BloodBoal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I've only seen it in the theater when it came out. I should check it out again sometime.

Does this film have 3-4 different cuts? Or just the theatrical and director's? I guess I'm confusing it was Alexander.

8/10? For Troy?

Wow.

EDIT: I should point out that I do have a massive soft spot for this but it is a truly awful and boring film. Doesn't do any justice to something as brilliant and grand as Homer's Iliad.

The Hobbit films have been flawed but fun so far.

The Hobbit films, fun? You and I seem to have a different definition of the word "fun"!

Troy was awful.

Care to develop?

It is a few years since I've seen it but it's a pretty boring watered down version of The Iliad. It just felt like "Gladiator and Lord of the Rings made loads of money so let's combine the two to get in on the act!" rather than a decent attempt at adapting the Iliad. It's hard to "develop" much because it was all pretty bad. The Helen and Paris stuff was just forced which seems odd as it's kind of important to the story. The acting for the most part was poor and the God's should never have been removed (maybe it wasn't possible to do it as they are in the poem but something more significant was needed). Horner's score was nothing special but he didn't really have a lot of time to do it I guess. Yared's score was much better, it's a pity they didn't keep it. True there isn't as much CG as there is these days but what is there is bad, even for the time.

I guess Peter O'Toole was good as Priam and I liked the Aeneas moment, was a nice inclusion for those that know their stuff.

As I said I have a soft spot for this film and could watch it at any time, it's still an awful film though.

It's a lot better than Alexander, that's for sure.

Ebert summed it all up nicely actually: http://www.webcitation.org/5liAiTcdl

Hmm, it seems that I haven't seen the Director's cut, the copy we have here is the theatrical DVD. I might give that a go so at some point to see if improves my opinion on it.

I dunno, I've always thought of this film as a guilty pleasure more than anything else. There's nothing particularly memorable about it for me beyond comparing it to the source material.

I think the whole Trojan cycle could make a very good TV series if handled the way Game of Thrones is. I think that'd be the best way to handle this kind of thing actually the Iliad is just too big to handle in a single film.

The Gods is a very interesting part of this because I think they should be more prominent and I'm not really sure how that would work. Like you say the film makers grounded it in reality and I guess, for play for giving that a go but I'm not sure how that'd work. The last thing I'd want is something like The Immortals where the Gods are basically superheroes. I'm sure there's a middle ground that could work but I'm just not sure what it is.

My main problem with the film is the choice of actors really. How can I focus on anything if I'm forced to accept Brad Pitt as Achilles, Sean Bean as Ulixes and, god help me, Orlando Bloom as Paris? I don't buy any of that.

So the issue is you, not the actor. I'm sure all famous people should think twice about accepting paychecks for Greek mythological roles. No, no, sorry I can't do this, people just think of my last movie.

I knew Bean well before The Lord Of The Rings. I didn't think of 006 while watching Boromir.

Even when you read the poem, by our modern standards, Achilles just isn't that likable. He gets pissed off with Agamemnon because he takes his woman, sulks in his tent for several books, Patroclus gets killed by Hector, Achilles get's pissed off, goes on a rampage kills Hector, straps him to the back of his chariot and mutilates his body. The ancient Greek view doesn't really translate into the modern day very well.

I think Pitt was a lot better than he could have been.