BloodBoal

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'tortured' brass one. It plays throughout the trilogy. I believe it's first heard when we cut to the Nazgul leaving Minas Morgul via the great gates.

Oh, that one. I have mixed feelings about that one. It can be kind of annoying. But it also fits...I dunno. I was thinking of that low brass theme in 5/4.

Data meant the Isengard theme and the Mordor theme people refer to is the Mordor/Evil of the Ring theme played often with rhaita and brass.

I think the melody isn't quite given because we're no longer dealing with Isengard's army. But the army of Mordor is portrayed so similarly that it must have been necessary for Shore to at least suggest the Isengard music.

I think the melody isn't quite given because we're no longer dealing with Isengard's army. But the army of Mordor is portrayed so similarly that it must have been necessary for Shore to at least suggest the Isengard music.

In essence the industry of Isengard was but an imitation of Mordor so Shore combines here the Isengard theme and Threat of Mordor into a single entity that also suggests the Witch King/The Orcs of Mordor theme in the same melody. Isengard's musical material migrates to Mordor after Saruman has been vanquished, perhaps suggesting the origins of that power to begin with. And certainly there is a visual and even a idea connection between the Uruk-hai and the "new" Mordor Orcs seen in ROTK.

And I do love the music in the Land of Shadow. Brutal Orc music with attitude. Shore cleverly connects the early scenes (and music) of the Uruk-hai in TTT (Uglúk's Warriors) with the scene in ROTK where they act just as "civil" towards each other.

I don't think I'll ever understand why Joe can't get into the LOTR scores. Baffling.

I'll never understand the taste of LOTR fans - those statements of the theme are my least favorite that I've heard! :P

because they are the biggest, brassiest, high pitched stringed renditions of the theme.

and the grace of undomiel version reminds me of western music, like gandalf should be holding onto a rifle instead of his staff.

Oh, I can get into them to some degree, Jay. FOTR more than the other two. And I don't deny that they are ambitious, well-thought-out, traditionally symphonic, impressively leitmotivic, emotionally accessible scores. But like with the films themselves, there's just a certain intangible quality about them that really bothers me at times. They take themselves sooooooooooo seriously, to the point where it starts to become unintentionally humorous. I feel a pompous, self-important tone that's more prominent in some scenes and cues than others. (That tone is almost entirely absent from Game of Thrones, incidentally, which I appreciate. The series, not the score, I mean - obviously, Shore's LOTR is a million times better than Djawadi's GOT.) There are also passages that seem to just aimlessly meander from note to note, like Shore knew where he needed to get but wasn't sure how to come up with something interesting along the way. FOTR seems to have fewer of those, and I like the fact that it's a little more balanced with the Shire music.

FWIW, my neighbors are watching FOTR this evening, and I only know this because I recognized the score (and a bit of Elrond's Elvish near the beginning), and I've been enjoying the bits that I hear. I don't want to give the impression that I'm some sort of LOTR hater. There are parts of these scores that I absolutely love. I just have to be listening to the right parts at the right time. :)

sleepy.gif

Like Quint, I disliked this theme in the beginning. Unlike Quint, I never stopped.

So neither! Ha!

A person who doesn't like the Gondor theme is either a fool, or King Mark. And apparently, your username doesn't start with a "k"... ;)

I mean, I can understand people not liking themes from LOTR, but the Gondor theme, really ? That's probably the best theme from the entire score ! It's LOTR Force theme !

no, its LOTR's Rebel Fanfare

Breach of the Deeping Wall and The Wargs of Isengard are brilliant also