Star Wars Episode 8 poll (TFA Spoilers)

Jay

Who do you want Rey's parents to be?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want Rey's parents to be?

• I want Luke to be her dad!
    • I want Han & Leia to be her parents!
    • I want Leia to be her mom, but from a different dad than Han!
    • I want her to be the offspring of a different existing character!
    • I want her parents to be new characters we have not met yet!
    • I want her parentage to never be explained!

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Or that you could stop an energy blast with the force. Or read minds, or knock someone out with the force.

So, was that Vader/Anakin then putting his hand on R2 in the vision and not Luke? So she was seeing Vader's past, not Luke's.

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

There was also no precedent for the lightsaber being a magical mystical object that calls to you and gives you visions.

If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, and not just the narrow, dogmatic view of the SW fan establishment!

Leeallen01, your memory fails you.  

Vader deflected Han's blaster bolt in Bespin. He didn't stop it in midair and walk around it, but that's just cinematic. 

Vader read Luke's mind to learn of his sister during their last battle. 

True, there is also no canon precedent for Forced amnesia either. 

17 hours ago, Woj said:

Leeallen01, your memory fails you.  

Vader deflected Han's blaster bolt in Bespin. He didn't stop it in midair and walk around it, but that's just cinematic. 

Vader read Luke's mind to learn of his sister during their last battle. 

True, there is also no canon precedent for Forced amnesia either. 

I've always seen it as the blaster bolts hitting his hands and his suit protected him, just like when Luke hit his arm with his lightsaber in Empire and it deflected off. Vader's suit can withstand blasters and lightsabers apparently.

Also Vader doesn't really read Luke's mind, he senses his feelings. Jedi and Sith can feel another's feelings, not really read their mind in the original trilogy. At least that's what I always took from it. But yeah the powers in TFA are an extension of the powers used in the other six films, so why not resurrection through the force, which is an extension of a jebus fatherless birth for Anakin.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

But yeah the powers in TFA are an extension of the powers used in the other six films, so why not resurrection through the force, which is an extension of a jebus fatherless birth for Anakin.

This theory is doing its rounds on other boards and articles. I've noticed that fans who comment on the reincarnation theory to be very divided in their response to it. Either they love it and find it original enough to stick to, or they're immediately resistant to it and fall back on that old "no, she's Luke's daughter!" theory.

Never did it occur to me that the concept pf reincarnation could be so controversial. I wondered if there was some deep seeded societal taboo toward it. After doing a little reading, I found that there might be, based on pre-existing religious taboos that's led to people struggling to grapple with the idea in Star Wars and consequently dismissing it. Even if they're not religious, the idea may be too upsetting or disturbing for them, as it's too radical to contemplate, so they recline to their safe zone, ie: "Luke's daughter!"

Check out page 386 onwards.

42 minutes ago, Woj said:

Reading a mind is somehow different from feelings? OK... Luke thought about his sister he wasn't trying to hide an erection or heart murmur... Oh well. 

How about Palpatine in ROTS?

Its never stated specifically in dialogue. But it's certainly inferred that Anakin's nightmares of Padme dying were planted by Palpatine, as part of his tricks to seduce Anakin to the Dark side.

This certainly suggests that The Force doesn't just have a strong effect in the weak minded.

Also, Yoda seems to have been able to read Luke's mind when he was having visions of his friends in pain.

So the concept of the Force and mind reading or mind manipulation isn't entirely without precedent in the Lucas era.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How about Palpatine in ROTS?

Its never stated specifically in dialogue. But it's certainly inferred that Anakin's nightmares of Padme dying were planted by Palpatine, as part of his tricks to seduce Anakin to the Dark side.

I always thought he was having an actual premonition of Padme's death supplied by the Force, but he catastrophically misinterpreted it. I never got the Palpatine link there at all other than the fact that he exploited that premonition for all it was worth.

Possibly. However I've always been skeptical that Palpatine orchestrated everything to the last detail like that, rather he was an opportunist who read things in Anakin that would be adventageous to him.

The Force works in mysterious ways, but even Anakin, the so-called "chosen one" who is powerful with the Force, is too much of a dopey bastard to comprehend what he senses.

I agree with Stefan here. When Palpatine tells Anakin he could use the Dark Side of the Force to save his wife from certain death, it's never stated or suggested that he knew about Anakin's marriage, and much less about his dreams with Padme dying. Not even in the unused scenes in the script there're any more insights on this, so I think it's safe to assume the dreams where actually placed there by Palpatine himself.