Classical scores tha evoke filmic fantasy

filmmusic

Since this thread was resurrected, i thought to put here Barber's Music for a Scene from Selley, that i was just listening and was mentioned earlier..

An exquisite magical piece, that seems that it could be written for a Star Trek movie or another epic sci-fi.. (I hear echoes of Goldsmith and Horner - listen especially to 4.24 and on)

It starts slowly with repeated patterns climaxing to 3.19 (from there and on it's my favourite part).

If only sci-fi of today had such highly crafted music!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L_0vzg8sFg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until now have been mentioned only composers from late romantic to modern period but personally I find already Mendelssohn's Hebrides from 1834 surprisingly fresh and evocative given how old it is and that Mendelssohn was a rather conservative composer (his early music is pretty Mozartean).

Wagnerian Opera is the epitome of all classical music that evokes filmic fantasy. There are none higher.

What about Strauss? There are parts in Elektra that seem to be scored like a film.

Strauss is fantastic too... But IMHO, he's no Wagner....

Wagnerian Opera is the epitome of all classical music that evokes filmic fantasy. There are none higher.

What about Strauss? There are parts in Elektra that seem to be scored like a film.

Quite the contrary.

Quite the contrary.

That was sufficiently ambiguous...

Quite the contrary.

That was sufficiently ambiguous...

Wagner is fantastic too...but IMHO, he's no Strauss :-)

Of course Strauss owes a lot to Wagner, but harmonically as well as to orchestration, Strauss is much more refined than Wagner.

Anyway, both have their own merits.

Wagner is fantastic too...but IMHO, he's no Strauss :-)

Of course Strauss owes a lot to Wagner, but harmonically as well as to orchestration, Strauss is much more refined than Wagner.

Anyway, both have their own merits.

Definitely well-noted. Strauss surely IS much more musically refined than Wagner, but in the realm of filmic fantasy, I don't believe that Strauss can touch Wagner. Simply a difference of opinion I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...