Zorro Sequel

I bought Zorro on DVD tonight (won't say which store, Neil). Ever since I saw the film on HBO for the first time, it's been one of the films that's defined why I want to make those things myself. I actually dreamed of making a Zorro sequel, since Mask came out and, despite being a pretty great film, was forgotten shortly after. Then I get on Zorro.com and find out it wasn't forgotten. Martin Campbell's going at it again this fall. But then again...if that dazzles as much or more than the first, the door should be wide open for more. And it's not like that film is going to close the book for Zorro movies. Look at how many have been made. Plenty of filmmakers each have their own interpretations that they make of Zorro. Just look at the one with George Hamilton (or maybe you shouldn't...).

Even though Zorro probably won't be up for a few years, Superman is probably still within reach. That would be VERY hard, IMO. It'd be hard to make myself top (or even equal) Donner's original, save the visual effects. He did everything right with the first one. My faith in Spielberg is not strong enough to think he could've done better. Not only that, but there's not much liberty you could take with the story, from what I hear about DC's restrictions (or constrictions).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zorro Returns? No thanks :folder:. Do we really need more sequels? Apart from The Hulk there are almost no other big movies this year that aren't sequels: X2, The Matrix Reloaded, T3: Rise of the Machines, plus The Return of the King etc etc. Whilst I don't necessarily have anything against these particular films and I am more than aware that the movie industry likes to hedge its bets and not take too many risks with their expensive films, couldn't we please see something a little original? Heck, if it's not a sequel then it's probably based on a best-seller or a comic book or some other adaptable source.

CYPHER

PS - that was not a rant :)

CYPHER, I know what you're saying but you're only mentioning the big blockbusters with the biggest promotion campagnes. These do not stand for guaranteed quality, only guaranteed CGI. There are alot of other films being made too. Expect to find this year's standouts amongst those.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know, I know: my "rant" was terribly flawed :sigh: . I was only referring to the big budget blockbuster films of this year. Alex, I too am confident that this year's best films will be those that do not fit under this category (as indeed is generally the case). I do still think that the better films of late are those that have been adapted from a previous source. It seems that the number of quality original films of any scale or form has been greatly smaller than the number of quality adaptations.

CYPHER

I hate when people talk about "Aliens 2".

As for Zorro, TLIJ, I'm sorry you bought it at Best Buy and I'm doubly sorry that you even spent money on this. The film is forgotten for a reason. As far as I'm concerned, Martin Campbell has only made one good film in his career (GoldenEye). I had really high hopes for The Mask of Zorro. I even went out of my way to see it in a great theater on my birthday (it opened on my birthday) and I was very let down by it. It's such a boring, pointless movie.

To each his own.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...