NBC Nightly News Theme

KennethFuchs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not on that many c.d.'s.The recorded versions by Williams are on American Journey/Call of the Champions(Sony) and By Request(Philips),which I think is the best performance.

I think i have it on a compilation by Richard Hayman or Andrew Lane,but it's a pretty bad performance.

K.M.

Yeah, I have "The Mission" on An American Journey, and it's really excellent. Of course, all I can compare it to is the bootleg, which I ordered vai the Internet some time ago. So much noise and compression, it's barely worth listening to.

But I truly adore the recording on An American Journey. I've seen the By Request album, but never heard it. If KM considers it the best recording, why, then I must have it!

There is also an alternate version. Which is must less orchestral.

Justin -Who prefers the accepted version.

. If KM considers it the best recording, why, then I must have it!

I find it more dynamic.

K.M.Who thinks some of the performances on American Journey are rather flat,especially Call of the Champions(why is the chorus so distant sounding?)

>>why is the chorus so distant sounding?

That's a good question, especially considering that it's the Mormon Tabernacle...

Different versions are good for different moods. If you're in a brassy mood, but you don't want a lot of it, go for BR. If you want beauty and strings, go for AJ. For instance, last week we went to Grand Teton and I listened to the AJ version, intending to use it, rather than BR, with the camera footage I took of it. However, if I was going to use "The Mission" for a fireworks show, I'd likely go with BR (as well as the other tracks on that CD).

Let's face it...By Request is a great CD. The last two of the three Dayton airshows I've been two, they've played at least one of the tracks from that CD. The first show, it was used to score a lot of the Thunderbirds show. It moved me to tears, to tell you the truth. They played "Superman" at one point. I think it was nearing the end of the show, the T-Birds were flying together in formation for a slow photo pass, the horn solo right in between "CYRMM" and the main theme was playing...it chokes me up everytime I think about it. Yeah, I know it was just a bunch of planes and it's silly to get that caught up in boobish patriotism, but heck...it was just a beautiful scene right out of life itself. Far better than movie scenes that are scored well.

I got a B.Pops performances of Call of the Champions in which the voices sound more forcefull and trumpets a lot brighter.

Maybe that has something to do why Williams re-recorded the piece with the LSO with the Ep2 scoring sessions just before the Oympics.

and about that c.d.:

unfinished journey seems to lack a bit of rehersal or something.I also have a B.pops recording in which many parts sound more refined and orchestrations tweaked,whith more bells and triangle highlights and such.

and I also like the orchestration and preformance of the original Satelite Celebration a lot better,more heartfelt,with Yo-yo ma on the cello,the chorus and jagged percussions in the last part.The strings on the c.d. are nice but a bit monotone.

and Hymn to New England is bolder on the Keith Lockhart c.d.

K.M.Who thinks Williams was tired when he recorded that c.d.

>>I got a B.Pops performances of Call of the Champions in which the voices sound more forcefull and trumpets a lot brighter.

On what CD? What else is on it?

It's on a nice live recording(i think) from 2002 Crushercommix sent me on a CDR.Also has the Harry Potter concert suite but the Bpops are struggling on that one.

K.M.

It's on a nice live recording(i think) from 2002 Crushercommix sent me on a CDR.Also has the Harry Potter concert suite but the Bpops are struggling on that one.

K.M.

Was it Williams who conducted the HP concert suite on that recording?

Must be Williams,since he narrates over some of the music to explain the themes.And theres another Pops rendition of the complete Hedwig's theme that's not very good either,it sounds like the trumpets flub up a couple of measures.

K.M.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the bootleg cd available? It's piqued my interest. I searched and found "The Music of NBC News" that came out in 97, but it does not seem to be available anywhere.

-Ted