Hedwig's Theme - sort of.

Ren

We will always think about the beautiful snowy owl that HP has as Hedwig. The unmistakeable JW theme - perhaps to some : "overplayed".

But don't forget, there is a second owl in the next movie.

What a change: he looks even goofier than I expected.;

1035559382.2550571051.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hedwig was underrused in the first film. Was his name even mentioned?

Ted

I believe the only time his name was mentioned was a scene cut from the film. It can be found on the DVD.

Neil - who knows that the name of James Bond's "wife" in You Only Live Twice was Kissy Suzuki, even though it was never mentioned in the film

yes errol.

that's is so funny. i forgot about that. it's amazing how much hedwig's theme was used yet they never said the owl's name.

that's is so funny. i forgot about that.  it's amazing how much hedwig's theme was used yet they never said the owl's name.

exactly. hey Ren, what is the picture in your signature?

Ted, who is curious

i also pictured errol being a lot smaller

Me too I always thought Errol would be smaller than Hedwig and pure grey.

Justin -Who likes it anyway and can't wait to see "Pig." :mrgreen:

cuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!

Oh and I love Kylie Minogue as the Absynthe fairy!!!!!!! That was a great move on their part!

Errol looks perfectly goofy. :) I didn't imagine him being smaller than Hedwig (female, tpigeon!), the first time we see him he's being carried by two other owls, so I always thought he can't be too small.

Marian - who thinks that Pig will probably be CGI.

Pig doesn't have to be CGI? Why do you say that? If it's about how small the owl is, there are plenty of tiny owls. I can't remember how big the smallest owl is but even the "Little Owl" only grows to a maximum of 8 1/2 inches (22cm) and some of them stop at 6 to 7 inches, compared to Hedwig, a "Snowy Owl" that is around 23 inches (58 cm) that's tiny, and compared to Errol ....

I hope it's not completely CGI!!!!!

You know there is a scene in HP where Harry is outside in the snow, with Hedwig, and the owl takes off. The music is Change of Season, track #10.

It is a beautiful scene combining both real owl and cgi. It is one of the many magical moments of this film. Its sole purpose is its magical presence.

You know there is a scene in HP where Harry is outside in the snow, with Hedwig, and the owl takes off.  The music is Change of Season, track #10.

It is a beautiful scene combining both real owl and cgi.  It is one of the many magical moments of this film.  Its sole purpose is its magical presence.

yes, i think that is a brilliant scene. and the music captures ever so beautifully what the images convey. i love the cool colors and how the owl takes off into the white and then the camera pans down to Hogwarts in the springtime, all green. in my opinion, it's masterful, yet so simple.

Ted, who thinks that subtlty in Film is the very effective yet so rarely achieved, especially by today's directors.

You know there is a scene in HP where Harry is outside in the snow, with Hedwig, and the owl takes off.  The music is Change of Season, track #10.

It is a beautiful scene combining both real owl and cgi.  It is one of the many magical moments of this film.  Its sole purpose is its magical presence.

yes, i think that is a brilliant scene. and the music captures ever so beautifully what the images convey. i love the cool colors and how the owl takes off into the white and then the camera pans down to Hogwarts in the springtime, all green. in my opinion, it's masterful, yet so simple.

Yes, to Joe and Ted! That scene is purely wonderful, and the music gives me goosebumps. One more reason Harry Potter is so great.

Ray Barnsbury

For Pig, the filmmakers could use one of the pygmy owl species, most of which do not exceed 7.5 inches in height.

Errol is only described as a large gray owl in the novels, but not specifically by species. The producers likely assumed he was a Great Gray, the species in the photo. There isn't much that can be done about the size difference without some kind of genetic engineering. Though, I must admit, the owl shown does look significantly healthier that imagined Errol to be, but it's not like the can pluck the poor bird just for the film.

The owls used to portray Hedwig are both males, even though the owl in the book is supposed to be female. Males were chosen because the females appear to be gray, rather than white, because their black markings are so much more distinct.

That's probably more information than you ever wanted about owls, though, eh? However if you want more, or just want to see photos of some of the various species listed in the books, check out The Owl Pages .

Joe, in that brief docu somewhere on the second DVD (which I only found once, by accident), they say that in that Hedwig flying Change of Seasons scene, no CGI was used (at least not for the owl). :)

Pig doesn't have to be CGI?  Why do you say that?  If it's about how small the owl is, there are plenty of tiny owls.

But he's supposed to be ultra-hectic. I can't imagine them taking a real small owl, making it zoom around extra-quickly everywhere, and still do what he's supposed to do. :)

Marian - who imagines Pig like the owls in the forest in the Asterix cartoons.

:banghead: Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith

I don't see why they would have to use CGI for Errol. :) Most of the owl stuff in the first movie was done using real owls, as fas as I know. Just that the post owls in the great hall are several shots of owls flying through the hall put together, otherwise they would have collided.

:banghead: Christus Apollo (Jerry Goldsmith)

Just that the post owls in the great hall are several shots of owls flying through the hall put together, otherwise they would have collided.  

my sick sense of humour thinks that's funny!

I thought they might do CGI or something to make errol look weary and feathers all a skew. but then again, i'm sure they could stick some feathers here and there and make him look like that too. :banghead: