Jurassic Park- The Game

scallenger

Have not even seen this mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd be the first. Coming in the next couple week's is a game that takes place during and after the events of the first film. It's a clever premise that centers around the Barbasol can that had Nedry's embryos concealed in. It'll be released on what looks like all platforms.

http://www.telltalegames.com/jurassicpark

Now, of interest to film score fans, the limited edition version of the game that can be pre-ordered (which comes with some VERY cool extras that rival any of the recent BluRay sets) features the soundtrack to the game. Before anyone gets excited, it reportedly does NOT feature music directly from the film. However, the composer who took on the task of doing the music for the game is said to be using Williams themes. You can hear his variations of them in some videos and gameplay footage if you take a gander online. While this may not be of interest to a good amount of JW fans, those diehards that love his Jurassic Park score may not help but be a bit curious to hear yet another interpretation of the original film's themes mixed in with new material (like in Jurassic Park 3, or Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis).

http://www.telltalegames.com/jppreorder

Since I am a huge Jurassic Park fan of the films and scores, I got this set preordered. :D;) For those interested, it IS only a digital form of the soundtrack. But I made a request on their forums for it to either be in 320k or FLAC. ;) We'll see what they do.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah that's the big criticism the game has been having. But the story seems like it is really respecting the film and it's canon. It's not a FPS, but more like a Myst-style game, although it does have action in it, apparently. That main video on their page and a few others show some great moments. You can even die in multiple ways in every scenario, and they said because of this people will actually like to die on purpose because some of the deaths are pretty amusing (this one video of a rex-human-triceratops shish kabob was just so wrong and hilarious, and graphic).

Here is some gameplay (of their early build) of the first level. You can hear some of the music composed for the game. If you wanna fast forward to a cool action bit, go 11 minutes in:

I've been following the game since it started, and considering TellTale's not a high-buged company, the result is looking pretty damn good. While I would have preferred some free-roaming, the game looks highly faithful to the movies and the plot sounds like it could have been an excellent movie itself.

And the music is sounding fantastic. Jared is a genius, an apprentice of the old LucasArts trio of composers (Land, McConell and Bajakian). It's a wonder how he isn't working in movies, yet. The range of this guy is amazing, and unlike most pastiche composers, he actually has his own very personal style!

Yeah he isn't bad! He also did the music for the BTTF game if I'm not mistaken, and there were some interesting variations on the BTTF a few times, and used other themes appropriately. It was fun! Too bad they didn't release some kind of album version of the music for that game, however I know of a way to extract music from the games themselves quite easily. There are just SO MANY files of them though, lol. But I'm sure someone (maybe me someday?) could make a nice album version of it.

Yeah he isn't bad! He also did the music for the BTTF game if I'm not mistaken, and there were some interesting variations on the BTTF a few times, and used other themes appropriately. It was fun! Too bad they didn't release some kind of album version of the music for that game, however I know of a way to extract music from the games themselves quite easily. There are just SO MANY files of them though, lol. But I'm sure someone (maybe me someday?) could make a nice album version of it.

Yes i love the BTTF game score.

is the score orchestral?

I may be interested. So this game come in full or is episodic like the other ones? i dont want to preorder an special edition of just part 1...

I think the music will be synth. The BTTF game's score was synth.

I thought the score in the BTTF games was orchestral, actually, some of it even culled from Silvestri's original recordings. They sound damn brilliant, anyway, and is a testament to how far orchestral samples have come.

As far as the JP games are concerned, I've not really explored them. I'm a HUGE JP fan (which should be clear by now), but I hate first person shooter-type games. I find them too stressful and more about co-ordination than intellectual and/or "filmatic" experience. In fact, I don't really play computer games at all anymore, the exception being oldfashioned click-and-point adventure games like the BTTF and new MONKEY ISLAND series etc. But there have been times where I have been so starved on more of the JP universe in the ten years since the last film that I've actually considered checking out the games too. But I'll try to restrain myself.

To answer the question about if they are releasing it per-episode or the entire 4-episode game, it is the entire 4-episode game (although I think you can purchase individual episodes at a time if I am not mistaken). You see, they were originally supposed to release the game in it's regular one episode per every month or so (like BTTF did) in April, but at the last minute they instead postponed to release the ENTIRE set in the next couple of weeks. Their reasons were to improve upon the game so they would have a product they would be happy with for us, but I think that is only PARTIALLY the real reason. It seems pretty obvious they wanted to time it close to the release of the BluRay set, just like what happened with BTTF, especially when the JP Trilogy BluRay was announced like a month or so later. Speaking of which, for those of you who have purchased the JP Trilogy BluRay set, there is a code on the digital copy paper on the inside that gives you the first episode of this game on the PC for free. So you can all check it out and see if you like it before you buy it.