The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

29 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

So my Switch was either stolen or delivered to the wrong address. Great end to the week!

what does the tracking say?

Good for you .! that must have been scary though.

I finished Dishonored 2. I would have had the option to play the game again as another character (you can play as Corvo or Emily)  but I only felt like playing it once.

now back to that Digimon game

Koray download the ARMS Global Testpunch, you can play the game free certain times over the long weekend to know  if you want to buy it

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, being able to take it anywhere means I'd be able to sink more time in.  That's always been why I'm more likely to play RPGs on a handheld.  It's also how I was able to put 120 hours into Breath of the Wild in a month, like a madman.

Ah, so there is actually somebody who exists who still hasn't played Skyrim yet. Interesting. 

You're right about the motion control for sword swings - 30fps will likely feel laggy, unresponsive and just not fun enough as opposed to direct control. Especially in Skyrim, where combat is one of its weakest elements. There's a reason motion control demands very high frame rates: input latency. 

I've never owned a system that plays Skyrim!

I got a PS4 last year on a whim.  LittleBigPlanet 3 and Firewatch are the only games I've played to completion on it.  I'm pretty out of step with most AAA games.  I tried Assassin's Creed, hated it.  Tried Last of Us, didn't like it.  Tried Bloodborne, hated it.  My PS4 gathers dust while I wait for Shenmue 3.

motion controls are completely optional of course, can play the entire game with a pro controller like anything else

Bound to be. But yeah, at least they're offering it. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never owned a system that plays Skyrim!

I got a PS4 last year on a whim.  LittleBigPlanet 3 and Firewatch are the only games I've played to completion on it.  I'm pretty out of step with most AAA games.  I tried Assassin's Creed, hated it.  Tried Last of Us, didn't like it.  Tried Bloodborne, hated it.  My PS4 gathers dust while I wait for Shenmue 3.

I'm waiting till Firewatch hits the fiver price point on Steam. My kind of "alternatively" game. Have you tried SOMA? It's one of the best things I've played in years, certainly as far as its storyline goes. 

It sounds like you lose patience pretty quickly with games if there's a fairly formidable degree of challenge there? 

55 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It sounds like you lose patience pretty quickly with games if there's a fairly formidable degree of challenge there? 

Depends on the kind of game.  I've put in so many hours over so many years mastering all kinds of super difficult platforming games.  I got very good at Super Meat Boy, for instance.

It comes down to, "Do I fundamentally enjoy this game concept enough to want to get good at playing it?"  For me with most modern action games, the answer is no.  I've never really been interested in games where your primary interaction is shooting a gun.  Not saying I'm morally superior because of that, it's just not something I'm into "roleplaying" in a game.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Depends on the kind of game.  I've put in so many hours over so many years mastering all kinds of super difficult platforming games.  I got very good at Super Meat Boy, for instance.

See that's the sort of game where in older years I've developed zero patience for. It's rock hard! But that's not why I don't play it. Muscle memory trial and error games like that I would happily plug away at when I was a lad, but I'm not motivated in that way anymore. More and more I'm finding I require a decent story (by gaming standards) or at least a compelling mission structure, if I'm to play through to the end of something. Other than that though, yeah, I play a ton of multiplayer stuff, normally shooters. The contest of it has become my idle pastime bread and butter, it's fair to say. 

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Bound to be. But yeah, at least they're offering it. 

I'm waiting till Firewatch hits the fiver price point on Steam. My kind of "alternatively" game. Have you tried SOMA? It's one of the best things I've played in years, certainly as far as its storyline goes. 

Firewatch is good but no where near great. Temper the expectations, if you have any.

Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank reboot is proof that action platforms can still be superb and entertaining. I can't wait for the Crash Bandicoot remasters later this month.

I still have SOMA sitting on my HD after your recommendation about a year ago. How long is it? Maybe I'll finally play it after my Skyrim addiction, at the moment.

Crap Nintendo's presentation already started, I thought it started at 12:30.  Did I miss anything good?

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Tuned in during a trailer for Legend of Zelda BOTW DLC Pack 1, looked sweet!

Wow DLC 1 is June 30th and DLC 2 is Holiday 2017

Wow amiibos for all for Champions, they look good!

Rocket League coming to Switch Holiday 2017 with exclusive features!

OMG MARIO ODYSSEY LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!! 

Must have game of the fall!!!!!!

Oh wow, its coming October 27th!!!  Way sooner than expected!!

OK all the trailers are getting added to the Nintendo youtube channel; I missed Metroid Prime 4!!!!!!!!!  HOLY CRAP!!!

Watched the Mario Odyssey gameplay block, wow does that game look great.  Somewhat giving the BOTW treatment to Mario, IE a focus on exploration and taking your time over speeding through things (though I'm sure you can play it that way too).  The different environments all looked great, the NPCs looked great, graphics are great for Mario.  Loved the 2D/3D hybrid stuff.  Everything looks great!  Except that stupid Odyssey song :P

Watched the Prime 4 trailer, its just a logo so no reason to watch, glad its being made though

HOLY CRAP THERE'S A 2D SIDE-SCROLLING METROID COMING TO 3DS AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's a remake of Metroid 2!!!!!!

They announced both Metroid Prime 4 for the Switch, and a remake of Metroid II for the 3DS, which will probably be available on the Switch once the 3DS hits its EOL next year

It's amazing how the 3DS line went from being almost dead, to being saved by Pokemon Gen 7 and now having a huge slate of big titles coming out this year.  You'd think Nintendo would want to focus all its energy on Switch since its portable too, but they are really not letting down the millions of people who already own a 3DS, increasing its fantastic library with more great games all the way to the end of life.  What a system.

