The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

• 3 weeks later...

ab67616d0000b273d54c7c424d1b095611771530

Whoa, I had no idea that Kavinsky released a new studio album last year, his first since the brilliant debut album OUTRUN in 2013. It's really good. Some tracks have a slicker pop vibe here and there, but there's also a bit more sophistication to the instrumental tracks than the more computer gamey first album.

ab67616d0000b273c0b899f74e4119e8ecab4128

I had this on CD once, but then sold/traded it in a period where I wasn't that keen on New Age-type stuff. I regret it, because I'm into it again now, and love this album. Should perhaps reacquire it on physical format again, along with many other Franke non-B5 solo albums I'm missing.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What do think of his music for BABYLON 5?

Absolutely love it! But I'm content with the Volume 1 and Volume 2 CDs. Don't need all those individual episode score CDs.

RAVEN is also really good, that's another one I should acquire. And THE LONDON CONCERT. Bunch of other Frankes I should get now that my taste has somewhat reverted back to what it was in the 90s.

I think you'll like CELESTINE, knowing your taste a bit. Gorgeous "jungle mysticism" in Franke's broad strokes.

a4246863947_10.jpg

One of my favourite renditions of Glass, as interpreted through an electronic idiom. I just discovered Geffray through her wonderful score for SPLIT (2023), and I've been thoroughly enjoying all her other albums on BandCamp, including this gem.

On 02/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I wanted something to relax to, earlier, so I put on WHITE EAGLE.

Ah! Perfect Saturday afternoon listening :)

That's a TD album I don't own, and - in fact - haven't even heard. Thanks for the heads-up! They were so prolific. Even though I count myself a mega fan, there's still so much I haven't heard (whether released or officially unreleased). I say "were" because I don't consider the current lineup as them, as we've discussed before.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

That's a TD album I don't own, and - in fact - haven't even heard. Thanks for the heads-up! They were so prolific. Even though I count myself a mega fan, there's still so much I haven't heard (whether released or officially unreleased). I say "were" because I don't consider the current lineup as them, as we've discussed before.

It's typical mid-to-late Virgin fare, if you know what I mean: Frosse, Franke, and Schmoelling.

If you like HYPERBOREA, and LOGOS, then you'll probably like this.

• 2 weeks later...

a2964856745_10.jpg

What a great EP/album that I was just alerted to by someone else. Edward Gamper (aka Sunglasses Kid) conjures up some brilliant retro, smooth soundscapes in the style of Jonathan Elias, Pat Leonard, that kind of stuff. Here it is on BandCamp: https://sunglasseskid.bandcamp.com/album/night-life-ep

• 2 weeks later...

cover-Vince-Clarke-Songs-of-Silence.jpg

Songs of Silence is a studio album by British electronic musician Vince Clarke, released through Mute Records on 17 November 2023. It has received positive reviews from critics. The album was recorded during the COVID-19 pandemic with Clarke building all songs around a modular synthesizer.

• 5 weeks later...

KORG releases a re-issue of the legendary KORG PS-3300 which was originally released in the year of Star Wars.

Re-issue of the PS-3300:

Korg-PS-3300-FS-001-678x381-ezgif-com-we

The original PS-3300

Korg_PS-3300_-_reduced_light_spot.JPG

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

WHOA!

I remember that I had the KORG catalogue at the time and how much I drooled over the photos of that synth! It had a polyphony of 48 voices and 3 oscillators per voice! However, all I could afford was the monophonic KORG MS-20, which became my very first synthesizer. 

Korg-MS-20-Monophonic-Synthesizer-Cover-

The KORG MS-20

• 4 weeks later...

a0112800302_65

I loved Santana's (no relation to Carlos) album B MOVIE 1984 (a kind of "fake" soundtrack), but this is even better, I think. Give this man a proper film to score!

887a61de45fdba69fbe4387384be2b3f.jpg

Love this album, smack in my favourite TD period. I know this will get Alex's knickers in a twist, but I don't like Tangerine Dream's 70s output. Too experimental, weird and noisy for my delicate constitution. I own RUBYCON, of course, simply because it's a must-have classic and not too bad, and I like STRATOSFEAR. But my TD fandom really starts with TANGRAM in 1980.

cover_3347145102016_r.jpg

My third favourite Eno solo work, after THE LOVELY BONES and MUSIC FOR FILM. More accessible, some beats, even. Dig those Manchester beats that were prevalent in the early 90s.

• 1 month later...

ab67616d0000b273c7551097eb56fa28e72fc6cd

This 1980 album is really my starting point for Tangerine Dream appreciation, as I mentioned two posts up. First album that has those delicious, melodic hooks and riffs that I love.