresses, a full scale intergalactic war.

Pro's

The best developed of the Trek series, with a stellar cast of not only regulars but a huge amount of supporting characters that gives this series a richness that the others lack. A lot od dynamic between characters, some like each other, some don't. And not everyone is working towards a common goal. Unlike The Enterprise, a Space Station can't fly away to the next planet at the end of an episode, to as the series progressed it became less episodic up to the point that there's hardly any episode that did not belong to some story arc or at least make reference to it.

It also means that there are often consequences to the actions of this crew. More then any other, this series is more about the consequences then the actions.

Often good, or fantastic effects. The only show up to date to have space battles that put ROTJ to shame.

Technobabble get's phased out more and more as this seroes progresses.

Con's

Also took a while to find it's feet, the first season has a lot of forgettable episodes, through this none as dreadfull as early TNG.

The large amount of continuous story arcs make it impossible to view episodes in later seasons if you don't know the finer points of what happened before.

The music, like TNG is wallpaper for the most part, though that did improve in later seasons.

The commanding officer, Sisko, is not defined verey well in the first and to some extent the second season.

I suppose objectively speaking this is the series that more then the others steps away from Gene Roddenberry's idea of a future were humanity has resolved all conflicts and war, hunger, poverty no longer excist. Some Trek fans think it's too far removed from those ideas to be a real Star Trek show.

It also is not as instantly likable as TOS or TNG.

Star Trek: Voyager

A small starship gets stranged in an unexplored earea of space, a 70 year journey home will cause them to encounter many new worlds and alien races, either friendly or hostile.

Pro's

Good looking ship, with the USS Defiant from DS9 the last really interesting ship design they have done.

Several very interesting characters, including a holographic doctor, a big bossomed women with bits of computer hardware bolted into her.

Good special effects.

More then TNG and DS9 this series this to return to the original Roddenberry concept of a lone ship exploring an unexplored part of space.

A nice mix of stand alone episodes and long story arcs.

Cons

Voyager is supposed to be a very long way from home, but it really never feels like it is. Many of the aliens in this seies aren't that different from what we've seen in the familiar Trek universe. The lack of strong villians, this series never really managed to set up a wothy and consistant enemy for Voyager and it's crew, and when it had something intersting, it often was not followed through. Eventusally they had to borrow a popular villian fron TNG (The Borg) because they could not come up with something themselves.

Voyager's Captain, Janeway. They never managed to create any consistancy in the way she commands her ship and crew and tries to get them home.

At yimes her actions or command descisions are so contradictory to that what she did earlier that she appears erratic.

Like TNG and DS9 this series needed some time to get going, and when it finally did....it fell on it's face again.

While the exteriour of the ship looks great, the interior looks frankly boring.

Technobabble, this has even more then TNG, and most of the time it's used to hide dodgly plotting.

The biggest problem I personally had with this show is that it felt too much like The Next Generation with another cast

Enterprise

I have not watched this consistantly enough to give a proper review of it. But it is a fact that nothing I've seen of it, even the very ambitious episodes managed to capture me.

My main gripe is that's it's made by people who have been doing Star Trek since the late 80's and it's showing. Even though it was a new show, it felt old.

Another one is that's it's supposed to be a prequel to the first series, but it just doesn't look or feel that way.

I lost interest in season 2, when I could hear the wheels of formulaic plotting grind into the dirt.

What can you say about a TV show were a black US president is one of the more believable aspacts in the show?

Yep. I have always lost my interest to a show ar a movie when there is a black or female president.

Technobabble. Very often the writers resort to intangeble technical terms to explain plot ideas or scientific concepts that don't stand up to close scrutiny.

Technobabble, this has even more then TNG, and most of the time it's used to hide dodgly plotting.

The biggest problem I personally had with this show is that it felt too much like The Next Generation with another cast

Yes, this is probably my biggest gripe with TNG and Voy-style Trek, so much of it seems to be all about the technobabble, not the characters.

John- who thinks Steef's reviews are spot-on

What can you say about a TV show were a black US president is one of the more believable aspacts in the show?

Did I just read that...? :unsure: