Book On Jerry Goldsmith's Planet Of The Apes

tedfud

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to see what he says of the chords of "The Search Continues." Unlike most other cues in the score, they don't fall into the series Goldsmith uses.

Damn, this is the book I was hoping to write. Guess there's still FANTASTIC VOYAGE...

I'm curious to see what he says of the chords of "The Search Continues." Unlike most other cues in the score, they don't fall into the series Goldsmith uses.

Are we certain they're not products of more complex operations like multiplication, rotational arrays or Latin matrices?

EDIT:

The author himself posted this on FSM:

I need your help!

Since the members of the FSM forum are a major chunk of my potential customers, I'm trying to estimate how many copies I'll need for a first print run—so I don't wind up way short on copies or with piles of unsold books!

Send me an e-mail through info@PithikosEntertainment.com and let me know if you want this book. Many thanks!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110320&forumID=7&archive=0

Are we certain they're not products of more complex operations like multiplication, rotational arrays or Latin matrices?

No, but I find it very unlikely. Such complex operations usually sound more atonal, especially given the reliance on semitones in Goldsmith's series. The chords of "The Search Continues" sounds much more tonal than the completely series-derived chords in the score.

I have a what I think is a pretty good hunch as to how they might best be analyzed, but that will have to wait until my blog post on the score (at some unspecified future date!).

Damn, this is the book I was hoping to write. Guess there's still FANTASTIC VOYAGE...

Who said you can't write your own?

Karol

Haha sure I guess, but I prefer the idea of exploring uncharted territory.

I have a what I think is a pretty good hunch as to how they might best be analyzed, but that will have to wait until my blog post on the score (at some unspecified future date!).

Can't wait to read it!

I have to look at the sketches for that cue, but I thought the top line was at least somewhat related to the series. It's curious that the harmonies themselves might deviate, perhaps uniquely in the score, but it's not much different from any other 12-tone composer breaking the rules occasionally for dramatic effect.

When we first hear the row as P10, the first two trichords share two common tones with their corresponding chords, but it once it gets the third chord, the trichord (the three perfect fourths) has nothing in common with the chord below. After that it's just as murky.

I think I initially hoped the chords were like compliments to the trichords, 'filling' in the rest of the series. That didn't work out either.

• 1 month later...

I wonder, will it be sold only from this site and not amazon?

I can't use paypal, but I may have luck with amazon..

Also, it would be nice to see a little bio of the writer.

edit:

Oh, here is a bit:

http://filmscoremonthlyonline.tumblr.com/post/122524444709/going-ape-jerry-goldsmith-and-planet-of-the-apes

My first thought: $30 for an obscure book on just one film score?

My second thought: Why not? Where the hell else am I going to get information like this? Supply meets demand. . . .

I think I'll order myself a copy.