For completists only...

sulky

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a curious way to re-release the disc but I guess there is room for those on the CD and the three extra tracks are from some of Williams' and Spielberg's most succesful collaborations. Those are clearly taken from the Williams on Williams album.

They should do a Williams-Spielberg Collaboration album III. Loved the first two, especially the first one.

I fully agree! Williams could present some his more recent collaborations on it, like KotCS (the concert version of Irina's and Marion's themes in particular) and even Tintin! ;)

Those two, esp. the Williams on Williams one, are some of the best JW compilations out there.

Also very true. Williams' own reorchestrations, rearrangements and new suites of the material on these two albums are for the most part truly excellent. I love the 5 part Hook suite on Williams on Williams album in particular but both discs are full of highlights.

But the above new re-release of the album is truly for die hard collectors or newer fans only since there is no new material really.

Williams' tenure with Boston Pops was a blessing also in that respect that he got a chance to re-envision and record his music in concert hall setting for so many of his scores. Williams has done very few new re-recordings/compilations since he left the job as their conductor and artistic director which is a shame since many of his newer scores contain material I would love to hear in an expanded concert setting. On the other hand Williams has always been very conscious of the musical experience of his scores and is perhaps one of the few film composers these days who records these thematic suites or concert settings of his musical ideas specifically for the album. On the album they often feature up front as sort of a musical road map to the score, presenting in formal way the material that will be heard in the music, familiarizing the listener to it before the actual score.

Williams' tenure with Boston Pops was a blessing also in that respect that he got a chance to re-envision and record his music in concert hall setting for so many of his scores. Williams has done very few new re-recordings/compilations since he left the job as their conductor and artistic director which is a shame since many of his newer scores contain material I would love to hear in an expanded concert setting. On the other hand Williams has always been very conscious of the musical experience of his scores and is perhaps one of the few film composers these days who records these thematic suites or concert settings of his musical ideas specifically for the album. On the album they often feature up front as sort of a musical road map to the score, presenting in formal way the material that will be heard in the music, familiarizing the listener to it before the actual score.

Absolutely! Brilliant approach it is too, a kind of overture thing.