Restored Isolated Score: Superman: The Movie

Holko

2 hours ago, Holko said:

End Title - Shortened it seriously since in the LLL booklet, the Love Theme's slate (Love Theme) doesn't seem to indicate in any way that it was intended as an End Credits Part 2. The film switches it with the Main Title.

The FSM book states that it was originally written to just be an album arrangement, but the credits were the longest any film had been up to that point, so it got used in an edited form to fill the rest of it out. Now, the manuscript does list it as "Love Theme From Superman (End Credits Part II)," but the cue sheet only refers to it as "Love Theme From S.M.," so I guess the latter came first.

Now, when you say extended cut, you are referring to the 3 hour TV cut, yes? It likely has no relevance to this project, but it is quite intriguing how all three versions can treat certain cues differently, so I do wonder if that was something you got to pick up on at any point. Definitely am looking forward to watching this!

26 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

The FSM book states that it was originally written to just be an album arrangement, but the credits were the longest any film had been up to that point, so it got used in an edited form to fill the rest of it out. Now, the manuscript does list it as "Love Theme From Superman (End Credits Part II)," but the cue sheet only refers to it as "Love Theme From S.M.," so I guess the latter came first.

Ah, good, so if we're going by JW's original intentions and compositions then taking the Credits as the only Credits piece should be the correct choice.

27 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Now, when you say extended cut, you are referring to the 3 hour TV cut, yes?

Yes, yes, you gotta have as much as possible to be able to edit it down!

27 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It likely has no relevance to this project, but it is quite intriguing how all three versions can treat certain cues differently, so I do wonder if that was something you got to pick up on at any point.

The Theatrical drops a lot of music as I noted, the Extended restores a lot of it but also loops and tracks a ton of cues to cover the added material. There were definitely places where the music was out of sync or obviously wasn't in the original intended sync. I mostly ignored the Special cut since it adds relatively little which is all covered by the Extended I think? The best reference for doing all this was my gut feeling of rightness for certain sync points after trying and trying and recutting and reshuffling. :D I gotta say, I grinned a lot this past week for all these exhilirating Superman statements for him launching and landing and flying and popping up!

On 03/09/2023 at 3:22 AM, Holko said:

New 2m2 The Krypton Quake - This is a mess: the Theatrical has too little footage for the scene and drops most of the cue except for the very opening and the explosion's final buildup (but the ending with the explosion itself is still removed), the Extended has far too much footage and loops the cue a lot. I decided to just edit it however I felt like, the 3 certain points were the opening, the Fanfare over the pod leaving Krypton, and the ending, otherwise I tried to put shots of Kal-El's parents over main theme and Personal theme statements, bigger wide shots over sudden changes, etc.

Amazing, amazing work! Very glad to see this on the forum. 

I just have one suggestion here - the sketches (and I believe something MM said in an interview? can't locate it) suggest that the ascending runs at 8:58 of this video (which recall similar ones from The Dome Opens), were meant to accompany the shot of the "starship" flying past Zod and co in the phantom zone (a shot which was moved to 10:14 of this same video). Baby's Trip to Earth seems to have been scored in the 'second half' of Williams' colossal time on the project (since it was orchestrated by Arthur Morton, who orchestrated almost all the cues in this second half), so I believe that it was scored with the change, but Kryptonquake may have been scored when that shot was still in there. Would you be willing to try and experiment by putting that shot into the Kryptonquake restoration and seeing where it takes you?

That's a bunch of words but I hope that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Pat_S said:

Amazing, amazing work! Very glad to see this on the forum. 

I just have one suggestion here - the sketches (and I believe something MM said in an interview? can't locate it) suggest that the ascending runs at 8:58 of this video (which recall similar ones from The Dome Opens), were meant to accompany the shot of the "starship" flying past Zod and co in the phantom zone (a shot which was moved to 10:14 of this same video). Baby's Trip to Earth seems to have been scored in the 'second half' of Williams' colossal time on the project (since it was orchestrated by Arthur Morton, who orchestrated almost all the cues in this second half), so I believe that it was scored with the change, but Kryptonquake may have been scored when that shot was still in there. Would you be willing to try and experiment by putting that shot into the Kryptonquake restoration and seeing where it takes you?

That's a bunch of words but I hope that makes sense.

Yep, I'll definitely try it, thanks!

12 hours ago, Pat_S said:

that the ascending runs at 8:58 of this video (which recall similar ones from The Dome Opens)

That's actually why I put a shot of the dome's destruction under it.

The Theatrical is still too short with these 2 shots added to it, so I just plopped them into my Frankenedit and adjusted the part right after. The video's now replaced!

8 hours ago, Holko said:

That's actually why I put a shot of the dome's destruction under it.

The Theatrical is still too short with these 2 shots added to it, so I just plopped them into my Frankenedit and adjusted the part right after. The video's now replaced!

Thanks a bunch! Despite being inevitably a little rough around the edges, I think the result works really well! 

• 6 months later...

I was recently going thru the isolated score bonus feature, and I noticed something a little odd in the edited cue for "Pushing Boulders and Flying to Lois". So a chunk of this cue gets dropped and then they decided to track in a section from "Golden Gate Bridge and Rescue of Jimmy", now before the tracked section plays, theres a tiny fragment of a cue not in either of the tracks listed above (I think). Here's the audio clip of the isolated score, and it is in the film audio, unlike a few other instances where the isolated score does not match the film. The fragment in question is at about the 4 second mark, and it literally lasts for a microsecond, so its curious why its there: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yd7D1iBE1M67rwtP-U8sVTxZqD5dHF6A/view?usp=sharing

27 minutes ago, Faleel said:

It just sounds like the cue crossfading into the tracking?

I suppose it could be, but the little twinkling makes it seem like it was from something else. That is a possibility due to the tape being cut.

Never mind, my friend @Pat_S Found it. Its in the cue Pushing Boulders right before the tracked section, the isolated score and film have a different mix, and it's there underneath oboes and clarinets.