Star Wars Trilogy RCA/Sony Discs Pitch Issues?

Faleel

I was doing my ROTJ edit recently, and I noticed something, the OST/Anthology cues were shorter than the RCA cues, even the Concert Suites!, I noticed that when the speed (slong with the pitch) was altered that the cues lined up, almost perfectly, then I was talking to Data, and he mentioned ESB that had some cues with the wrong pitch.

So my question is, do ROTJ and ANH have this problem as well?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't checked ROTJ. I don't seem to recall any issues with ANH, at least not as major as with ESB.

Yeah, the Concert Suites are the biggest giveaway, I believe The Emperor's Death has also been pitch shifted (either the Anthology/OST is wrong, or the RCA's are.)

Cue K.M. or someone else saying "I don't like messing with the mix of a CD" or "Here's my pitch correction: Stop comparing the LP, OST, Anthology, and SE"

• 9 months later...

I haven't checked ROTJ. I don't seem to recall any issues with ANH, at least not as major as with ESB.

Do you know anything about this now?

Cue K.M. or someone else saying "I don't like messing with the mix of a CD" or "Here's my pitch correction: Stop comparing the LP, OST, Anthology, and SE"

I'll be the first to add it's high time they just redo these complete scores. Better sources, mixes, the missing music and album versions as well. I usually opt for the Anthology and/or the older albums since the Special Editions are:

1. Too loud and exhausting to my ears in the case of Star Wars

2. Lacking any vitality in the case of Empire

3. Highly bootleg-sounding in the case of Jedi

1. Too loud and exhausting to my ears in the case of Star Wars

While I agree that that it should just be redone officially, there IS a plug-in for audacity that can reduce the Loudness problem with music.

For the Special Edition release of Empire, most of the previously released cues were remixed by Bruce Risner. While these remixes offer greater clarity, their quality is severely lacking in several respects.[citation needed] First, the stereo field is very narrow and the left/right separation is minimal. Second, several instrument channels, including the horns and harp have been relocated in such a way that the stereo setup is inaccurate. Third, the sound has a harsh quality, which is particularly evident in the brass. Fourth, the instruments sound closely miced and the ambience of the recording chamber is minimal. Fifth, the cue "Leia's Instruction" is significantly out of tune, and other cues have slight tuning problems. The cues not remixed by Risner still suffer from a harsher sound compared to their Anthology counterparts. "Luke's Escape" ("The Wampa's Lair") contains several artifacts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_V:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back_%28soundtrack%29

For the Special Edition release of Empire, most of the previously released cues were remixed by Bruce Risner. While these remixes offer greater clarity, their quality is severely lacking in several respects.[citation needed] First, the stereo field is very narrow and the left/right separation is minimal. Second, several instrument channels, including the horns and harp have been relocated in such a way that the stereo setup is inaccurate. Third, the sound has a harsh quality, which is particularly evident in the brass. Fourth, the instruments sound closely miced and the ambience of the recording chamber is minimal. Fifth, the cue "Leia's Instruction" is significantly out of tune, and other cues have slight tuning problems. The cues not remixed by Risner still suffer from a harsher sound compared to their Anthology counterparts. "Luke's Escape" ("The Wampa's Lair") contains several artifacts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_V:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back_%28soundtrack%29

I know ESB suffers from pitch problems, I am asking about ANH and ROTJ.

• 2 months later...

The Concert suites are considerably shorter than the ones on the OST, but they are not edited down. (that I could tell)

The OST version of the Emperor's Death is a higher pitch than the SE version.

I was asking an honest question. That is all. I just wanted to know if there were any problems with the SE. The pitches are correct when compared to the film.

I wanted to know specifically what cues from ESB have pitch problems, as they seem fine when compared to the film.

What tracks did you compare? It could be that certain tracks are fine, and others are not..

I seem to recall that Yoda And The Force is one of tracks.

Last time I checked, all of them. Even the ones that the section on Wikipedia claims have pitch shifts. Would it be possible to make a list of the specific issues (time that problems happen, sections of what cues, etc.) so that I may double check?

Pitch and speed problems... Problems from another age...

By the way, I don't believe people still buying LPs :)

I am talking about CDs.

yeah, like 2008 age (Indy Box)

Is it possible LP's were playing at the wrong speed?

Karol

Like I said, the Anthology and the OST match, but the RCA is slower and lower pitch. unless the Anthology is from the LP transfer..

Is it possible LP's were playing at the wrong speed?

Karol

You have to know that tape machines has to be calibrated too. In fact, there are not two tapes machines that are exactly calibrated at the same speed nor two turning tables.

So there is the speed when the tape machine recorded the original sound in the studio... After there's the speed of the tape machines that was used for the mastering.

Then, there is the speed of the turning table that recorded the original LP matrix... Then there is speed of the turning tables that was used to record the LPs that will be sold....

Finally, all that to say that the LP or the Master Tape you have in your hand when you do a digital transfer... Well, you have to adjust the speed of the recording manually... using your ears and helping you with a tuned keyboard.

This is not an exact science. :-)

So yes, sometimes, there is pitch problems with old material orginaly recorded on tapes.