Tanglewood Aug. 20, 2011 Program Details

Foxfan

From the BSO:

SATURDAY, AUGUST 20 – FILM NIGHT AT TANGLEWOOD

One of the season's most enduring and popular traditions, the annual Film Night at Tanglewood concert August 20 celebrates the music of the movies. This summer, John Williams and the Boston Pops are joined by frequent collaborator Gil Shaham in a program featuring film music arranged for violin and orchestra, including Gardel’s Por Una Cabeza (Tango from Scent of a Woman), three pieces from Schindler’s List, and excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof. Also on the program will be Mr. Williams’s nostalgic evocation of early 20th-century America from the 1969 The Reivers, based on the book of the same name by William Faulkner, with special guest Morgan Freeman as narrator. Along with The Reivers, Williams will lead the orchestra in a salute to the Hollywood Western, including John Dunbar’s Theme from Dances with Wolves, the theme from Alfred Newman's How the West Was Won, and Williams’s own The Cowboys Overture.

Who's going?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three pieces from Schindler's List? Is it at all likely one of those is Yeroushalayim Shel Zahav?

No. That would be 'Theme', 'Remembrances' and 'Jewish Town'.

Is the audio streamed online? Some people recorded last year's concert. How did they do that?

Yes, it will be streamed. From the Film Night at Tanglewood site:

Radio Broadcasts and Streaming

Concerts from the Shed are broadcast each Friday and Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon in Boston on WCRB 99.5 FM and WGBH's HD2 all classical channel, in Albany on WAMC 90.3 FM and its satellite network, and in Connecticut on WMNR 88.1 FM. In addition, Sunday-afternoon concerts are broadcast on WFCR 88.5 in Amherst. Streaming audio of the broadcasts can also be accessed via the stations' websites at www.wgbh.org/995; www.wamc.org; www.wmnr.org; and www.wfcr.org.

How to listen-in from the BSO Media Center:

You can listen LIVE to WGBH in our BSO MEDIA CENTER!

Fridays and Saturdays at 7pm and Sundays at 1pm Tanglewood concerts are broadcast LIVE by 99.5 All-Classical, a service of WGBH.

I might not go this year. Saving a little extra for Disney World in a couple weeks.

I feel like the atmosphere at Tanglewood on Film Night is a bit wrong for Schindler, at least for me personally. As performed by Gil Shaham and the Pops on the album TreeSong, the suite brings me to tears. It's too sad!

Three pieces from Schindler's List? Is it at all likely one of those is Yeroushalayim Shel Zahav?

No. That would be 'Theme', 'Remembrances' and 'Jewish Town'.

Oh. Thanks. :)

I'm selling 2 tickets with great seats to this show! I would love to use them myself but can't get out of school. It really is a must-see. I'm selling the tix together for $210 or best offer. Thats how much I bought the pair for.

Please email or call me if you're interested.

Benshatil@gmail.com

954-347-2396