Interstellar SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion thread

Jay

No. Its just that I wondered when Mann did this? Before he went to sleep or after he woke and Rom insisted on checking the data.

Its interesting to bonder if when Mann woke he already knew he would have to kill all 3.

I think the drone might was there because of the "anomaly". It was looking for something? This is my guess.

I think the hibernation bits were skipped. Simple as that.

As for the future Coop touching Brand, I guess there is no linear time in there, that's it.

The food issue on the station is a good point, though. But then, only a small fraction of civilisation probably ever boarded this one.

I'm guessing, obviously.

No. Its just that I wondered when Mann did this? Before he went to sleep or after he woke and Rom insisted on checking the data.

Its interesting to bonder if when Mann woke he already knew he would have to kill all 3.

I think he was just taking precautions. And yeah, before he went to sleep.

Karol

Hmmm yea good call, I guess when I first saw the film I assumed be boobytrapped it before he settled down into his permanent hypersleep, but thinking on it he probably did it later. Who knows.

~

BTW, one thing I thought about that I haven't seen discussed: When they are on Mann's planet and decide to leave, someone says they need the optical sensor in Mann's robot to attach to TARS so that it can get the readings it needs from the black hole. But then Mann's robot blows up, probably destroying the optical sensor, which they never have time to look for anyway, they just leave without it. So how was TARS still able to get the right readings?

Eh, was Prof Brand really all that bad?

He still got a team into outer space on a viable planet with the eggs of humanity and dedicated his life to solving the gravity problem even though he THOUGHT he wouldn't be able to

Well, TARS sort of ends up in the black hole anyway. And that was never a part of their plan.

Karol

What? That was the entire plan!

The plan was for TARS to go into the black hole to take quantum readings to send back to earth, right?

Yes but now that he actually ends up in the Tessaract, he might not need those sensors. They didn't plan this bit. How could they?

Weren't they supposed to orbit around Gargantua? Wasn't that the plan?

Karol

I thought the plan was Coop and Brand to orbit it then shoot off towards the 3rd planet, and for TARS to be the only thing to actually go in (with Coop secretly planning to go in as well because he knew Endurance needed to be lighter to make it to the third planet)

Its true that without Coop TARS would not have ended up in the tesseract. Since that only existed so that Coop could plant the signals.

In that way, everything that happened in the film was predestined to happen.

The plan was for Coop to go back to the wormhole but take a pass along Gargantua and drop the probe ( TARS)

I thought the plan was Coop and Brand to orbit it then shoot off towards the 3rd planet, and for TARS to be the only thing to actually go in (with Coop secretly planning to go in as well because he knew Endurance needed to be lighter to make it to the third planet)

Yes, I know that. But was that also the plan WHILE they were on Mann's planet? Did they need those sensors because TARS was supposed to end up probing Gargantua? Or did he end up in it because they had no choice after Mann blew up the airlock?

Karol

Saw it for the second time and have some questions, observations.

Not a nit, just an observation. Coop and his father and law are seen drinking beer on the porch. But since grains has died out, and only corn is growing, it must be a different brew then what we think of as beer right?

Murph solve the problem of gravity, enabling people to leave earth and live on space stations, right? But the movie never actually addresses how they are going to feed those people. Getting away from the dust is one thing. But the blight was killing most types of eatable vegetation. I suppose samples that were not infected were preserved for possible future us, so it's not a plot error. Just interesting that the film doesnt mention this.

While the film claims scientific accuracy, it does take a lot of apparent liberties when it comes to either distances, or the time it takes to traverse distances. The Endurance crew spend 2 years in hibernation on their way to Saturn, which is fine. But after they passed the wormhole there is no mention of them ever going into hibernation again, apart from Rom occasionally, when he wait onboard Endurance for 23 years while the rest are on Miller's planet. Remember, space is big, really big. They have to travel from the location of the wormhole, to Miller's planet and then to Mann's planet on a craft with no FTL capability. The shortest distance from Earth to Mars is 100 days, and those planets are really close together. The problem of distance or the time it takes to travel isnt really addressed that much once they pass the worm hole. So either the distances were much smaller than in our solar system, or long periods are omitted from the film, with the crew in hibernation even though that wasn't shown or mentioned.

That's not really so bad, but it does get a problem near the end of the film.

