Dreamworks To Remake Ghost In A Shell Into A Live Action Movie

A24

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd like to think it will leak, but Age of Ultron still hasn't, so who knows!

AGE OF ULTRON?! What am I missing? This has a soundtrack release.

You apparently missed the discussion thread I was replying to, which was about leaks, not commercial releases, as should have been obvious from the word "leak" in my post.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Neither has BvS but at least both of these have soundtrack releases.

I was comparing it to another score where a composer's work was partially replaced by another at the last minute.  In BVS's case, Zimmer and Junkie collaborated from the beginning.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You apparently missed the discussion thread I was replying to, which was about leaks, not commercial releases, as should have been obvious from the word "leak" in my post.

OK. But is it customary for scores -- released or not released -- to be "leaked"?

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK. But is it customary for scores -- released or not released -- to be "leaked"?

Yes.

I see. I just found it odd to mention a score that already has a soundtrack release to be in a similar situation as GHOST IN THE SHELL (who needs leaks when you have a commercial release?).

For the rest of the score that wasn't on the commercial release, of course.

In Age of Ultron's case in particular, both composers scored the same scene sometimes, with only one composer's take on the CD (and in the film), so a leak would shed a light on a lot of unknown qualities of the score.  Not only would it identify whether it was Tyler or Elfman who wrote some bits you can hear in the film, but you'd get the idea that Tyler was originally going before before various sections of his work were replaced by Elfman, etc.

Wouldn't there be some documents somewhere describing exactly who did what (for those interested in such things)?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Wouldn't there be some documents somewhere describing exactly who did what (for those interested in such things)?

Internally at the studio, at the composer's houses maybe, maybe their assistant's, maybe some record labels.... sure.

But publicly available?  No.

Be that as it may, I'd rather people search for these documents to find the relevant information than leak music cues -- especially for scores that already have a release. But that's me.

What people?  What documents?  What are you talking about?

You want me to break into Elfman's house to see who scored what?

I would rather hear the music, than read a dry description of it and who wrote it. But that's me.

Indeed!

I really liked Elfman's work on Age of Ultron, and would love to hear everything he recorded for the project, and not just the 20 minutes on the commercial release.

Are you sure that there's more Elfman out there?  I was under the impression that Tyler scored AOU, and then Elfman came in and wrote some replacement cues (but not an entire replacement score)

Yes, of course the 20 minutes on the commercial release is not everything Elfman recorded.  You can hear more of his work in the final film, for example.

10 minutes ago, Fal said:

I would rather hear the music, than read a dry description of it and who wrote it. But that's me.

That's fine, as long as you don't feel entitled to bootlegged material/leaks.

If it's the information you're after (perhaps for research purposes), I think the better thing to do is to contact whatever source sits on this information. Perhaps you get a yes, perhaps a no. But if it's extra music you desire, I think a wish for an expanded commercial release is better than illegal leaks, wouldn't you agree?

Thor I'm not sure why you're going off on this crusade here today.  You might not be releasing that

-Practically every score leaks

-People on this forum tend to purchase scores they like

So yea, of course a 2CD set from a specialty label with all of Elfman and Tyler's work sold together would be great, but what are the chances of that happening before 2073?  Or ever?

No one here is demanding an illegal file leak, simply stating that it would be cool to hear the music, like it would be cool for any score we liked that we haven't heard in full yet.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thor I'm not sure why you're going off on this crusade here too.  You might not be releasing that

-Practically every score leaks

-People on this forum tend to purchase scores they like

So yea, of course a 2CD set from a specialty label with all of Elfman and Tyler's work sold together would be great, but what are the chances of that happening before 2073?

No crusade. But just because leaks may be common, doesn't mean it's alright to acquire or condone them. I feel there's a sense of 'entitlement' here, and I find that rather disgusting. ESPECIALLY when there's already a soundtrack release. What's so hard to understand about that?

Please quote a post here from anyone who claimed to be entitled to this information or the audio recordings?

Now you're just being difficult, Jay. You said "In Age of Ultron's case in particular, both composers scored the same scene sometimes, with only one composer's take on the CD (and in the film), so a leak would shed a light on a lot of unknown qualities of the score." I assume this implies you'd like to hear a leak of this score? Several other people expressed similar sentiments (that they would have loved to hear it), and not in one instance did I get the impression that you were all talking about a legitimately released expansion. If that were the case, why bring up "leaks" in the first place?

