Your favorite soundtracks that incorporate classical music

Jurassic Shark

I tend to prefer when the classical piece is used as an inspiration but adapted to fit the film score (instead of an existing recording being pasted over the movie).

Some scores that I like that did that very well are:

Alan Parker's JAWS 3-D with several tracks inspired by Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring

James Horner short but very effective use of Prokofiev's Romeo And Juliet for the destruction of the Enterprise in Trek III

John Williams' Main Title to A.I. inspired by Gayane's Ballet Adagio (which was also very effective in Horner's Aliens where it is more "note for note" quoted).

The adapting of Night On Bald Mountain in Brian May's Freddy's Dead are also the best parts of that score, as I love that piece. 

7 minutes ago, danbeck said:

I tend to prefer when the classical piece is used as an inspiration but adapted to fit the film score (instead of an existing recording being pasted over the movie).

Some scores that I like that did that very well are:

Alan Parker's JAWS 3-D with several tracks inspired by Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring

James Horner short but very effective use of Prokofiev's Romeo And Juliet for the destruction of the Enterprise in Trek III

John Williams' Main Title to A.I. inspired by Gayane's Ballet Adagio (which was also very effective in Horner's Aliens where it is more "note for note" quoted).

The adapting of Night On Bald Mountain in Brian May's Freddy's Dead are also the best parts of that score, as I love that piece. 

But those are cases that always rile fans up -- the "copycat" accusation and all that. Disregarding whether the nod is intentional or not.

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

But those are cases that always rile fans up -- the "copycat" accusation and all that. Disregarding whether the nod is intentional or not.

I was never bothered by classical music adaptations/inspiration in film scores. I tend to love Horner's scores that do it a lot like Willow.

What really bothers me is the score reflecting temptracking of other scores. This is something I find highly distracting most of the time.

8 minutes ago, danbeck said:

I was never bothered by classical music adaptations/inspiration in film scores. I tend to love Horner's scores that do it a lot like Willow.

Sure, I agree with you. But these cases will always lead to lots of controversy. There's the Bill Conti and THE RIGHT STUFF case too. Many others. Whenever you 'mix' your own music with classical music this way, a lot of people automatically think it's theft. And in some cases it's true (temptrackitis), but in many others it's not.