Orchestration Question No. 15260

Swordfish392

Another orchestration question for you guys :lol:

I'm just looking at a score, but instead of 2 there are 3 violin sections. Does this mean more of them?? Or is this just written for a better overview?

Any help appreciated.

cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing what piece you're looking at, I am unable to answer that. It is possible that the composer desires a larger string section, but the division could be done due to how often the parts would require divisi lines. Check the score's preamble.

Vaughan-Williams' score for the Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis calls for the strings to be divided in three uneven groups: a string quartet; a "regular" string section (with the last desk of cellos on a separate line); and a middle-sized group consisting of one desk of Vln 1, Vln, 2, Vla, and VC along with a lone DB. As far as I know, when it is performed in concert, it is done so using the orchestra's normal compliment of string players.

I'm in agreement with bruckhorn. It COULD signify a larger violin section, but sometimes it's simply more convenient and legible to write out divisi passages on more than one line. Check out Stravinsky scores if you want to see some insane numbers of divisi staves. (My copy of "The Firebird" has the violin I, violin II, viola, cello, and bass parts EACH written in three separate divisi staves at one point.)

I'm looking at one of these old disney scores....you know, with lush strings, chorus etc.

Unfortunately there aren't any notes about the staff in the preamble or at the beginning of the score...

@Datameister

My copy has only one additional celli stave...and these are pretty usual (same with one additional viola stave), especialy in film music.

Btw, here's another piece which has 3 violins:

I think sometimes the first violins are divided into Violins Ia and Ib, which doesn't necessarily mean more players. Maybe it's the same thing with your score, and it's just noted differently.

Check out Richard Strauss' score of Also Sprach Zarathustra, Von den Hinterwelten. At some point every desk has it's own staves. It's an orchestrational effect that creates really a wealth of violin string sound. Korngold also loves divisi parts in the string sections. I think it is something typically Austrian ;)

Check out Richard Strauss' score of Also Sprach Zarathustra, Von den Hinterwelten. At some point every desk has it's own staves. It's an orchestrational effect that creates really a wealth of violin string sound. Korngold also loves divisi parts in the string sections. I think it is something typically Austrian ;)

Interesting. ;)

So more staves dosn't mean more instruments...(I mean they are allready around 30 instruments, more would probably give you some kind of violin overload, so it's entirely plausible)

Interesting. ;)

So more staves dosn't mean more instruments...(I mean they are allready around 30 instruments, more would probably give you some kind of violin overload, so it's entirely plausible)

It's most likely just a divisi; however, while it's entirely possible for a composer to ask for there to be 3 distinct violin sections, the players would probably find it rather odd (since they're so used to 'following' the concertmaster and principal second).

Except Strauss was German. ;) And Korngold was heavily influenced by him.