Yes, it implies - actually outright states - that I would like to hear the music.  It does not state that I am entitled to it. 

I am not being difficult, you are.  If you read through this entire page again, I think you will agree.

All I - and others - have said that we would like to hear the music.  If Disney licenses it to a specialty label for a commercial release?  Awesome!  I'll buy it!  If they don't?  I'll listen to files someone gives me.  Nothing special or unusual going on here; This is how it works for any score anyone likes, outside of the people who limit themselves to commercial releases only.

This is actually hypocritical for you to even bring up, since you openly talk about illegally sharing old John Williams music with others all the time, and all the various bootleg recordings of concert pieces you have, etc.  Again, I'm not sure why you chose to launch this crusade today.  Doesn't seem like it was a very wise choice, was it?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

outside of the people who limit themselves to commercial releases only.

This is the true mstrox way

The previews for this movie make it look exactly like any number of early 2000s movies that I saw for free, but still regretted wasting my time.

Oh I thought it looked better than a lot of random crap that's been coming out post-The Matrix.  But early buzz seems to indicate it isn't (I haven't read any reviews or really much about the film at all since it actually opened though)

Well, Jay, I don't buy it, but whatever.

I've been enough on a 'moral high horse' for one evening, especially because I have a far 'looser' relationship to scores that do NOT have a release of any kind, like GHOST IN THE SHELL. Not hoping for a leak here either, but if push comes to shove, I'd definitely check one out down the road.

OK, so if I say "I'd like to hear the music", then I am proclaiming to be "entitled" to it, but if you say "I'd definitely check one out down the road", then you are not.  OK.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK, so if I say "I'd like to hear the music",

You know as well as I do that that's not what you said. You said "I'd like to think it will leak, but Age of Ultron still hasn't, so who knows!" and  "a leak would shed a light on a lot of unknown qualities of the score". If it was just about a desire to hear the unreleased music, you wouldn't have brought leaks into this in the first place

Sheesh....nitpicking with you is like talking to a condescending wall sometimes.

(And yes, I'm aware of the double standards, since I very much seek out some material that has no release whatsoever. But when there IS a soundtrack release, I find it more objectionable.)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You know as well as I do that that's not what you said. You said "I'd like to think it will leak, but Age of Ultron still hasn't, so who knows!" and  "a leak would shed a light on a lot of unknown qualities of the score". If it was just about a desire to hear the unreleased music, you wouldn't have brought leaks into this in the first place.

Sheesh....nitpicking with you is like talking to a condescending wall sometimes.

Yes, you're just picking nits at the word choice I happened to use.  Obviously, either a commercial release or a leak would shed equal light on who wrote what, right?

And - again - I didn't bring up leaks in the first place, I was replying to the line of discussion that already existed in the thread before I opened it up and replied to it today.  Since I already suggested you re-read things, and you clearly didn't, let me quote it all for you so you will (hopefully) understand:

On 4/1/2017 at 10:54 AM, Koray Savas said:

It'll leak at some point. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:03 AM, BloodBoal said:

Mansell will probably leak it himself. Anonymously, of course...

6 hours ago, Jay said:

My post does not mean "I do not want a commercial release, I want an illegal leak instead!", my post means "I would think it is likely to leak - but you know what?  Surprising, Age of Ultron still has not, so perhaps this similar situation of a score [A last minute partial replacement by another composer] will not leak either".

And, later, I said I'd like to hear all the music Elfman recorded for Age of Ultron.  I never actually talked about Ghost In The Shell's score at all, since I have no interest in it (I've never heard a single score by either composer in my life).

And I most certainly never said I was entitled to anything, nor did I see anyone in this thread say so either.

Do you understand now?

I don't know. To me, "I would like to think..." implies more of a desire than "I think it is likely...", but whatever. Have we gone around this bush long enough already?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't know. To me, "I would like to think..." implies more of a desire than "I think it is likely...", but whatever. Have we gone around this bush long enough already?

Well, English is not your first language, so your mistake is understandable.