Star Wars roller coaster coming to Disney theme parks?

Jay

Generally disinterest. Living in Pennsylvania, vacations always extended to driving distance, and so Florida was tough and California was out of the question. This involves air travel. No Disney park can be enjoyed in a day, so now hotels are required. The parks themselves are extremely expensive -- admission, food, souvenirs, etc. -- and considering how popular they are, would be extremely crowded. Long lines for the rides.

I've been to three "major" theme parks: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point, and US: Islands of Adventure, and all occasions were school/college trips where the logistics were handled for me. They were fun, but I'm in no big hurry to return.

All I really like about theme parks is having my body thrown about in fun crazy ways. I don't care about actors dressed up as legendary cartoon characters or having to buy into the notion that a Disney park is part of the American Dream. You live in SoCal so you have no excuse to not go or worship at the mausoleum with Walt Disney's frozen corpse. There are a few amusement parks in driving distance, and while you'd consider them small, they're enough for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the alcohol or for the rides?

One other thing I forgot to mention is that Big Thunder is a much more thrilling attraction at WDW - the Disneyland one is still fun - one of my favorites - but there's not enough room for all the drops it wants to have, so some of them end up being lackluster.

Not for the booze...for the rest of it, minus Finding Nemo and the Donald Duck boat ride. To continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth! No other park is as inspiring to the human spirit.

As for Thunder, that is true. Though I've heard the one in Paris is even better.

I also have to give props to the Florida version of Pirates of the Caribbean, which is constantly compared to the one at Disneyland because it's missing some scenes. While I think they're pretty much on an even keel at this point given they've been polluted with the movie crap, WDW has the better waiting line in the abandoned fort. I think it was actually the first immersively themed queuing area. Disneyland's has got nothing on it.

WDW also has The Great Movie Ride. The whole Disney's California Adventure park can't stand up against that one.

Finally, Wojo is right about Disney being expensive. I can afford it and I'm forced to pay the higher prices, but I feel they're becoming more of an elitist kind of organization. Pushing $100 for a ticket!

But I love Disney's stuff. Would visit any Disney park any time.

The ending is really abrupt, and the ride is too bright overall, but it's a pretty darn good dark ride in the Disney tradition. Not exactly mind-blowing, but a solid (and needed) addition to DCA. A few of the animatronics in Mermaid are really incredible too. I'm not sure if you can tell in the video, but Ariel's hair is animated and moves like the rest of her body.

Returning to the original topic, it turns out that this wasn't actually from WDI at all, which I pretty much suspected from the start. Still pretty damn cool, though! Dig it: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/05/all-about-incredible-star-wars-warring.html

I had a similar concept for this type of a ride to replace Star Tours many years ago. Back then, the rumor was that they would change it to a podracing ride, which was ludicrous (and survived in one version of the new ride). My idea was to be combine technologies of various rides to that point and a create a new super-attraction--Spider-Man style simulators, interactive arcade style shooter controls tied into each seat, giant Back to the Future style screens, in-theater effects and potential for various ride combinations so the experience would vary. It would be set around Return of the Jedi's space battle and you could join either the rebels or the Empire. I thought it was a neat concept.