matrix reloaded score

diskobolus

first, i've heard there's a reloaded promo with the full score going around. any truth to this?

second, i'm trying to figure out the usage of the soundtrack/score in reloaded, this is most difficult for dissecting 'the matrix reloaded suite' which seems to have blended cues from all over the film. is anyone going to be working on this? lastly, where is teahouse (track 3 on disc 2) used in the film, and what songs on disc 1 of the soundtrack are used?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first, i've heard there's a reloaded promo with the full score going around. any truth to this?

I sure hope so!

Marian - who would watch it tomorrow if it opened here before next Wednesday...

:wave: Fireworks (LSO, Goldsmith)

Would watching the film not give you a clue?

Stefancos- who will watch it tomorrow night.

What's your problem? Yes, I've seen the movie twice and obviously that helps figuring out the score, but I don't have that in my room.

I saw the movie today..more deafening percussion synth "music" for action and fight scenes.Glad we can look forward to more of that garbage in such movies as Pirates of the Carrabean which 10 years ago would have had a symphonic score we could all look forward to.

K.M.2who forsees the death of the Orchestral Film Score as we know it.

K.M.3who also thinks the days where some film music could be considered a rival to classical orchestral music are all but over too.

I'm sorry, i think John Williams is the last person suitable to score these films.

Stefancos- who thinks Davis did a fine job.

OK OK OK maybe I am being a little bit of a fanboy there.

OK if you had to pick someone besides Davis to score this who would you go with?

I think Goldsmith could've done a much better job. Well Goldsmith from like 10 years ago.

David Arnold, (parts of the Reloaded score sound a lot like Arnolds music).

Michael Kamen (his score for Event Horizon was somewhat similar)

Basil Poledouris.

Any composer who can blend modern techno synth with big orchestral music and make it sound seamless (which definatly rules out Williams)

Stefancos- who would not consider Elmer Bernstein for these films too. :mrgreen:

Arnold and Poledouris sound good.

When you say Arnold though I assume you are refffering to his more "techno-ish" works like those of the last few Bond films.

I can't imagine you would compare the Matrix Reloaded score to his ID4 score. :mrgreen:

True, parts of the RELOADED score sound identical to Arnolds work on Tomorrow Never Dies, The Word Is Not Enough and Die Another Day.

As for ID4, i just cannot imagine a standard huge orchestral score like that for these Matrix films.

This is one instant were the techo style eally fits the film like a glove.

Stefancos- who usually dislikes techno music of any kind.

David Arnold, (parts of the Reloaded score sound a lot like Arnolds music).

Michael Kamen (his score for Event Horizon was somewhat similar)

Basil Poledouris.

Any composer who can blend modern techno synth with big orchestral music and make it sound seamless (which definatly rules out Williams)

Stefancos- who would not consider Elmer Bernstein for these films too. :mrgreen:

I agree with your choice of Kamen. I've gone back and listened to his X-Men score and it certainly beats out Ottman's over-blown orchestral rhetoric. I recall Event HOrizon being a cool score and not as noisy as Davis' music. It strikes me that Davis is great at cool orchestral effects but can't write a good tune to save his life. Kamen CAN.

I don't like techno,that must be why I don't like film music as much as I used to,and MR is is sort of "orchestral techno",so I like only the quiter parts like the last cue and seans theme(and even this one has a slightly too "modern" sound for my likings).

K.M.Who edited the techno part out of Moon Rising on his A.I. MD.

K.M.2Who likes string,woodwind and brass (with the least percussion as possible)action cues the best.,like the classic Williams cue that have the word "chase" in them.

K.M.3,who began liking Williams action cues a lot less starting with Jurassic Park.

I don't like techno,that must be why I don't like film music as much as I used to,and MR is is sort of "orchestral techno",so I like only the quiter parts like the last cue and seans theme(and even this one has a slightly too "modern" sound for my likings).

K.M.Who edited the techno part out of Moon Rising on his A.I. MD.

K.M.2Who likes string,woodwind and brass (with the least percussion as possible)action cues the best.,like the classic Williams cue that have the word "chase" in them.

K.M.3,who began liking Williams action cues a lot less starting with Jurassic Park.

Williams has always used a lot of percussion in his action music though. It may not be the rhythmic type of percussion you might be thinking of, but instruments like the xylophone he uses all the time.

