Prisoner of Azkaban vs. Goblet of Fire score

Gamecube

What will be the better score?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and The Prizoner of Azkaban
    • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    • I (Still) have not read the books

Note: This post contains information about and from the Harry Potter BOOKS The Prizoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire.

So, for people who have read the HP books, what will be the best score. POA, or GOF? The Prizoner of Azkaban has real potential for a horific score because of the Dementors and the Werewolf man, and they will proboly both have cool themes. It, like the other books, has quiditch matches, but I am wondering if John Williams can continue to make such good music for these scenes without repeating everything.

There could be a theme for Peter Petigrew as a rat and as his true self.I have forgotten much about this book, but will reread it soon.

Goblet of Fire has good potential, but will probobly have many things missing because it is such a long book. the triwizard Tournament is the highlight of the book. A dragon theme would be cool, for the first task, cool underwater music for the second, and sone kind of fanfafe for the last. At the end of course there will be some intense theme for when Harry sees all that Voldemort has killed. Moody could have a clunky, dark theme.

We are still not sure if Williams will do these scores, or Ross, but just pretend hi is if you like.

So please vote, tell why, and make other suggestions of what the scores for these movies might be like.

-Gamecube, hoping he gets some responses.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't possibly decide this early, so I didn't vote, but if the books are any indication each score should get progressively darker and moodier. Each book presents a chance for some very interesting character based thems with Lupin, Black, Moody and etc. GoF will likely present a better chance for some completely new action cues, with the Triwizard Tasks replacing quidditch matches.

Gamecube, I guess you missed it, but I'm pleased to inform you that Williams confirmed he will be scoring PoA in a recent magazine interview.

Goblet definatly. Of course it depends they will have to cut out a lot from the book to make the film under 4 hours. :|

Justin -Who wouldn't really mind a 4 hour Harry Potter movie. :P

POA, probably more du to the Dementors and because it maybe is a better background for character themes (GOF is more action driven I predict. But both movies have the potential for fantastic scores.

Am I the only one who has not read the book and don't know anything about the stories ?

Nobody else wants to have the surprise to discover ?

I know I've been repeating this for weeks/months. But PLEASE believe me. You ruin the surprises if you watch the movie first. To discover the surprises the best possible way, you HAVE to read the books first.

Marian - who feels sorry for all the people spoling Potter for themselves. :angry:

I agree with Marian. Read the books first. Don't waste an unique oportunity to really really enjoy a book. Trust me.

I completely agree here. I really hate it when people watch the first movie and decide not to read the books because they didn't appreciate the film. Read, then watch, I say.

what Marian and Merkel said.

When looking at the next to books, it is easy to see the development of certain themes, and the addition of new themes.

SPOILers ahead for those who don't read

POA

the dementors themes, Lupin's theme. Sirus' theme.

And not to forget, finally a Snape theme. It could be a dark score, not too dark, that is yet to come.

GOF.

the noble death of cedric Diggory, rebirth of voldemort. A theme for the deatheaters. Hagrid and the giants theme. this score will really need to be dark. the rebirth of Voldemort could rival the most evil themes John has ever written.

And the duel, how will John score the duel, especially when Lily yells to Harry, hang on your father is coming. Oh I just got covered in goosebumps thinking about that moment. GOF would have to be at least a 3 disc original score. John clear your table this is the score for Christmas 2005.

Imagine the year 2005, Star Wars Ep III, Indiana Jones IV, and Harry Potter and the GOF.

And the duel, how will John score the duel, especially when Lily yells to Harry, hang on your father is coming.  Oh I just got covered in goosebumps thinking about that moment.

I would hope and pray for the most emotionally driven rendition of the Family Theme yet (framed of course, by intense duel music).

Ray Barnsbury-getting shivers

A Face of Voldemort-type, action-heavy cue with an extra-dramatic rendition of the Family theme? And we have to wait several years for it? Argh!

Marian - to whom reading the finale of POA was like watching a movie (I have real movie scenes for much of it in my head, with camera angles and everything).

:sigh: Nino Rota film music compilation

A Face of Voldemort-type, action-heavy cue with an extra-dramatic rendition of the Family theme? And we have to wait several years for it? Argh!

:sigh:

Ray Barnsbury-Drooling

And the duel, how will John score the duel, especially when Lily yells to Harry, hang on your father is coming.  Oh I just got covered in goosebumps thinking about that moment.

I would hope and pray for the most emotionally driven rendition of the Family Theme yet (framed of course, by intense duel music).

Ray Barnsbury-getting shivers

WHOA EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS

goosebumps all over.

now i want to retract my GOF vote!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

I thought I might bring this thread back to life now, since the score for Goblet of Fire by patrick doyle and the movie is about come out soon and compare our thoughts on John Williams and Patrick Doyle scores for Harry Potter movies.