The Witches of Eastwick

Stefan, where is that shark from? I assume it's from Jaws 2 (or 3D, or 4). I don't remember the shark from the first Jaws was that bad.

On the other hand, i will have to check out the DVD of Witches (which i don't own) to see whether it has the iso track.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's from the classic 1987 film Jaws The Revenge, directed by the legenday Joseph Sargent, with Loriane Gary, reprising her role of Ellen Brody, Mario van Peebles as an islander and Sir Michael Caine in oone of his very best roles. (he did not pick up his oscar for his role in Hannah and Her Sisters because of his utter commitment to this film.

Veteran composer Michael Small wrote a stunning new score which combined elements from the Earlier John Williams work with his own brilliant compositions.

Stefancos- who will replace the shark for something even scarier soon. :music:

Either the above post is an attempt at irony or its the post of a proud contrarian. I'm more in agreement with Ebert who gave Jaws - The Revenge 0 out of 4 stars. Rotten Tomatoes scores it at 0% - yikes! Not that critics can't be wrong but I remember this movie being a painful experience for me to sit through. The score is one of the best arguments around for not having other people compose a score using JW's themes and why JW themes without musical range and a corresonding sense of dramtic sensibility and nuance is a really bad combination. Of course, when a movie is this bad, arguably, the score needs to be really bad just to fufill the creation of unintended, horrible campiness.

- Adam

Steef, you don't actually OWN Jaws: The Revenge? :music: I mean, you had to get that picture somewhere. I sure hope you plucked it off the net somewhere.

- Marc, who thinks the subtitle is hilarious. :music:

Steef, you don't actually OWN Jaws: The Revenge? :music:  I mean, you had to get that picture somewhere. I sure hope you plucked it off the net somewhere.

This time its personal!!! :music:

Returning to the original topic, my brother and I rented The Witches of Eastwick DVD, and I was surprised to hear practically none of the Ballroom music in the film (which I recently became familiar with thanks to Jeff/Trumpeteer ROTFLMAO ) That scene was scored with opera instead. I was really disappointed, because the Ballroom music on the CD is stunning, as Justin stated, and among the most romantic Williams has ever done, as Jeff says in his review. Does anyone know why it was replaced? And if the boot was taken from the DVD, how are there two versions of the Ballroom Scene on it?

Ray Barnsbury

I've never read anything about the decision to include the opera in the ballroom scene instead of the original music. Personally, the opera works just as well.

Glad you're enjoying the CD, "Ray." :)

Does the DVD have the isolated score? Is it the one? I haven't still bought it awaiting a few more confirmations concerning the isolated track and instructions how to get to it, as printed on the inside cover of the DVD.

Thanks.

So, what if I say that you can purchase the "Witches of Eastwick", "Born on the 4th of July" as well as the "Jane Eyre" boot regulary at an online store for 19Euros + shipping? There you can furthermore buy boots like TND 2CD complete, Species1/2 etc...

Mail me for the webadress of that store:), I ordered and received CDs there several times.

Regards

Markuz

Does the DVD have the isolated score? Is it the one? I haven't still bought it awaiting a few more confirmations concerning the isolated track and instructions how to get to it, as printed on the inside cover of the DVD.

Thanks.

On the DVD I rented, the isolated score could be selected in the laguage menu. But I wouldn't know how to get it off the DVD.

Ray Barnsbury

I Does anyone know why it was replaced?  

I wonder.I think they left the end of the cue in the movie for the levitation scene and it's stunning.

K.M.

Yes they did, and you're right, it's great. There's also a little quotation of it when Susan Sarandon (Jane) is falling and then floats by laughing, in the Destruction of Daryl I believe.

Ray Barnsbury-who wants to watch the Ballroom Scene on DVD muted with the Ballroom Scene palying on CD

Okay guys, I just got the Witches of Eastwick DVD and am going to record the music onto my computer... does anyone know where I can find a list of when the cues are so I can find where the music comes in with greater ease? :sigh: