Soul legend Isaac Hayes dies

(CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Schular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967.

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" became a pop hit and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert on Hayes' music, but he was Chef, and he was the the Duke of New York, and those are reasons enough to bum me out.

Also, "Theme from Shaft" is about as cool a song as has ever been recorded. If you listen to that song and don't feel a little more manly, then I assume you are a woman. In which case, you're probably making fun of the rest of us. Still, that was a richly deserved Oscar.

Who's the black private dick

That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

SHAFT!

Ya damn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck

For his brother man?

SHAFT!

Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out

When there's danger all about?

SHAFT!

Right On!

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft.

THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man

But no one understands him but his woman

JOHN SHAFT!

Bernie Mac and now Issac Hayes. The world is a little less cool now. Since its celebrities in threes, I wonder who the third one will be?

Austrian's ex-chancellor Fred Sinowatz, apparently.

Bernie Mac and now Issac Hayes. The world is a little less cool now. Since its celebrities in threes, I wonder who the third one will be?

RIP, Chef

There were plans for Morgan Freeman, but God didn't want to come off as racist.