Spielberg/Williams volume III anyone?

MrScratch

I think its time for a third volume of music from the SONY Spielberg/Williams collection. Its been 8 years since the Williams on Williams CD. Here's what I would like to see on it...

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Main Title

Swing Swing Swing! (w/ a real big band and not the full BPO)

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Miracle of the Ark

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

Abduction of Barry

AI ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

The Mecha World

For Always (w/ Josh Groban??)

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

Hymn To The Fallen (w/ Tim Morrison)

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

Mine Car Chase

Nocturnal Activities

AMISTAD

Dry Your Tears, Africa

JURASSIC PARK

Raptor Attack

THE LOST WORLD

Main Theme

The Hunt

SCHINDLERS LIST

Immolation (With Our Lives We Give Life)

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

The Penitent Man Will Pass

I did a rough calculation and this should all fit onto a single disc, correct me if I'm wrong. But these are all great themes from Williams/Spielberg scores and many of them Williams has not recorded or performed since the OST, I'm talking about you 'Miracle of the Ark'!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new Spielberg / Williams collaboration has just been released by Silva Screen. Please, see the topic "A new Spielberg/Williams collaboration by Silva Screen" for more information.

01. Jaws - Main Theme 02:16

02. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Suite 08:16

03. 1941 - March 04:19

04. Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Map Room / Dawn 04:08

05. Raiders of the Lost Ark - March 04:51

06. E.T. - The Flying Theme 03:32

07. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - End Credits 06:31

08. Empire of the Sun - Exsultate Justi 05:00

09. Always - Follow Me / Dorinda Solo Flight 03:43

10. Hook - Main Themes 04:07

11. Jurassic Park - Main Themes 05:58

12. Amistad - Dry Your Tears Afrika 03:39

13. Schindler's List - Main Theme 04:01

14. Saving Private Ryan - Hymn to the Fallen 06:03

15. A.I. - Where Dreams are Made 03:46

16. Minority Report - Minority Report 03:58

Track 15 has an incorrect title.

Perhaps it's just a translation error. This album is only available in France.

Neil

A new Spielberg / Williams collaboration has just been released by Silva Screen. Please, see the topic "A new Spielberg/Williams collaboration by Silva Screen" for more information.

01. Jaws - Main Theme 02:16  

02. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Suite 08:16  

03. 1941 - March 04:19  

04. Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Map Room / Dawn 04:08  

05. Raiders of the Lost Ark - March 04:51  

06. E.T. - The Flying Theme 03:32  

07. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - End Credits 06:31  

08. Empire of the Sun - Exsultate Justi 05:00  

09. Always - Follow Me / Dorinda Solo Flight 03:43  

10. Hook - Main Themes 04:07  

11. Jurassic Park - Main Themes 05:58  

12. Amistad - Dry Your Tears Afrika 03:39  

13. Schindler's List - Main Theme 04:01  

14. Saving Private Ryan - Hymn to the Fallen 06:03  

15. A.I. - Where Dreams are Made 03:46  

16. Minority Report - Minority Report 03:58

I'm talking about the Williams-conducted Boston Pops albums on the Sony Classical label. The first one, "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration" (1990) and the second one "Williams on Williams: Classic Spielberg Scores" (1995) featured Williams conducting selections from his classic Spielberg scores. They make a nice little collection of music from Spielberg films. Since its been 8 years since "volume II" and I love when JW rerecords his music... I think its high time for another Spielberg/BPO album!

Silva, though I respect what they try to do, they are just very inferior recordings. Although, I do appreciate their Rare Breed and Black Sunday suites very much. Plus, they tend to repackage and recycle their recordings. Some of their recordings I have on several of their releases. I plan on picking up the new Indy trilogy CD from Silva eventually, but I know I already own some of the music, and I'm pretty sure the new recordings will be nothing spectacular. So, I tend not to get too excited about Silva releases.

Yes, this album is only available in France to my knowledge, but the titles are in english and it is written Where Dreams are Made.

Well then they just suck. :angry:

Neil

Mecha world for me, brilliant track. The Reunion is a little too sappy.

Plus, they tend to repackage and recycle their recordings.

Who doesn't? Varese has done it with their 25th Anniversary package, from what I hear. In addition to that, they did there's the Great Composers series. (I'm not sure if the Bernstein was made from old recordings or rerecordings or not. The Williams one definitely was.) Sony does it A LOT MORE than that, even. For instance, John Williams' Greatest Hits. I'm not sure, but I would think that "Classic Yo-Yo" is another compilation that takes selections from other original CDs and puts them all on one showcase CD for people who just want to hear Yo Yo Ma. I'm surprised they haven't done something similar with Horner's scores yet. They've got plenty of them to choose from.

Plus, they tend to repackage and recycle their recordings.

Who doesn't? Varese has done it with their 25th Anniversary package, from what I hear. In addition to that, they did there's the Great Composers series. (I'm not sure if the Bernstein was made from old recordings or rerecordings or not. The Williams one definitely was.) Sony does it A LOT MORE than that, even. For instance, John Williams' Greatest Hits. I'm not sure, but I would think that "Classic Yo-Yo" is another compilation that takes selections from other original CDs and puts them all on one showcase CD for people who just want to hear Yo Yo Ma. I'm surprised they haven't done something similar with Horner's scores yet. They've got plenty of them to choose from.

Well of course every label does it to some degree. Silva seems to do it a lot... every Silva release I own has tracks on it that you can find elsewhere. Greatest Hits CDs don't count... of course a Greatest Hits CD is going to recycle the tracks, thats the point of any compilation. When you buy Greatest Hits you know these songs are all available somewhere else. On newly-recorded Williams-produced albums, he never recycles tracks. Thats why a brand new Spielberg/Williams vol 3 would be more exciting than a new Silva compilation. Because Silva would be half new recordings and half stuff that I already own. Philips is still doing it with the JW/BPO recordings they have (Space-taculars). I don't own the Sony JW Greatest Hits because I already own it all... Greatest Hits releases are aimed at the non-fan. Which is why the Yo-Yo Ma Greatest Hits CD was great for me, I don't have any Yo-yo Ma CDs. So, I got the new Williams piece on there plus other Yo-Yo recordings, some of which I like a great deal.