"Earth" Soundtrack?

scallenger

I just saw "Earth" yesterday (an edited, shorter Disney version of the popular BBC miniseries "Planet Earth") and liked it very much, although I wish they would have showed a bit more from the series (nothing from my favorite episode "Caves" gets shown in the film at all, which I thought was a serious misstep) instead of focusing on some other things for too long (the polar bears get way too much screen time, such as the elephants). However it was a good "general" presentation of what the series is like.

One thing, actually, that I think almost topped the series though was the music, scored again by George Fenton. Unlike the television version, you can tell he was able to work with a bigger orchestra here, and the performances show a great improvement with their bold statements. The action sequences also sound faster and scarier. He uses what sounds like the same themes from the television version, though a bit different.

I MUST get this version he did for the movie! Does anyone agree?

Unfortunately, I do not see it listed on Amazon.com or on Disney's site. Only the 2CD soundtrack for the television series "Planet Earth" version. Anyone know of any details of when this comes out or if it will at all?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this movie almost a year ago (must have had different release dates in Europe) and all the music sounded like it was lifted directly from the soundtrack of the series, even though the credits claim the Earth score was recorded by the Berliner Philarmonic (contrary to the series, which was a BBC orchestra, I believe). I really can't tell any difference and all the music I heard in the movie is available in the cd, but some tracks were mixed together. BUt I've also noticed there are different soundtracks for this movie, depending of what version you watch, so it is possible Fenton indeed wrote new music for this theatrical feature. The version I saw, I believe, had none.

Interesting. The movie version of Blue Planet nicely fleshed out some bits and offered great performances. Plus Earth could considerably benefit from some condensation in my opinion. So I might want to have this if it gets released and is actually different.

I wish they would have showed a bit more from the series (nothing from my favorite episode "Caves" gets shown in the film at all, which I thought was a serious misstep) instead of focusing on some other things for too long (the polar bears get way too much screen time, such as the elephants).

That was actually the point. The film follows 3 "families" of animals. Polar bears, elephants, and something else I don't remember. I'd rather watch the series.

I'm pretty sure at least for the American release of "Earth" that I just saw that the music was rerecorded by Fenton, like he did for "Blue Planet". The music sounded so much bolder and more powerful than it did on the show in it's performance, and that is not just because it was played on louder speakers, lol. I really, really hope Disney issues a CD of this version of the score.

And I think you are right, Koray Savas. I did hear about the "three families" they were meant to follow, I forgot about that. And it was the polar bears, elephants, and the whales they followed, for the most part. They sidetracked a little bit on some other species but not for very long, of course.

I just checked whether there is a soundtrack for "Unsere Erde", as it was called in Germany last year, but couldn't find anything, either. Interestingly, there is a separate soundtrack for the feature film version of "Blue Planet".

There isn't a release AFAIK. A lot of the music is very similar, but it's re-orchestrated and I'd agree that it would be worth having.

I have 3 clips recorded from the Earth site (can't find it at the moment): the main title, the Angel Falls segment and what seems to be The Lion and the Oryx with a vocal overlay. I'll make these clips available if requested.

I think an isolated score on the DVD or blu-ray of all of Fenton's various Earth scores would have been a great idea. I've heard there's a music & sfx track on Deep Blue which seems useless if it just gets rid of the sparse narration (which eliminating the centre channel would do anyway).

The version of I saw of Earth, the first couple of minutes of music (when they are describing how Earth is the lucky planet and all that) were a mix of the tracks Prelude and The Wolf and the Caribou from the Planet Earth soundtrack. I'm not sure if it was a new recording, BUt I'm pretty sure it consisted mainly of these two tracks merged together.

Correction of my previous post. The two merged tracks I mentioned are heard 1.45 minutes into the movie, when the narrator says "landscapes of spectacular beauty".

Interestingly, there is a separate soundtrack for the feature film version of "Blue Planet".

Of course. Both the series soundtrack and the film soundtrack have a release, and both are worth having.

I've made a comparison video (the track from Earth is seems to be comprised of 3 tracks from Planet Earth merged together, but I can't place the last one, though I'm sure it is also on the Planet Earth soundtrack...somewhere). The Earth cue is taken from the English version of the movie:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Rom...earth_music.flv

I've made a comparison video (the track from Earth is seems to be comprised of 3 tracks from Planet Earth merged together, but I can't place the last one, though I'm sure it is also on the Planet Earth soundtrack...somewhere). The Earth cue is taken from the English version of the movie:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Rom...earth_music.flv

You may be right there... but what about these parts of "Earth" VS "Planet Earth". Below, compare these parts in the two films. I believe the following parts at least have been re-recorded by Fenton:

When the wolf chases the caribou. The film version has a much more thrilling and exciting cue, fuller orchestra.

When the little ducks jump out of the tree. Seems much more dramatic in parts near the end than I remember.

Possibly when the lions start to get on the elephant, trying to take it down. Sounds more intense.

When the dolphins appear and the swordfish do their chase. Again more thrilling and exciting.

I noticed also there are parts they DEFINATELY rescored for the US version only (I have now seen the UK version to compare). The part where they reveal the Angel Falls waterfall is rescored to have a more ethnic sound, as is the the very end of the film (where they changed the ending a bit, not making it as dark, and showing scenes again of stuff you have... already seen) again with the same ethnic sound. They also added bits of comedic jazzy music when you see the birds do their mating dance and when the baboons are swimming around in the water. All of these bits I don't think were scored by Fenton, though. I noticed in the end credits (which also seems to have unknown music) they listed additional composers.

I could be wrong about most or ALL of this (lol) but this is what I gathered.

Why do these documentaries get different sound tracks (literally) for different English-speaking countries in the first place? Starting with replacing the original narrator. What for?