New recording: Escapades from CMIYC

indy4

As far as I know, this is the first official recording of the work?

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Me-If-You-Can/dp/B00B289J7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366451059&sr=8-1&keywords=amy+dickson+catch+me+if+you+can

I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the orchestra or recording. How similar is this to the stuff already available?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think the first official recording of the Escapades was done by North Carolina Symphony with Branford Marsalis as the soloist and Grant Llewellyn conducting for an album called American Spectrum. A terrific CD, which I highly recommed for its entire programme. I would sat that the recording is a bit on the subdued side but the performance is terrific.

But thank you for starting a thread on the subject since I remember reading about this a while ago but I somehow thought there was already a thread for this piece of news and didn't think I should report it. :P

The Marsalis recording is indeed the first recording of Escapades. The Amy Dickson recording was released earlier this year, and this month a new recording come out: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BK6HQ5A/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

Excellent news! We can always use more interpretations! :)

Escapades is one of my favourite recent JW concert hall suites along with the Memoirs of a Geisha Suite.

Thanks for the info guys. I take it this is worth buying then? Not just a rehash of the material already available on the OST?

Thanks for the info guys. I take it this is worth buying then? Not just a rehash of the material already available on the OST?

Judge it for yourself:

I had the immense luck of hearing this played live conducted by JW back in 2007. It was great.

I've heard the Dickson recording, it's available on spotify, though I've already ordered the CD and expect to have it soon. I liked the whole album a lot.

As for the more recent release by Jan Schult-Bunert, I haven't check any samplers so far, but I think I'll get it anyway.