The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Came here to report that Super Mario 35 is insane like a drunk armadillo. You know you're in trouble when you're trying to get the invincibility star in 1-2 but are blocked by a Bowser and a piranha plant.

Without a tutorial, you slowly grasp the mechanics as you try to barrel through the classic levels, which are mainly designed to keep you alive and to make your opponents knocked out. The ways that you can route the enemies you send to your 34 opponents can be delightfully devious, and as the number of players tick down further and further, it gets all the more intense...and if you get to be one of the last plumbers standing, the chaos gets hilariously overwhelming.

There were several times, as I looked out into the expanse before me, filled with enemy-spawned Goombas, piranha plants, and Bowsers, that I thought, "For I beheld Satan, as he fell down from Heaven like lightning!"

There's a simple levelling up system, but I don't know what if affects besides unlocking different avatars. I didn't play for too long, so I'm excited to see how it plays out when you start adding enemies from the later levels in the mix, like Hammer Bros. or Bullet Bills.

In short, this is incredibly fun, and the price is hard to beat!

Thanks for the reminder, I want to check this out!  I saw some positive buzz on reddit too.  I love when Nintendo goes kooky!

As someone who has never played Minecraft or Smash, how are fans of either taking this news?

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m drinking a glass of red wine and playing... Picross....

It’s a sickness :unsure:

The Switch Online one?

12 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

The Switch Online one?

I found out a couple nights ago it has hidden multiplayer! 

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m drinking a glass of red wine and playing... Picross....

It’s a sickness :unsure:

I'm almost done with S4! I think I'm on the penultimate page of normal puzzles, where finally I get a challenge. I wish Jupiter retained their level progression from Mario's Picross in their modern games.

1 hour ago, Spider-Fal said:

The Switch Online one?

Nah I played that just last year emulated.  I’m just about done with S3 and have S4 queued up.  I also recently returned to finish E7 on 3DS.  I think there was an E8...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Nah I played that just last year emulated.  I’m just about done with S3 and have S4 queued up.  I also recently returned to finish E7 on 3DS.  I think there was an E8...

How's the music in S3? S4, in complete contrast to the E game I played a few years ago, has some real knock outs!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sure it was done on purpose, she is her granddaughter

Oh, I know, but I was curious to see if whether there were any differences between the models, which there seem to be (eyebrows etc.), or if they just reused the same model straight up.

I still haven't played a single video game of any kind of weeks now (other than the daily fire emblem on my phone)

I can't wait to find time to get back into things.  I guess that's what the winter is for.  The weather's been nice lately here

Really want to finish up BOTW and move on to my next physical game (probably Luigi's Mansion 3!) and on the digital front Ori is just begging to be played

I'm up to 117 stars in Super Mario 64.  I'm not gonna shoot for 120 but I will get the 8 red coins in the final Bowser level on my way to the boss.

At the same time I've been playing Galaxy on the pro-controller while my daughter has the right joycon.  The "co-star mode" where she can collect all the star bits and shoot them at enemies.  She loves playing like this where she feels like she's participating.

I haven't been keeping up with all the latest Age of Calamity videos / news; What are the most interesting things you've seen in these recent vids?

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't been keeping up with all the latest Age of Calamity videos / news; What are the most interesting things you've seen in these recent vids?

The Kohga one has a sneak peek of a new character (perhaps a villain) with Gerudo symbols on their outfit.

Haven't seen the one I just posted yet.

Holy cow check out this utterly bizarre trailer for the US debut of the original Fire Emblem game

(For those who don't know the first 6 Fire Emblem games have never been available outside of Japan)