Yup looks amazing

Metroid II remake gameplay spotlight just finished, it looks fantastic.  I've wanted a new 2D metroid game for so long, and the graphics for this are the best yet

Love the permanent map on the bottom screen too, lots of nice little features are in there like teleporting so you dont have to backtrack and map pins, etc.

There'll be a SE release with a soundtrack CD

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Love the permanent map on the bottom screen too, lots of nice little features are in there like teleporting so you dont have to backtrack and map pins, etc.

It seemed preposterous that across 13 years of dual screen portables, we were never going to get a 2D Metroid game that took advantage of having a map on the bottom screen.  They finally snuck it in right at the end of the DS lifespan.

I wish they had given Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion DS remakes with the same SNES/GBA level graphics on top and permamaps on the bottom.  Like the Chrono Trigger DS version

They're showing off the Mario/Rabbids game in the livestream now, definitely not a game for me.  Classic Nintendo bright colorscheme tho

I have the trilogy disc for the Wii, I'll try to play through them all before Prime 4 comes out next year

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Want a 2D Metroid experience? Try Shadow Complex, it's great. 

Cheers, had never heard of that one before

Do you like it more than Axiom Verge?

Metroid and the Arkham games are my favourite "alternative" Zelda games. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you like it more than Axiom Verge?

I've never played that. I don't think I've played a classic pixel art game for many years. I see it's on PS4 though. 

Guacamelee is another one in that genre, with a fun art style and good combat included. 

I bought Metroid Prime day 1 on GameCube back in 2002.  I loved that game, but somehow never felt compelled to play either of the sequels.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they do on Switch.  It's not Retro Studios, the original developers, making 4.  It's actually an internal Nintendo team in Kyoto I think.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

They're showing off the Mario/Rabbids game in the livestream now, definitely not a game for me.  Classic Nintendo bright colorscheme tho

Oh I'm definitely buying that.  Looks like a lot of fun.  I'm not a big RPG fan, but I love the Mario RPGs.  I'm hoping the same holds true for Mario strategy RPGs!

For 2017 big retail games we know about:

Arms - not buying

Splatoon 2 - buying

Mario + Rabbids - buying

Pokken Tournament - not buying

Super Mario Odyssey - buying

Skyrim - buying

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - not buying

24 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Metroid and the Arkham games are my favourite "alternative" Zelda games. 

I gotta play those Arkham games!

I've never played that. I don't think I've played a classic pixel art game for many years. I see it's on PS4 though. 

TBH the completely retro pixel art turns me off, same with Shovel Knight almost.  I prefer smooth graphics with a retro feel, then literally Nintendo-era pixel art with less colors.  Hurts my eyes

Guacamelee is another one in that genre, with a fun art style and good combat included. 

Oooh yea heard about that one, I'll have to check it out sometime

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not Retro Studios, the original developers, making 4.  It's actually an internal Nintendo team in Kyoto I think.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Bit disappointing to learn Retro (a British dev) aren't doing Metroid. Suppose Nintendo won't fuck about though, or one would hope. 

Most of the employees that worked for Retro during the Prime 1-3 development era no longer work there, and the director of 1-3 is overseeing Prime 4 for Nintendo directly, so there's nothing to worry about.

I REALLY want to know what Retro's been working on since Tropical Freeze; I thought for sure we'd find out today!

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Bit disappointing to learn Retro (a British dev) aren't doing Metroid. Suppose Nintendo won't fuck about though, or one would hope. 

You must be thinking of Rare, which was a Nintendo studio once upon a time.  Retro is based in Austin, Texas.  Since Metroid Prime 3 they've made 2 Donkey Kong 2D platformers.  They are definitely working on a Switch game, the rumor is that it's a new IP.

Yes I think its supposed to be a new IP

I hope Nintendo ports Retro's two Donkey Kong games (Returns and Tropical Freeze) to the Switch so more people can play them

They just announced 2 new Fire Emblem amiibo at the end of the Fire Embler Warriors gameplay spotlight.  Just a crapton of new amiibo coming, what a cash cow its been for the big N

Oh Square Enix's presentaiton is starting soon, hopefully they show more Octopath Traveler

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You must be thinking of Rare, which was a Nintendo studio once upon a time.  Retro is based in Austin, Texas.  Since Metroid Prime 3 they've made 2 Donkey Kong 2D platformers.  They are definitely working on a Switch game, the rumor is that it's a new IP.

No I was thinking of Retro Studios; I could have sworn I'd read an in-depth report into the making of Metroid Prime a few years ago on Eurogamer. My bad. Speaking of Rare though, Sea of Thieves is very much on my radar. 

Anything that gets them away from fucking Kinect development, actually. 

Nintendo's E3 booth is modeled after New Donk City (which I love saying out loud in conversation):

DCOQJKqUMAAjAmc.jpg

Looks insane.  I hate crowds so I'd never even consider going to E3.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

No I was thinking of Retro Studios; I could have sworn I'd read an in-depth report into the making of Metroid Prime a few years ago on Eurogamer. My bad. Speaking of Rare though, Sea of Thieves is very much on my radar. 

Anything that gets them away from fucking Kinect development, actually. 

Yeah, Sea of Thieves looks cool.  Kinda funny that Ubisoft announced it's own online pirate game yesterday, although with a less cartoony vibe.

I just want to put it out there:

In Super Mario Odyssey, Bowser has employed as minions a group of evil, sibling bunny rabbit wedding planners.

Whatever drugs Nintendo has, I want some.