2002 was a great year; now what?

What a year it has been -- four major new scores by John Williams, some great concerts, and surprising re-releases. With every new soundtrack, it seems, there is the promise of another in just a month or two.

But now what? I don't see another score on the horizon until 2004. I know we have been spoiled this year, but I don't think I can last that long until another new soundtrack appears by my favorite composer. Surely there must be some other projects rumored to be in the offing for 2003?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I mean that in a broader sense.

I was just generally let down by everyone in 2002.

Hans Zimmer (Did this guy release any scores this year?)

Danny Elfman (that Spiderman score was lacking)

John Williams (Minority Report awww no more please)

Jerry Goldsmith (Haven't heard anything from this guy)

The best score of 2002 for me at least is still HP&TCOS. I just hope 2003 turns out better.

The idiots at the other boards'll probably give the "Composer of the Year" votes to James Newton Howard (Signs, The Emperor's Club, Treasure Island) when he deserves nothing of the sort. Ryan Keaveney'll inevitably hand the award to Danny Elfman (Spider-Man, Men in Black II, Red Dragon) again...

I haven't heard The Two Towers yet, but if it lives up to hype (unlike FOTR), then it's been Shore's year.

Other than that, the soundtracks in my signature still stand as the highlights of the year.

I'm glad Johnny's taking the year off from Hollywood; he needs to go home and re-think his music. (Hey, like AOTC or not, you do have to acknowledge that's one of the most memorable lines in the saga.)

It is. Its just not a JW FANATIC board.

Look John did OK this year I guess. I personally just did not really dig much of his work.

I just preffered his work from previous years.

Every score that John Williams wrote from 1991-2000 (save Jurassic Park) is a masterpiece or near-masterpiece. I'm not being sarcastic.

There? Are you happy? I'm just a disappointed John Williams fan, that's all.

Well, I will not think of 2002 as the greatest film music year in history, but I've had some real treat spread out all over the year. Over all, it has truly been the year of the sequels, so we haven't had too many completley new scores.

Here are my awards for 2002.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: The Two Towers (Howard Shore)

COMPOSER OF THE YEAR: John Williams (Harry Potter 2, Star Wars II, Minority Report)

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Klaus Badelt

BEST MAIN TITLE: Prof. Alexander Hartdegen (Klaus Badelt, Time Machine)

BEST NEW THEME: Fawkes The Phoenix (HP & COS, John Williams)

BEST LOVE THEME: Across The Stars (AOTC, John Williams)

BEST EMOTIONAL CUE: Across The Stars (AOTC, John Williams)

BEST HORROR CUE: Enter The Dragon (Reign of Fire,Edward Shearmur)

BEST EPIC CUE: Valley of The Dead (The Scorpion King, John Debney)

BEST ACTION CUE: The Hornburg (The Two Towers, Howard Shore)

Well, that's it.

This was a dissapointing year in terms of new music. My favorites are Chamber of Secrets, Femme Fatale and Nemesis. But then most of the films this year have been let downs too.

Neil

Well I mean that in a broader sense.  

I was just generally let down by everyone in 2002.  

Danny Elfman (that Spiderman score was lacking)

What about his superb Red Dragon score ?...

Best Score: Attack of the Clones

Best Theme: The Chamber of Secrets

Composer of the Year: John Williams

Best Love Theme: Across the Stars

Best Villain Theme: Chamber of Secrets

Best Opening Track: Minority Report

Best Action Track: Zam the Assassin

Every score that John Williams wrote from 1991-2000 (save Jurassic Park) is a masterpiece or near-masterpiece.  I'm not being sarcastic.

There?  Are you happy?  I'm just a disappointed John Williams fan, that's all.

Every score Williams wrote from 2000 to 2002 is a masterpiece or near masterpiece. And I'm not kidding either. :)

Every score that John Williams wrote from 1991-2000 (save Jurassic Park) is a masterpiece or near-masterpiece.  I'm not being sarcastic.

And Jurassic Park is the best of the 90's which I feel is a very mediocre decade for John, certainly typical of his fall from greatness. Thankfully because of Harry, John has managed to find some of his former glory, and Catch Me is just brilliant on first impressions.

And Jurassic Park is the best of the 90's which I feel is a very mediocre decade for John, certainly typical of his fall from greatness. Thankfully because of Harry, John has managed to find some of his former glory, and Catch Me is just brilliant on first impressions.

And here's one of many areas in which we will never agree. :)

And here's one of many areas in which we will never agree. :)

Lets agree on this then Alan, there are many scores by John, some which are not going to appeal everyone, but you are someone who has found value in scores I don't, and others, necessarily appreciate. That in itself is a good thing. It is a commonality in the broadest sense in that as a whole we are JWFans, in not pointedly so towards any one score.

Have not heard this. How is it?

I was very impressed. But its best to hear it first within the context of the film.

There is a little audio clip of it on my signature below. :)

...I love the theme but the rest can get a wee boring but still I haven't seen it in the film.

Justin - :)

Yes. You really need to see the film really to connect with the score.

But a thousand salutations and showerings of flowers for buying it ;)

Melange :)