Favourite statement of the Raiders March?

Maxxie

Well, which one's your favourite? :wave:

Mine are:

A: The one at the end of "Short Round Helps", although the one at the end of "Fast Streets Of Shanghai" is great too.

B: Three contenders for me. The one at during the unreleased portion of "The Jungle Chase", the one in "Desert Chase" and the one at the very end of "Return To The Village."

So what's yours? :lol:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah...this is a tough one. Thank you for not posting a poll. Ummm...I guess instinctively, I'm gonna have to go with the first big statements of both, in Raiders' "Flight from Peru." So insanely exciting to listen to. I still remember the huge grin I found myself involuntarily sporting when I first heard that on the soundtrack. I have a lot of favorites, though.

There are several statements of the A theme in Indy's very first adventure from LC (all of them in the section only recently released) that I really enjoy. I particularly like the ones when young Indy picks up the whip and when he receives the fedora. I also like the variations in Map/out of fuel from TOD, as well as many others...

A: The one at the end of "Short Round Helps", although the one at the end of "Fast Streets Of Shanghai" is great too.

I actually prefer the one near the beginning of "Short Round Helps." Great buildup with Short Round's theme.

I absolutely love the "B Theme" in "Fast Streets of Shanghai", when Indy dons his trademark outfit aboard the airplane. I also like the unconventional statements of the "Raiders March", such as those found in "The Sword Trick", "Water!", "Map/Out of Fuel", "Flight from Peru", and so forth.

When Indy boards the sub.

Ditto. Without question, this is the statement that makes the entire theater want to jump out of their seats and cheer. I miss the days when Williams would let loose with a full on statement of the main theme within a key scene of the film... The Luke/Leia swing in the Death Star, the Superman Helicopter rescue, the E.T. flying scene.

I feel like that statement in "Flight from Peru" is a bigger jump-out-of-your-seat-and-cheer moment, personally. The one on the sub is just a little too...jolly, I guess, for my tastes. But I can see how it could be more appealing to some listeners.

The one on the sub is just a little too...jolly, I guess, for my tastes. But I can see how it could be more appealing to some listeners.

If the score was one iota less amazing, this moment would come off as corny and self-congratulatory, but Williams got away with it. He got away with it brilliantly.

If the score was one iota less amazing, this moment would come off as corny and self-congratulatory, but Williams got away with it. He got away with it brilliantly.

I think Raiders ranks as one of the most amazing scores of all time, but it still is a bit too corny and self-congratulatory for my tastes. Emphasis on "a bit." I've always enjoyed it to a certain extent, and it's grown on me. But I do enjoy other statements much more.

The bit at the end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai" is definitely a favorite of mine, but I actually like the buildup more than the actual statement of the theme.

I think Raiders ranks as one of the most amazing scores of all time, but it still is a bit too corny and self-congratulatory for my tastes. Emphasis on "a bit."

That's one of the aspects I love about the Indy films. They're shamelessy cheesy, and that makes them a ton of fun. Each film has cheesiness (some more than others), whether you like it or not.

The bit at the end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai" is definitely a favorite of mine, but I actually like the buildup more than the actual statement of the theme.

Yeah, same here. I still count that as part of the theme, as the only reason the build up is there is to make the main theme sound better.

That's one of the aspects I love about the Indy films. They're shamelessy cheesy, and that makes them a ton of fun. Each film has cheesiness (some more than others), whether you like it or not.

Raiders isn't shamelessly cheesy. That role is unabashedly occupied by TOD and, to a somewhat lesser degree, TLC. Even that scene in Raiders isn't all that cheesy, in and of itself, but the scoring pushes it a bit over the top.

Yeah, same here. I still count that as part of the theme, as the only reason the build up is there is to make the main theme sound better.

But...it's not part of the theme. :P It's an original passage that happens to come before the theme in that one instance. A theme is necessarily a melody that gets used repeatedly.

Raiders isn't shamelessly cheesy. That role is unabashedly occupied by TOD and, to a somewhat lesser degree, TLC. Even that scene in Raiders isn't all that cheesy, in and of itself, but the scoring pushes it a bit over the top.

The intention was to "nod" to the action-adventure serials of the 1930's, was it not?

Oh, and I honestly did not even remember the "Raiders March" statement when the Lao Che plane takes off. All about the "B Theme", for me....

The intention was to "nod" to the action-adventure serials of the 1930's, was it not?

True, but one can pay homage to the strengths of a genre without totally falling victim to its shortcomings. ROTLA did a brilliant job of that, IMO. You get the adventure spirit with hints of quirky humor and off-kilter romance, and a generous helping of earnestness without the cheesiness. That's why I'd easily take Raiders over all three sequels anyday. :P

All Indy films contain cheesiness to some degree, Raiders to the least extent.

But...it's not part of the theme. :P It's an original passage that happens to come before the theme in that one instance. A theme is necessarily a melody that gets used repeatedly.

I didn't mean to type part of the theme as much as I meant to type part of the variation. It is essential to the theme in this one case, the only reason it's there is to complement the theme.

To be honest, if I did not know any better, I would think that "Raiders of the Lost Ark" came from the 1930's, and the score enforces that. I have no idea what "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was trying to "nod" to, and I always felt that "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was "nodding" to Saturday...what is the word, propaganda(?) cartoons, with the caricaturized Nazis and things like that. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" "nodded" to 1950's science fiction ( and to be honest, I thought it was a nice approach, considering the time period the story was set in), and...wait, why I am saying these things? Am I trying to prove a point to you or what?

Right, but Raiders doesn't do it shamelessly. It sneaks into the film in little ways, rarely detracting from it. Then Willie enters the picture in TOD and all that goes to pieces. :P

Seriously, what is "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" trying to harken back to? I hope I do not sound as if I hate the film: I think it is great, and I also think it is a pity that Steven Spielberg feels the way he does about it.

Right, but Raiders doesn't do it shamelessly. It sneaks into the film in little ways, rarely detracting from it. Then Willie enters the picture in TOD and all that goes to pieces. :P

Well I think that the cheesiness felt in the other films add their brilliance. The restrained cheesiness works in Raiders, the bombastic cheesiness works in ToD, LC, and KotCS.

Indy swings into the mine cart (the best of them all)

Young Indy escapes the train

Indy is spotted on the submarine

I think those are the best from each movie. My vote for KOTCS would have been for the variant heard when Mutt swings on vines, but popular opinion is that one's Mutt's Theme.

Well I think that the cheesiness felt in the other films add their brilliance. The restrained cheesiness works in Raiders, the bombastic cheesiness works in ToD, LC, and KotCS.

If I were a better citizen of this weird little online society, I would be informing you right now that you are absolutely, 100% wrong. But I'm not...so I'll keep that particular thought to myself. :P

Indy swings into the mine cart (the best of them all)

:lol:

Thank you for not posting a poll.

Lol I couldn't, there'd be too many options! :devil: