BloodBoal

Your post is uselss, KK. You're just repeating what I'm saying in my review!

;)

It's ranting for ranting's sake. I've got to vent it out somewhere. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how cutting the Wargs scene would do the film any good, quite the contrary is the case.

In TTT, the wargs were also included because the way to Helms Deep would otherwise feel way too easy for a whole town moving in a land in the grasp of Saruman.

It is the same here. I think the journey would feel very uneventful and also short if you just had them arrive at Rivendell. What bothers me more is the way the distances are portrayed. Seems like it's just a stone throw from the troll hoard to Rivendell. And how did they get out of the woods onto these plains so quickly with wargs behind them? What happens to Radagast?

Again, the pure inclusion of the wargs is not the problem. As it is with pretty much everything that feels awkward in AUJ, the problem is not that it is there, but how it is presented. You cannot mend these things by simple recutting, you'd have to go back to the screenplay.

The Wargs scene seemed natural in TTT, but again seems artificial and forced here (like many other aspects of this film).

The White Council subplot had great potential, but as you said, is poorly executed. Part of it is because its an abrupt shift in tone. Heck, the scene doesn't even know what it wants to be (funny, serious, etc). Also, the editing of the picture doesn't show us the full picture of what they filmed, so the scene looks useless, distracting and completely unnecessary.

Oh yeah, two points I wanted to address:

1: The reason Azog is at Weathertop is obvious, it was once a watchtower.

2: The reason Saruman insults Radagast in AUJ, is because he insults him in LOTR (the book)

Hmmm, I think I have to agree with what some people are saying here.... that for a lot of the changes/additions the IDEA of the change/addition isn't bad, but the EXECUTION wasn't pulled off very well.

In fact this reminds me of something I wanted to say about the first Warg chase, which was also just brought up.

So the company realize they are being hunted, and kill two Wargs that sneak up on them. Fine. Then Radagast says he'll lead them away from the group, so the group can escape. Fine. But then, instead of Radagast simply taking off in one direction so that all the orcs and wargs follow him in that direction while the company goes in another..... he flies around the plain circling back and forth, essentially drawing the orcs right to the group. This makes no sense! Was the reason for this because PJ wanted to portray Radagast as an imbicile who makes bad decisions? Or did PJ just completely fail at portraying something about the scene that would have explained it? I dunno.

I am incredibly saddened to find myself thinking of the Hobbit as I did with The Dark Knight Rises. The first 2 viewings I came out thinking it was flawed film, but still enjoyable at that. But the more I think about it, the more this movie pisses me off. I just can’t appreciate the merits of the film without opening my eyes to sheer stupidity of its many flaws.

:( :(

I don't think Radagast "disappears", I think he just finally goes in one direction after circling for a while. We know some of the wargs survive being killed by the Elf Hunters, since one reports back to Azog, those are probably ones that follow him like into the woods or something.

I do wish that a little while after the chase, Radagast joined them all in Rivendell and had been part of the White Council, as Tolkien said he was part of the White Council after all. As filmed, Gandalf was going to meet Radagast in the Witch King's tomb after Gandalf leaves Rivendell before he saves the company in Goblintown anyway, so why not just have Radagast and Gandalf go investigate Angmar together all along?

Saruman probably wouldn't have called him a fool to his face.

I suppose you're right though, when PJ and co decided to make him more raggy and demented than Tolkien depicted him to be, it made more sense to not have him be part of the White Council any more

2. So? Does that justify that lame line they came up with about mushrooms and yellow teeth (Radgy doesn't even have yellow teeth!)?

There is a difference between saying:

"The made his teeth yellow/The Make His Teeth yellow"

and

"The yellow his teeth"

Honestly, though, why do you complain Saruman doesn't see the obvious, with the Morgul blade surfacing and a Necromancer roaming Dol Guldur?

Saruman deliberately neglects it for his own cause.

Saruman's little tease of Radagast was distracting. Completely takes you out of the scene. I don't care if it was homage to the books or homage to the original films, but as a filmmaker, Jackson should know better.

The conflict in tone is yet another one of the film's many problems.

Am I the only one who had to read Bloodball's review in segments thoughout the day?

Haven't started the first chapter yet, but then again I was like that for years with The Silmarillion.

BloodBoal should have laced it with songs, so I could know which parts to skip more easily.

So the company realize they are being hunted, and kill two Wargs that sneak up on them. Fine. Then Radagast says he'll lead them away from the group, so the group can escape. Fine. But then, instead of Radagast simply taking off in one direction so that all the orcs and wargs follow him in that direction while the company goes in another..... he flies around the plain circling back and forth, essentially drawing the orcs right to the group. This makes no sense! Was the reason for this because PJ wanted to portray Radagast as an imbicile who makes bad decisions? Or did PJ just completely fail at portraying something about the scene that would have explained it? I dunno.

I was just under the impression that the wargs had the whole surrounding area covered - specifically the company's escape route, and so Radagast gets on with rounding them up, like the Pied fucking Piper. That, or it was the Force.

That "60 years earlier..." card was completely unnecessary imo. Seemed like another deliberate callback to FOTR's "60 years later..." card (which doesn't even exist in the FOTR EE anyway)

You can't cut Frodo out of the film, unless PJ decides to drop the "60 years earlier" card after the "An Unexpected Journey" title card.

You can cut Frodo but you may leave Bilbo. I found Frodo here too much referencing for the sake of referencing and little else.

The 60 years part might be gone in the extended version anyway.

Frodo is not a problem. There are far worse moments that references for the sake of referencing and need to be removed.

Actually, I consider to be one of the worst references. It adds absolutely nothing to the plot, and brings the beginning of the film to an unnecessary halt.

I agree. The Erebor segments were quite enjoyable, but I got nothing out of Frodo's scene. Actually, the only emotion I did feel during that scene was anticipation for the unexpected party.

• 2 months later...

I just saw the movie on Pay per view and I had the same nostalig moments for LOTR. I really don't mind the referencing from LOTR I had the same feelings for seeing the Prequel Star Wars films after seeing the Original Trilogy and now I'm doing the same for The Hobbit trilogy.

And for Azog, I think he is a good villan I have a feeling this is not the last time we will see him and that he will be in the Battle of the Five Armies.

I really enjoyed the film. the only thing bothered me in the film was the CGI kites and Smaug at the end. And I could of sworn I saw a scene where Bilbo saw the shards of Narsil in Rivendell in the trailer for the film.

I also liked the part when Thorin is almost killed by Azog. I had a flashback of Boromir getting pierced by the arrows in FOTR and I first I thought they would kill of Thorin and like deviate and change what happens in the next film, that wasn't what scared me but I was scared for Thorin I really thought he was a goner and I'm like someone please help him! and then Bilbo being the hero he is stops that dick head Azog whos boss.

Radaghast well to me he kind of reminds me of some character rejected from The Chronicles of Narnia but I neither like or hate him. I think he might have a huger role in the next two films, just like how the Boromir/Faramir plot line had a larger role in the LOTR trilogy (unlike the books where Faramir wasn't that much of a large character)

Who knows what characters PJ would introduce in DOS and TABA, maybe someone in the books who didn't have a chance to appear like Bombadil or even some evil creatures like the Barrow-Wights. Speaking of the barrow-wights the necromancer that appeared in Dol Guldor that is how I picture the Barrow Wights in the books

Overall I think everyone did a good job on this film.