Is John Williams the greatest composer ever?

UCFKevin

Is John Williams the greatest composer ever?  

55 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, most definitely.
    • Nope. Sorry.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure many composers in the past have made revolutionary contributions which make them known in history as the greatest composers (as most should be recognized). All these things learned from music has been passed from generation to generation of great composers. John Williams has probably studied music from all teh great composers and can surely write music similar 9or better) to their's easily. He's learned from them all and can combine their styles at will with flexibility, which is one reason he is one of the best.

It's like asking, who's a better trumpet player, Louie Armstrong or Wynton Marsalis... many will say Louie for his finesse and contributions to jazz and trumpet playing, but Wynton has learned from him and as added onto it. I believe Wynton Marsalis is a much better player. Same analogy for Williams if you've finally understood me by now.

He is as good as he can only be.

He may not be the best composer ever, but A) is definitely the one I listen to the most; B) to compose an "epic" or "grand" score in the era of microchips and mobile phones and all digitall and all that stuff is almost an superhuman act.

I can't prove it but had he lived in the 18th or 19th century, and with a melodic potential so bottomless, he might have been the greatest. He only lives in the era where his talents get beaten by factors so impossible to get rid of and leave behind... It's like when war or loss of someone impacts you (listen to Shostakovich symphonies from the war period or Mahler's mourning works filled with grief over loss of his dearest), you can hardly fight it and it always in a way is reflected in what you do. I mean, directors and producers and movies if you asked me are greatly demanding an aspect so you're never yourself once you compose under certain boundaries regardless of how stubborn you may be.

(With no double entendre intended, I would really like to know what James Horner or Hans Zimmer would sound like had they lived those 200+ years ago...)

Of those who didn't vote for JW, has anyone really ever heard of Antonin Dvorak? Surprised to not see him mentioned --even if sorely one time per a thread as a winner-- while Stravinsky takes it all.

Yoda, listening to AD's cello concerto and sobbing hard...

:cry:

How many of you have listened to the "classic" composers? I mean, REALLY listened to them. I believe a great amount of you never troubled to listen and yet, you have an opinion about them when you say JW is the best composer. I don't mean to sound snobbish, it's only a matter of logics.

If you listened I find it hard to believe that you rank JW as the best ever, but I have to accept your opinion. I didn't study music (well, not all the way) but I believe I've listened to a good range of symphonic and chamber music, and after all that I'm a big JW fan (otherwise I wouldn't be here) but I can not rank him as the BEST composer ever. In fact, I can't name just one composer, there are so many. My favourites are Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaicovsky, Saint-Saens, Chopin, Korsakoff, Prokofiev, Dvorak, John Williams, John Barry, Rota, Herrmann and so many more...

Who's the best? I don't know.

Who's music I listen the most? John Williams, but that doesn't mean I like Beethoven less, God no. Subjectively, I enjoy the 9th Symphony more than anything JW has ever composed.

Miguel - Who hopes no one gets mad about this. :)

Who's the best? I don't know.  

Who's music I listen the most? John Williams, but that doesn't mean I like Beethoven less, God no. Subjectively, I enjoy the 9th Symphony more than anything JW has ever composed.

Miguel - Who hopes no one gets mad about this. :mrgreen:

Classical music is not represented merely by symphonies. For example, although Antonin Dvorak is my favorite composer of all-time, I will admit that John Williams' violin concerto outshines Dvorak's, yet Williams' cello works --if compared to the great second cello concerto by Dvorak-- are ALMOST as good. I think John Williams doesn't have to be best at one examined item or another (scores, concert works, chamber music), but generally he produces more than satisfying works in many of the categories of composition and that's what matters to me. His versatility is what I admire and I almost always feel good when I'm listening to his works, while with Beethoven, pardon me, outside of his 3rd, 4th, 5th and 9th symphony, I don't get "pleased" at the same level.

Classical music is not represented merely by symphonies.

Never said it was, I gave an example.

For example, although Antonin Dvorak is my favorite composer of all-time, I will admit that John Williams' violin concerto outshines Dvorak's, yet Williams' cello works --if compared to the great second cello concerto by Dvorak-- are ALMOST as good.

It's your opinion, I respect it and, actually, I agree.

I think John Williams doesn't have to be best at one examined item or another (scores, concert works, chamber music), but generally he produces more than satisfying works in many of the categories of composition and that's what matters to me.