Mann blows the airlock of Endurance, sending it into a spin and it's caught by the gravitational pull of Mann's world. Fine. Cooper manages to dock his ship and pull Endurance away from the planet's pull. However one of the robots tell Coop pretty much while they are still flying away from Mann's world that Endurance is being caught by the gravitational pull of Gargantua. So Endurance goes from being pulled one way to being pulled another in seemingly no time or distance at all.

This begs the question. How far away are the planet and Gargantua? Now Gargantua is described as a large black hole. And it's powerfull enough to suck in all matter, even light. For Mann's worlds, or Miller's world to be in a stable orbit of Gargantua, they would have to be quite some distance from it. Yet Endurance are pulled in by its gravity and Cooper reached it's even horizon in what seems like a very short time in the film. Hours maybe.

Interstellar's scientific accuracy just doesnt seem to hold true when it comes to traversed distances. and travel times.

Once the tesseract closes future humans send Cooper back through the wormhole where he encounters Endurance from earlier in the film and touched Brand. How does this work? Does this mean the future humans are able to send people back through time? If so, why does Cooper return near Saturn 124 years after he was born? Does time not exist in the wormhole and are all the events taking place at the same instance? If so then why didnt we see any of the 12 Lazarus mission ships that also passed though?

Early in the film a drone gets caught off course and end up near Coops land. Some combine harvesters are thrown off course for some reason. This points to possible alien or ghost influences early on in the movie. But it's never made clear what it is. Possible a side effect from Coopers meddling with gravity? We see that in the tesseract he only has access to Murphs bedroom, so it's not something that he was doing on purpose.

KK and TGP talked about how it was possible for Cooper to get to the event horizon because of the large, slow spinning nature of Gargantua. But his ship is actually torn to shreds to its force while he ejects and survives unscathed. No way a space suit can take the punishment a spacecraft can. So it would have had to have been the future humans.

Sigh.

Ok.

It's corn beer, yeah.

On the station they're obviously continuing to grow corn. The difference is, there's no blight to eventually kill it. One would assume more diversity of crops will be possible too.

Glossing over distances travelled and the time required aren't scientific inaccuracies. It's just streamlining the plot. While I don't need extreme reminders of how far these folks are going, I agree that it wouldn't have gone amiss to emphasize that more.

We've been over the time issue and Cooper's travel back through the wormhole in bulk space. It makes sense.

The drone, like the farm equipment, is thrown out of whack by the gravitational anomalies in the house. Simple.

The ship is torn to shreds once it approaches the singularity, not by the horizon, which is safely traversed as predicted. You can see how Cooper is drawn away from the sigularity though, towards the tesseract. Intervention.

Saw it for the second time and have some questions, observations.

Murph solve the problem of gravity, enabling people to leave earth and live on space stations, right? But the movie never actually addresses how they are going to feed those people. Getting away from the dust is one thing. But the blight was killing most types of eatable vegetation. I suppose samples that were not infected were preserved for possible future us, so it's not a plot error. Just interesting that the film doesnt mention this.

While the film claims scientific accuracy, it does take a lot of apparent liberties when it comes to either distances, or the time it takes to traverse distances. The Endurance crew spend 2 years in hibernation on their way to Saturn, which is fine. But after they passed the wormhole there is no mention of them ever going into hibernation again, apart from Rom occasionally, when he wait onboard Endurance for 23 years while the rest are on Miller's planet. Remember, space is big, really big. They have to travel from the location of the wormhole, to Miller's planet and then to Mann's planet on a craft with no FTL capability. The shortest distance from Earth to Mars is 100 days, and those planets are really close together. The problem of distance or the time it takes to travel isnt really addressed that much once they pass the worm hole. So either the distances were much smaller than in our solar system, or long periods are omitted from the film, with the crew in hibernation even though that wasn't shown or mentioned.

Good points. Especially the last one. But I guess you assume that it just isn't shown to move the plot along.

This begs the question. How far away are the planet and Gargantua? Now Gargantua is described as a large black hole. And it's powerfull enough to suck in all matter, even light. For Mann's worlds, or Miller's world to be in a stable orbit of Gargantua, they would have to be quite some distance from it. Yet Endurance are pulled in by its gravity and Cooper reached it's even horizon in what seems like a very short time in the film. Hours maybe.

