The Temple of Doom does it stand up after 24 years?

JoeinAR

I was thinking about my childhood and the Indy movies, and well i remembered this:

TOD was the 1st indy film i saw and taped on TV. My brother and sister and me liked this movie alot and watched it many times. I'm speaking arround 1990-2, year more, year less. (my sister 10 years, me 7 years, my little bro 4).

I remember neither of us were scared, and even the dinner scene was fun, or we made jokes with molaram and the funny chants.

Now Raiders and Last crusade, those have scary scenes (Ark opening and Donovan's death). I clearly remember closing my eyes and covering my face with my hands in the Ark scene, and even i think i could not spleep that night.

Furthermore TOD has Short round, which is a kid, and kids like movies with kids.

I mean, TOD can be a little 'revolting' but not scary or fearful as Raiders or to a minor extent Crusade is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a kids mind doesnt get the disturbing aspects as seriously as an adult's will do (and think that a child's mind might get).

I mean, i didnt get the sexual jokes in last crusade until i was a teenager, for example.

I was thinking about my childhood and the Indy movies, and well i remembered this:

TOD was the 1st indy film i saw and taped on TV.

TOD was the only Indiana film that I saw in my childhood, so was a favourite to me (Kalima!! Kalima!!). But now, I really think that altought it is a very entertaining movie, it is the worst in the trilogy. ROTLA is a masterpiece, no doubt. And LC is really great (the chemistry between Ford and Connery is fantastic) and it is the more "personal" story (for Indy and for Spielberg) of the saga.

Sexual jokes?

The talk about elsa when the joneses are tied up.

I never got that Henry Sr. f*cked with elsa. That is referenced two times in the move.

Or notice that (when it seems Indy falls asleep and doesnt happen anything) Marion, the morning after gets her night dress from outside the bed.

Or that Indy is a women-trigger happy fellow as James Bond.

TOD was the 1st indy film i saw and taped on TV.

TOD was the only Indiana film that I saw in my childhood

IIRC it aired several times until i saw at last Raiders. Last crusade wasnt on TV yes as it was very recent.

Or notice that (when it seems Indy falls asleep and doesnt happen anything) Marion, the morning after gets her night dress from outside the bed.

It wouldn't be their first time.

They did the nasty when she was still a minor.

I think the reason a lot of the darker elements of TOD seem not significantly more disturbing than Raiders is because of the more cartoony fashion a lot of it is done in. The first film actually seemed a bit more serious, whereas the second film was more fully representative of that whole 30's adventure serial vein. Not to say TOD doesn't have darkness and grossness, but I think the handling of what's there is influential in the reception of what's there as well.

It wouldn't be their first time.

They did the nasty when she was still a minor.

I just meant that it is subtle and a kid doesnt get it.

Neither the one you mentioned. One kid will think she was just his girlfriend. Nothing nasty involved