Never said he had to.

His versatility is what I admire and I almost always feel good when I'm listening to his works, while with Beethoven, pardon me, outside of his 3rd, 4th, 5th and 9th symphony, I don't get "pleased" at the same level.

Don't need to apologize, It's your opinion and you can enjoy everything that pleases you (that's what I do!).

I also almost always feel good with JW music, it happens that the 9th symphony reaches higher levels in me than almost anything else.

Wait, please, I didn't mean to sound any grumpily!, I was in a less gentle way --to my own shame-- standing and backing up my opinion, just as you managed to in much better way. I'm glad we both do enjoy JW, that's the bond, isn't it?

:mrgreen:

Wait, please, I didn't mean to sound any grumpily!, I was in a less gentle way --to my own shame-- standing and backing up my opinion, just as you managed to in much better way.  

I'm sorry, because of the quotation I thought your post was meant to refute my own. Just a misunderstanding. LOL

I'm glad we both do enjoy JW, that's the bond, isn't it? :mrgreen:

Yes, it is. :|

What are the criteria of the best composer ever?

Great melodies, complex harmonies? Clever Orchestrations?

I don't know.

From one person to the next opinions vary dramatically for the reason that we are all different and we perceive music differently. For instance many people love Tchicovsky when other people find him simple. other people love Stravinscy and some people can't stand him.

It's all a matter of opinion.

For me Williams has taken all the elements from the composers that I love (all dead now ;) ) and has taken their legacy a step further.

Revolutionised it?....I don't know and I don't care to be perfectly honest with you.

All I know is that his music has touched me deeply ( as with the same with other people) and speaks to me in many levels. To me at least this qualifies him for the best composer in the world.

But it's a silly thought anyway....the best composer IN THE W O R L D!!!

Hmmm I wonder what Mr Williams would answer on the same question? ;)

I'm regreting my vote actually... after listening to composers like Nielsen, Borodin, Mozart and others I'm not so sure. Best living composer? yep. Best film composers? yep. My favorite? oh yeah. ;)

Justin -Who thinks Nielsen's Aladdin Suite is incredible.

I don't think it's right to consider Williams the best composer ever. I love him and think he is the best film composer of the history (I prefer him also to Herrmann and Rosza, but it's my personal opinion), but "classical" music gave us so many great guys... Williams' composition tecnique is "perfect": always balanced, greatly orchestrated, expressive, complex in harmonies... but I think that this would be appliable also to other men: Stravinskij, Brahms, Debussy, Mahler, Prokofiev for example, and to the contemporary Ligeti, Part and some others. I mentioned mostly 20th century composers (or late 19th) because I think that they produced the best things of the history of our music, but perhaps we like most them (and J. Williams) because we LIVE in this era and so these composers can satisfy our musical desires because they are similar to theirs! I don't think that Mozart would like Stravinskij, but today no one discusses his genius!

Call me crazy, but it seems like some folks here don't even like Williams THAT much......

Crazy.

Hey I am sorry but SOME folks here are definately very critical oh John. I won't name names but I have seen people giving Johnny the SMACKDOWN numerous times in the past weeks.

This isn't "Is John Williams you favorite composer" it's asking if you think he is the best composer ever. I said no, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. Far from it, he is one of my favorite EVER composers, but that doesn't mean he is the best...... I listen to him the most, but that doesn't mean he is the best.

Call me crazy, but it seems like some folks here don't even like Williams THAT much......

Crazy.

Hey I am sorry but SOME folks here are definately very critical oh John. I won't name names but I have seen people giving Johnny the SMACKDOWN numerous times in the past weeks.

And as I remember you were one of them! :mrgreen:

This isn't "Is John Williams you favorite composer" it's asking if you think he is the best composer ever. I said no, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. Far from it, he is one of my favorite EVER composers, but that doesn't mean he is the best...... I listen to him the most, but that doesn't mean he is the best.

Also, saying you like another composer as your favourite doesn't take anything away from Williams, because there is room for more than one favourite and there is more than one great composer.

Morn - Remembering what Rogue said about MR and AOTC.

That's what separates the fans from the nerds.  

If you love what you are a fan of, does that make you a nerd??

No,I would say, just that you have some healthy continuity in your life :mrgreen: !