Yeah, this is a point where the science falters a bit. The idea is that one hour on this planet is equivalent to 7 years on Earth. In order for the time dilation to be that bad, the planet would have to be really close to Gargantua, so close that it'd have to pass the event horizon and be torn to shreds.

Also, it's almost impossible to find a planet THIS close to a blackhole...

Blackhole.jpg

But hey, it looks pretty!

Once the tesseract closes future humans send Cooper back through the wormhole where he encounters Endurance from earlier in the film and touched Brand. How does this work? Does this mean the future humans are able to send people back through time? If so, why does Cooper return near Saturn 124 years after he was born? Does time not exist in the wormhole and are all the events taking place at the same instance? If so then why didnt we see any of the 12 Lazarus mission ships that also passed though?

The idea is that you can't physically send anyone back in time, but you can influence the pass via gravity. Cooper was able to exert a gravitational force of some kind on Brand and that's what Brand saw and felt, not Cooper's actual hand touching her or anything. So no, they couldn't send him to the past, but they could allow him to influence the past through gravity.

KK and TGP talked about how it was possible for Cooper to get to the event horizon because of the large, slow spinning nature of Gargantua. But his ship is actually torn to shreds to its force while he ejects and survives unscathed. No way a space suit can take the punishment a spacecraft can. So it would have had to have been the future humans.

Well if you want to get REALLY technical. The gas, dust and other stuff orbitting around the black hole would have technically destroyed the Endurance in its orbit, but that would ruin the fun. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate!

And I agree, I thought we all did, that Cooper gets "saved" by the future humans just before incineration inside the blackhole.

Lol, i knew you were gonna explain all these away.

I don't mind streamlining the film by removing the time spent in travel, but the film doesn't seem to even acknowledge this.

Also my second viewing confirmed, the last part of the film, everything after the docking scene needed more breathing room.

Yes, I know that. But was that also the plan WHILE they were on Mann's planet? Did they need those sensors because TARS was supposed to end up probing Gargantua? Or did he end up in it because they had no choice after Mann blew up the airlock?

Karol

You lost me.

Yeah, this is a point where the science falters a bit. The idea is that one hour on this planet is equivalent to 7 years on Earth. In order for the time dilation to be that bad, the planet would have to be really close to Gargantua, so close that it'd have to pass the event horizon and be torn to shreds.

Blackhole.jpg

That's completely possible. One thing the film didn't really make an impression about was the sheer size of Gargantua, which is about the radius of Earth's orbit around the sun. That's the problem with dealing with accurate distances and sizes. They're difficult to really portray in a cinematic, visually dynamic way.

Nolan and Thorne address this very issue in an interview. Miller's planet is poised right on the edge of the horizon, in a stable orbit, where spacetime does drag. The Endurance runs into trouble as far away as Mann's planet because of the velocity that it acquires during the docking stunt and a lack of the requisite power to stop it on its own.

Karol

You lost me.

You both said TARS tried to recover optical sensors from Mann's robot.

That thing exploded when Romilly tried to reboot it.

They needed those sensors to gather data.

But, because of the Mann incident, they ended up doing something else entirely.

And they got data because of the Tessaract.

Am I missing something?

Karol

Yes.

Their plan on the planet was to send TARS into the black hole.

Once they got off the planet, they sent TARS into the black hole.

I'm not sure what all this "they changed their plan" stuff you're talking about is all about.

No, TARS was always meant to go into Gargantua. If he really did need those optical sensors, and we aren't meant to assume he managed to acquire them either before or after the explosion, that is a genuine loose end.

Blackhole.jpg

That's completely possible. One thing the film didn't really make an impression about was the sheer size of Gargantua, which is about the radius of Earth's orbit around the sun. That's the problem with dealing with accurate distances and sizes. They're difficult to really portray in a cinematic, visually dynamic way.

Nolan and Thorne address this very issue in an interview. Miller's planet is poised right on the edge of the horizon, in a stable orbit, where spacetime does drag. The Endurance runs into trouble as far away as Mann's planet because of the velocity that it acquires during the docking stunt and a lack of the requisite power to stop it on its own.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose it makes sense, considering the massive size of the black hole. But I read somewhere that the math for the time dilation factor doesn't quite add up. Which is where I suppose Nolan took liberty with some of the science.

