The Legitimacy of Sequels.

JoeinAR

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To discribe Jaws as merely a scary movie is to do it injustice.

To discribe Alien as a horror movie is to do it injustice.

I just don't like these terms, scary movie, horror, they are degrading.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Stefancos, if one describes Alien as a horror flick then he labels that movie in the wrong catagory. Just because there are some bloody scenes doesn't automatically puts a stamp on it. Don't you think that horror sounds too narrow-minded for a film like Alien?

----------------

Alex Cremers

sci-fi/thriller/horror film

See! You put the word horror last in line!!! Alien also has put its mark on the SciFi genre.

Stefancos- who thinks Jaws is an adventure/thriller.

That's better.

----------------

Alex Cremers

A film doesn't have to be gory to be a horror movie. I don't think calling Alien a horror movie does it injustice. I'd rather say most so-called horror movies to the term "horror movie" injustice. :)

Marian - who thinks Fight Club is at least as great as Se7en.

Marian - who thinks Fight Club is at least as great as Se7en.

The first time I saw Fight Club I thought is was overrated. The second viewing, not too long ago, I thought it was ace!. I even liked his Panic Room. But Alien III was a mistake. When Seven got out I couldn't believe it was made by the same chap that was responsible for Alien III.

For the record, I like him but don't have any Fincher DVDs.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Fincher is one of the worst director's out there IMHO(Alan's rules).  He lucked out with Se7en, but should have stuck to Madonna video's.

Uuh yeah, that's why he gets actors of the calibre of Jodie Foster, Morgan Freeman, Edward Norton and Forest Whitaker, coz he is one of the worst Directors out there.

:roll: :roll:

Its my opinion A.I. you don't have to agree with it. I will say this Finchers movies are, with the exception of Se7en, even worse than A.I. the movie, and everyone knows how I despise that load of crap.

Jaws and Alien are both horror films, Silence of the Lambs is a horror film, Fight Club is a horrible film.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Joe, extremely comfortable with his opinion

Two other good sequels, Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan, and Star Trek III, the Search for Spock.

Just wanted to make that clear.

But Joe, why don't you make this clear?

JoeinAr wrote about Alien by Ridley Scott:

Plus he makes the same mistake all horror film makers make, something unseen is scarier than something in the light.  

Joe, who knows the scariest things are always in the light, at least all the ones I have seen so far.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Review from DVD Bulletin

Ridley Scott's 1979 classic was the birth of the Aliens saga and to date has spawned three sequels. This pioneering film was made after the first Star Wars film, by George Lucas, which proved that science fiction could be successful at the box office and paved the way for sc-fi popularity. Scott is often termed as a director who is abnormally attentive to visuals and this film is definitely no exception - the intricate sets and the terrifying monster created by H.R. Giger are a treat to look at and the cinematography/look of the film is what we now regard as a classic science-fiction look.

The special effects were basically mechanical, due to the age of the film, and as a result, still look pretty good. The decision to make the main character a female was a rare move for such a film at the time - Sigourney Weaver's performance was much-loved by cinema audiences, who shared in her every moment of terror.

Writer Dan O'Bannon tried to split the film into two halves - the first is an incredibly slow-burning build-up with mystery and intrigue dominating. The latter half of the film then delivers the shocks and scares very effectively. Legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith was brought in to work on the picture and created a great score that complements the film perfectly. To sum it up, this is a science-fiction classic and for most critics, the best film of the series.

Look who he avoids the word horror.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I agree with Joe on a few points, Alien 3 ruined what Cameron and to an extent Scott had established. I couldn't believe they killed off Newt, Bishop & Hicks so easily, although that's one of ways to deal with characters when actors don't return for sequels. To me the next step should have had the aliens finding Earth.

I will admit though, as bad as Alien 3 is it still has a very effective score by Elliot Goldenthal and is one of the best shot films from a technical standpoint.