Ted

I hafta say that i have not seen the Matrix Reloaded yet, however, I think that the Score in The Matrix 1 was outstanding. Even if it's not your typical orchestral score, the film isn't your typical film either. Hence, for this new type of film the lastest in music technology and Davis' Score fit the movie and the mood perfectly. I can't really see anyone else doing it. Maybe Hans Zimmer???? but its not a fit, Davis is the fit for the film

Meh ....

Zimmer's usual hard rock orchestral style would not go well with a Matrix film either.

As for not having seen the film. Thats no big deal. Its only been out 5 days. Thats not a crime even though Entertainment Weekly might want you to think it is. :sadwavey:

The "Escape From Coruscant" track on the TPM soundtrack has some of the most blatant drum overuse of any Williams piece.

isn't that xylophone?

anyways,in TPM,the drums bother me more in DotF.

K.m.trying to remember if Escape from Naboo is called Coruscant on the ost.

I just saw the film and Davis' score was serviceable. At least he injected a little more woodwind writing into the music compared to the first film which was much noisier. But, once again, he's pillaged John Adams' work this time quoting "Nixon in China"...Oyyyy.

The film itself was one of the most vacuous experiences I've had of late. Everyone in it seemed to sleep through their roles and the excessive use of the computer animation made the film seem like an extended video game. The philophical doctrines introduced in the first film which made it so compelling are either gone or re-packaged into non-sensical empty rhetoric. Very disappointing film. It felt like I was watching Phantom Menace all over again!

It felt like I was watching Phantom Menace all over again!

Honestly, i think Reloaded is about 7 to 10 times better then TPM.

The Matrix Reloaded is a film with a surprisingly high amount of flaws, but with such style and energy that it does not make you care about them.

It's very hard to make a perfect, flawless film.

It is even harder to make a flawed film that is brilliant nontheless.

Stefancos- who thinks Reloaded is as flawed as AOTC, but still a much better film.

Arnold was THE guy to score Matrix. He is the one that better blended old-style orchestral adventure score, with techno and modern music. Next choice would be Elfman following what he started with Planet of The Apes, but with techno. Don Davis seem too cold for me, he does standard orchestral effects, few music, few real innovation (in my opinion).

CharlesK- who thinks Matrix Reloaded score is mix of Arnold, Goldenthal and John Adams' Harmonielehre, but to a final sub-quality effect.

It felt like I was watching Phantom Menace all over again!

Honestly, i think Reloaded is about 7 to 10 times better then TPM.

The Matrix Reloaded is a film with a surprisingly high amount of flaws, but with such style and energy that it does not make you care about them.

It's very hard to make a perfect, flawless film.

Shawshank Redemption is as close to a flawless film in my opinion. I never expected MAtrix 2 to be flawless. But I did expect that it would be more compelling than a few extremely protracted fight scenes, none of which made an impact on me- and I've been into martial arts for 20 years.

Then we must agree to disagree.

BTW, no martial arts scene performed by famous western/Hollywood actors will ever beat scenes by famous Asian martial arts acors.

In Hollywood films actors train for stuff like that for a few months at the very most.

Asian actors like Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat and others have been training their entire life.

No CGI can ever replace that.

Stefancos- who's sure Jet Li could kick Neo's ass.

Feel free to review and discuss The Matrix Reloaded here.

Neil

But...i've already done that???

Stefancos- :baaa:

As I said Steef, review and discuss it in that thread. This thread is fine for discussing the score.

Neil

That's fair. I never expected the Matrix actors to be on the same level as Jet Li or Jackie Chan (Chow Yung Fat actually never studied martial arts until his role for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon incidently). I think they just should have kept the fight scenes tighter. After a while, there was no point to the excessive fight sequences.

I don't think Reloaded is as bad a film as Phantom Menace. I just said it felt like it in places. It's just a really bad move for the film to rely so heavily on the Revelations to explain for half of what happens in Reloaded. BAD WRITING!!!! Even Empire Strikes Back is its own entity although it does leave some things unresolved.

Hmmm...are you gonna do this every time the subject of a thread changes slightly?

Stefancos- who still loves Neil. :baaa:

I don't mind a thread going off-topic. I mind two threads discussing the same exact thing.

I will take care of this.

Neil

i've not seen the film yet (my excuse is that it's only released today in Britain, but i am watchin it this evening, i've just got to do an exam now) but i think that Davis did a great job for the first (especially the ending) and the techno score fit perfectly into THAT film.