If I wanted to be really nitpicky, I'd point out that that kind of proximity puts it too close all the dangerous gas, dust and radiation from the event horizon that it'd be a terrible candidate for a habitable planet, and that'd it'd be naive to waste resources travelling there anyways. Wouldn't it kind of be like saying "Let's move to Mercury or Venus"

Hey, wait. Wait.

They were looking for optical transmitter, right? They didn't need it because Coop was in Tessaract with TARS? So he transmitted it through morse to Murph?

Karol

Blackhole.jpg

Hmm, interesting. I suppose it makes sense, considering the massive size of the black hole. But I read somewhere that the math for the time dilation factor doesn't quite add up. Which is where I suppose Nolan took liberty with some of the science.

If I wanted to be really nitpicky, I'd point out that that kind of proximity puts it too close all the dangerous gas, dust and radiation from the event horizon that it'd be a terrible candidate for a habitable planet, and that'd it'd be naive to waste resources travelling there anyways. Wouldn't it kind of be like saying "Let's move to Mercury or Venus"

Thorne did the math himself and it does add up. Check out his book.

That close proximity though is just the way it looks - again, try to remember the actual sizes and distances involved here.

Hey, wait. Wait.

They were looking for optical transmitter, right? They didn't need it because Coop was in Tessaract with him? So he transmitted it through morse to Murph?

Karol

Ah yes. There you go.

Another one!

Bother Miller and Man land on planets that are too inhospitable for life. Why did they even lsnd? Did their crafts not have scanning equipment or probes capable of determining if a planet is suitable?

Even today we have been able to figure out the topography, chemical composition and lots of other info on every planet and moon in the solar system using probes and telescope and sensor data.

Isn't it a bit like Miller landing on Venus and finding out only then that it's completely inhospitable?

Another one!

Bother Miller and Man land on planets that are too inhospitable for life. Why did they even lsnd? Did their crafts not have scanning equipment or probes capable of determining if a planet is suitable?

Even today we have been able to figure out the topography, chemical composition and lots of other info on every planet and moon in the solar system using probes and telescope and sensor data.

Yes, after extensive satellite reconnaissance and whatnot. What the Lazarus folks had to go on was rudimentary at best. This isn't sending a probe to a neighbor, it's looking through a wormhole to another galaxy.

Miller would have surely reported that the presence of water was negated by the fact that it takes the form of giant fucking tidal waves, if she had lived long enough. And Mann, well, you know.

Well, was it an optical sensor or an optical transmitter? I thought it was a sensor!

I can't remember that bit from the film but Interestellar Wiki said it was a transmitter. ;)

Karol

Hey, wait. Wait.

They were looking for optical transmitter, right? They didn't need it because Coop was in Tessaract with TARS? So he transmitted it through morse to Murph?

Karol

Wait, just beacuse my memory is hazy, why exactly did Coop decide to fall in again? I mean wouldn't he have expected to die? So what was the plan?

Thorne did the math himself and it does add up. Check out his book.

That close proximity though is just the way it looks - again, try to remember the actual sizes and distances involved here.

Ahh, I see. I really have to get that book!

Grey, i get your point about the distance and size of gantantua, but the visuals in the film show is being quite small when viewed from orbit of Manns world. Not much bigger then our sun looks from here. And when Coop and TARS are being pulled in, it looks gigantic. The size difference suggest that a very long distance was traveled in what seems like hours in the film. Especially if what you say is true and Gargantua is the size of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

Thorne's science might be solid, but the visuals that you see in the film are what really count.

Hey, wait. Wait.

Karol

Wait, just beacuse my memory is hazy, why exactly did Coop decide to fall in again? I mean wouldn't he have expected to die? So what was the plan?

I think, at that point they were just thinking of giving Brand a chance to at least execute plan B. The other stuff was a leap of faith/change. I guess.

Karol

Grey, i get your point about the distance and size of gantantua, but the visuals in the film show is being quite small when viewed from orbit of Manns world. Not much bigger then our sun looks from here. And when Coop and TARS are being pulled in, it looks gigantic. The size difference suggest that a very long distance was traveled in what seems like hours in the film. Especially if what you say is true and Gargantua is the size of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

Thorne's science might be solid, but the visuals that you see in the film are what really count.

You see it as it should appear from Mann's world. From Miller's world it appears smaller than it should because Nolan wanted to save the money shot for the climax of the film - that's an actual scientific liberty, and it's taken this long for it to get brought up....

