A. I. 2CD Promo: a cd-r or what?

load3

Does the Promotion 2 CD Set of "A. I." ( see picture below) consists of 2 CD-R ? All I know is that there is no factory-pressed version of the promotion 2 CD Set.

So if the 2 CDs are "Bootleg" CD-Rs , how could I know that they are originals and no burned copies (with the cover scanned and printed) ?

LoAd3 - who is very confused about bootlegs and CD-Rs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 2 cd set was the oscar promo, the sample Warner Brother sent to the Academy of Motion Picture Art and yadayadayda (the Oscar guys) in order to present the score as a potential candidate to the academy award.

Somehow, some people were able to get their hands on this 2-cd promo and it became widespread. Although it is not oficially for sale, it is a oficial release and the sound quality is equivalent to the original cd. In fact, due to the number of tracks it has, it makes the original cd obsolete.

Did the people from AMPA (and the Oscar guys) really got 2 CD-Rs with hand writen text on the CD?

Imagine I have seen the 2 CD set on ebay.

I mean, is there a way to identify that these 3 cds are the Original ones given to the " Oscar people" by the responsible studio?

Is there any printing on the CDs?

The oscar promo only has 2 cd's.

CD 1 has 11 tracks and cd 2 has 18 (oficially untitled).

I can't post a picure of the cover (I've tried but with no success).

BUt it's more or less like this: It has the Warner Brothers logo on top, followed by a text that reads "For your consideration: best original score". Then it has the title of the movie and the movie's logo.

Hope it helps.

If just asked and the seller of the AI Promos told me that

the 2 CDs are "Bootleg CD-Rs".

As far as I can see it, it is not the original version given to the AMPAS people

(because indysolo mentioned that there is (according to his knowledge) a pressed version).

And therefore I will NOT buy this version from ebay.

Thanks everyone for your help! (Merkel and Indysolo :|

@merkel:

do you actually also know what is printed on the 2 CDs?

You described the front cover (inlay) of the CD and it's the same

with the one I've seen on ebay.

But covers can be scaned and printed?

So whats on the CDs?

BTW: Here's the link with the picture.

Thanks a lot!

Ha ha! If I'm not mistaken, that's Jim Ware's tracklist that was posted here several months ago. I could be wrong about that though. I remember great debates over what music was what.

Neil

That's the cover I have (but I own a copy). As for the cd's themselves (I think that was your question), I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the orginal art printed on them.

the cover to that item should be the right one,but the Jewel case is suspect.the 2 c.d. printed on the black hinge is usually just there when you purchase empty replacement double c.d. jewel cases.

K.M.

As a HUGE A.I. fan I was lucky enough to pick up a whole bunch of score goodies - the original 2CD Oscar promo, a brochure about why JW should be considered for the award (I didn't need convincing!), a covering letter to Academy members submitting the CDs, with an apology stating that the original single CD promo that went out had some technical faults, so was to be replaced by the double set. Not only that, but the 'faulty' CD was also included (although it seems to work - quite similar to the official release but with a few extra tracks).

The official artwork for the promo is a white cover with the Warner Bros and A.I. logo on the front, together with 'For Your Consideration - Best Original Score' as well as the name of the film and composer.

It remains my most treasured gem in my collection! (Although I'm still looking for that elusive expanded Cowboys cd!).

Hi everybody, I hope I will help you with my answer :sigh:.

First, you have to know that every end of year, the Academy members received materials called "for your consideration" in order to choose the nominees.

For the best score, they received CDs and Warner Bros sent last year a few Oscar promos for several films, including A.I. and Harry Potter.

The case of A.I. is special. First, they send a single CD album containing 11 tracks, the same music than the commercial release, except the "For Always" song.

I own this release and I can tell it is a pressed album. The front cover is the following one :

aipromo1.jpg

It contains the Warner Bros. Pictures logo, the A.I. logo and the following text : for your consideration, Artificial Intelligence, Composer John Williams.

There is no back cover and then, no tracking list available.

On the CD itself, it is just written A.I., Composer: John Williams.

A few days letter, the Academy members received another album for A.I.

This time, they received a two CDs set containing precious previously unreleased music.

This album is also a pressed release. The front cover is exactly the same as the first one, there is no back cover and nothing more written on the CDs except Disc One and Disc Two.

Needless to say that this album is very hard to find as it is usually sold at an incredible price at eBay, but remember that promotional albums are not supposed to be sold...

Now, be aware that sometimes people sell CD-R copies of this album using a wonderful cover designed by Luis Rojas :

AI2CDLuis.gifAI2CDLuisBC.gif

The tracking list printed on this album has been conceived by members of this board.

Don't buy this album as it is a copy like a lot of us can burn and send to anybody.

To sum it up, it only exists one regular but hard to find 2CDs set with pressed CDs for the A.I. score and it only contains a white front cover.