Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Where is the wind from? It also jumps in volume at the new bit.

Its ripped from :

The Epic of Scene 88

Will you be uploading these unreleased bits of Roast Mutton, Faleel? I'm very intrigued to hear them.

done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFou9HaIkP4

Could be a fake ending, or cue be a film cue that used a similar performance of the Shire Theme

I was hoping someone would ask for time stamps! It's just the melodic lines that I find rather beautiful. Looking for the moments now.

Faleel, where is all this unreleased music in the EEs from? Is it just scattered about the various menus?

Are you talking about when he is trying to cure sebastian? or when he is uttering the elvish incantation? the "Incantation" bit is on the CD.

[almost] all of these unreleased bits are from the actual appendice videos (The Epic of Scene 88 etc.)

Which part?

BTW,, good job GK, sounds very realistic.

BTW, the very beginning of "The White Council" in the Standard OST Edition, is the last notes of the Erebor theme I think.

the bit microedited out of Old Friends:

Great stuff. I'm loving that all this stuff is turning up in the EE!

Also, almost all of the unreleased Riddles in the Dark is in the appendice videos (the "Teeth!" moment for example)

And, there is nothing very big, I think there might be some bodhran thumping thats unreleased, but it could just be edited, or stock music.

though I did fiind a clean ending for the middle of the Film version of Radagast the Brown.

Here is Radagast the Brown (Film Version) using the Appendices videos and Gkgyver's mockup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VQ6OBE1YA&feature=youtu.be

Stone Trolls, its a little longer here, not sure if its an edit or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77gxzrXsYbA&feature=youtu.be

Done

The Edge of the Wild Alternate:

Oh man, that's fantastic music! Wow!

There's no reason to call it Edge of the Wild alternate, though. It's just an unused version of Shore's company theme from a different cue.

Done

Yes! A shame this didn't get developed further in the score. The High Fells cue will probably contains something else entirely now in DoS. Let's see if Shore has kept the ending the same or was he forced to change it as well.

I'm not sure Peter heard some of them till after they were recorded. But just because they were cut out of the final cut of AUJ, doesn't mean we won't hear them pop up in the latter films. The only one I'm worried about is Radagasts theme.

I guess things like that now become themes through multiple usage, rather like the 'fireworks' and 'pipe-smoking' motifs. It would be great if Doug's proposed Hobbit book including an appendix citing every place the themes appear across LOTR and The Hobbit soundtracks (we'd probably need additional material released from the latter first).

Done

There's no reason to call it Edge of the Wild alternate, though. It's just an unused version of Shore's company theme from a different cue.

Yeah, seeing how The World is Ahead has the same "kind" of strings......

Done

Actually, putting it over the World Is Ahead scene, it works pretty well.

Done

Actually, putting it over the World Is Ahead scene, it works pretty well.

Yes, it actually works perfectly on the scene.

It is very likely that this will be the first idea of the composer for the theme of the company.

It seems that the idea to put in the score the Misty Mountain theme has arrived quite early in the creative process, as evidenced by its arrangement in the first trailer of the film.

So I do not understand why Shore has nevertheless recorded a theme actually rejected.

So I think Shore has decided to transform its original theme for the company in a theme dedicated to the journey itself, which would have supported the Misty Mountain theme in the film. But as we have seen (and heard) the Plan 9's theme has come to monopolize the film.

I hope that in the next film, however, this theme is used along with the theme of the company, because in my opinion represents in a perfect way the gentler tone of the story of the book instead of the The Lord of the Rings tone of the arrangement required for the Plan 9's theme.

I expect a future Rarities CD could highlight some early versions of cues that used Shore's theme instead of the MM theme. Who knows if either theme will return in DOS....

I expect a future Rarities CD could highlight some early versions of cues that used Shore's theme instead of the MM theme. Who knows if either theme will return in DOS....

Surely the Misty Mountain theme returns to emphasize the deeds of the company, in similar way as done by the company's theme from The Lord of the Rings.

Not to mention the fact that the theme has become very well known among fans.

Returning to the original company theme (or journey theme), leaves me even more bitter taste in the mouth if I think of the great skill of Shore to musically interpret the pages of Tolkien (even more than Jackson).

It would have been cool if Shore's theme had been used for journeying, and the MM theme used as a call to action, but I must admit the revised cues using the MM theme all sound absolutely fantastic.

It would have been cool if Shore's theme had been used for journeying, and the MM theme used as a call to action, but I must admit the revised cues using the MM theme all sound absolutely fantastic.

I also love the theme and find it memorable.

But in the film at some point I found it over-used (instead the sountrack is much more balanced in this way).

Yes. Replaced two or three of the statements in the film with Shore's original theme, and the balance would have been perfect.

We shouldn't refer to that motif as the "Edge of the Wild motif", as it appears in other cues (The World is Ahead, and whatever cue Faleel's video is from), and it clearly represents the Company, and not a location

Maybe it's some sort of journey theme?

However, one of the themes that struck me most of the soundtrack is the theme that opens the film and closes the adventures of the protagonists: I'm talking about the theme that we hear at the beginning of My Dear Frodo and at 0:34 of A Good Omen.
It's a majestic theme that, in its use of opening and closing the journey of the characters, reminds me in some way the introductory and closing theme from the Sinfonia Antartica by Ralph Vaughan Williams as a concept.

From this point of view it was a great disappointment to find myself at the cinema, waiting for this moment and then see it eliminated.

It's a lovely theme though, and it's reading in a good omen is particularly brilliant. I wonder if it was meant to represent anything other than a sort of book-end device, or indeed if we will hear it again...

one of the themes that struck me most of the soundtrack is the theme that opens the film and closes the adventures of the protagonists: I'm talking about the theme that we hear at the beginning of My Dear Frodo and at 0:34 of A Good Omen.

It's a majestic theme that, in its use of opening and closing the journey of the characters, reminds me in some way the introductory and closing theme from the Sinfonia Antartica by Ralph Vaughan Williams as a concept.

From this point of view it was a great disappointment to find myself at the cinema, waiting for this moment and then see it eliminated.

Yes!

It's Bilbo's adventure theme.

No....

It doesn't resemble bilbo's adventure either melodically or harmonically.

Agreed

It's a lovely theme though, and it's reading in a good omen is particularly brilliant. I wonder if it was meant to represent anything other than a sort of book-end device, or indeed if we will hear it again...

How about this question: What theme will play under the WB & MGM logos in DOS, and will it return in DOS's finale?

How about this question: What theme will play under the WB & MGM logos in DOS, and will it return in DOS's finale?

I hope the same theme that appears in An Unexpected Journey!