Again, it doesn't matter that it's far away. It's physics. Once you're on a certain trajectory, towards something with that kind of gravity, without the fuel to stop it, you're screwed. And it's a huge distance, but again... I agreed with you about that and the visuals. But there's only so much you can do to portray this stuff realistically and in a dramatically practical way.

Hey, wait. Wait.

Karol

I think, at that point they were just thinking of giving Brand a chance to at least execute plan B. The other stuff was a leap of faith/change. I guess.

Karol

Yeah, but why couldn't he have helped Brand to execute the plan? Why did he need to commit suicide? I mean from his POV, there was no way he could have expected to have been reunited with his daughter...right?

Hey, wait. Wait.

Karol

Karol

Yeah, but why couldn't he have helped Brand to execute the plan? Why did he need to commit suicide? I mean from his POV, there was no way he could have expected to have been reunited with his daughter...right?

Cooper calculated the supplies (food and oxygen?) and there wasn't enough for both of them to reach the final planet.

There is a shot of Gargantua when Endurance is in orbit of Millers world. It looks too small to be believability reachable in a short time

I just explained this.

It was an irksome flaw for me. The fudging of distance and travel times really bugged me.

I'm genuinely astonished that no other films have the power to spark this level of ANALysis. You'd think Nolan invented the fucking plot hole.

Barring Inception I've never encountered a single stumbling block in his films like people are with this one.

So Stefan, what are your thoughts on the film after seeing it a second time. Did you overall like the film more or less than before?

It's a byproduct of Nolan's dense plot writing. But I thought that affected this film less so than his past ones like Inception.

Its why you need to see his movies more than once.

So Stefan, what are your thoughts on the film after seeing it a second time. Did you overall like the film more or less than before?

In many ways yes. The emotional part of the film really hit home to me, the early scenes with Coop and his father and law, and ofcourse Coop and Murph. Their farewell was truly heartbreaking. In no small part because of the amazing performance by Matthew. He really creates a living, breathing and vibrant character here. A farmer, but not by choice. still with an unquenchable curiosity. The kid playing the young Murph was amazing too!

I also enjoyed Chastain more, and Damon. Still think Hathaways character was underdeveloped as was Roms.

Zimmers score remained strong. But I agree with KK that is does get repetitive. Its a fairly simple score based on a few ideas that get repeated with not a lot of variations. The docking cue everyone is drooling ovet is essentially the final part of Coward combined with the final part of Mountains.

Its an effective score nonetheless.

The IMAX experience didn't really do much for me this time round. The screen was a bit bigger and the sound was a bit louder, but thats it. I actually thought the sound in my local cinema was just a bit crisper, more detailed.

It's often an impressive looking film. But when it comes to portraying outer space, it didn't blew me away like Cuaron's Gravity did last year. Like his Batman films or Inception, the special effects were flawless, but a bit sterile, lacking in awe.

Production design was top notch though.

Interstellar is a very good, if not flawless film. Its a real sci-fi film which in itself is rare.

I would not call it a masterpiece though.

I finished reading making of book. It's not terribly detailed, as i hoped, but still good.

What's interesting, when they built the farm house, it actually was.... a house. With all interiors and stuff.

Not a lot of CGI, a lot of big scaled model work. They didn't use any blue/green screen. Instead, they decided to go with front projections. There is a cool picture of Coop levitating around Saturn and there was actually a giant Saturn projected behind him. And if you see something behind in the cockpit windows, then it was exactly what actors saw on set.

The spaceship sets had no fake/removable walls, so they had to cram in the crew in the actual spaceship. The endurance was constructed in the same way you see in the film. Which means it was essentially the ring with compartments that they would rotate if needed. And they were also shaking and other stuff like that - to make it more real for actors.

Robots were mostly pupeteered, not a lot of CGI.

Overall, they weren't going for the grand vistas sort of s-f. They wanted us to feel as if we were actually on board of those vessels. So the mundane look was part of that.

Cool stuff.

Karol

It kind of depends what sort of experience you expect to be part of. If you like cinema as purely visual medium of beautiful images, then he's not for you.

Which doesn't mean his verisimilitude-based approach isn't valid.

It's really a matter of perspective.

I, for one, like his guerilla, inpendend like sensibilities applied to mega productions like this. It's refreshing.

Karol - being Captain Obvious again