Have you seen "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima"?

Josh500

I recently asked whether you have seen The Pacific and Band of Brothers. This is sort of a companion thread.

Have you seen these Spielberg-produced movies? If yes, what did you think of them?

Being partly of Japanese heritage, I have seen Iwo Jima, and I gotta say, it's pretty darn good. Nowhere near as good as SPR, but it kept me on the edge of my seat. Good characterizations, and you can feel the desperation, the fear, the heat of the war. I recommend it highly. I haven't seen Flags yet (and I heard it's not so good).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, obviously, Iwo Jima is not a movie you watch for the score, written by Clint Eastwood's son. Still, the movie itself wasn't bad. On the contrary.

By the way, the main theme of the movie is the Japanese hymn (or a variation thereof), if I am not mistaken.

That doesn't mean the score isn't poorly executed and annoying. Eastwood sucks at writing music, often ruining his (usually) good films.

J. Edgar looks pretty good, and the trailer had some great string writing, but I know in actuality the music will do absolutely nothing to enhance the picture.

I've seen both, and I think they're fine. However, there's a bit too much "American flag-waving" for my taste, with evil and anonymous Japanese falling like flies. They deserve credit for making a film from each side of the fence, so to speak, but I feel even the Japanese LETTERS is too Americanized. I would have wanted a more serious treatment of the psyches themselves, more realistic without all the moralistic overtones.

SPOILER: IWO JIMA

Hmmm, compared with many other Hollywood war movies, I thought Iwo Jima suceededed in showing "the other side" pretty well. The main characters, after all, are all Japanese. And it shows even a couple of "evil" American soldiers who shoot two Japanese soldiers who surrendered because they (the Americans) felt like it...

That doesn't mean the score isn't poorly executed and annoying. Eastwood sucks at writing music, often ruining his (usually) good films.

I wish he'd hire some real composer to do the score... like for example, lemme think, John Williams! :P

I hate both movies. They say Spielberg is an obvious manipulator, but he's a master in subtlety compared to Eastwood. I stopped watching Letters From Iwo Jima because I couldn't take it any longer. I'm through with Clint.

Alex

Hmmm, compared with many other Hollywood war movies, I thought Iwo Jima suceededed in showing "the other side" pretty well. The main characters, after all, are all Japanese. And it shows even a couple of "evil" American soldiers who shoot two Japanese soldiers who surrendered because they (the Americans) felt like it...

It wasn't so much in the narrative as in the style -- Japanese speaking and behaving like Westerners (Americans, more specifically) and the general tone of it.

I've only seen Letters from Iwo Jima and I thought it was very good. And very well meant. It has pacing issues, but it's another solid effort from Eastwood nonetheless. It has that brilliant moment when we see faceless American soldiers playing the part of the enemy, bobbing up and down behind cover as we look upon their assault from over the shoulders of the Japanese. The Yankee cries of orders carried out and orders given - a muffled familiarity grabbing our ear above the noisy din of war - a genuinely surreal twist on the expected Americana formula. Superbly shot by Eastwood.

Flags of Our Fathers always looked interesting, but really melodramatic. Like A Few Good Men - entertaining but wallowing in theatrics. I'll see it eventually on tv.