A Dry JW Year?: Part Deux

A24

Today a went back to my little cozy secret second hand shop to see if I didn't overlook anything yesterday. Believe it or not but I sure did! And I almost overlooked it again! There it was! Another JW bootleg! Thirty tracks and 78 minutes of: Born on the Fourth of July, July Records. It's mine now.

Tomorrow I will go back to buy a very rare CD with music of Jerry Goldsmith. I had to check on the internet whether it was really worth something and now I'm nervous because it is!!! Oh my god! I hope they still have it!!! I will let you know. Maybe I better buy them all. Every single bootleg they've got.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this dealer is actually getting these used from someone and is not just downloading the music and printing the cover art and then passing it off as used. These are indeed pressed CD's you are buying and not CD-R's right?

And just for fun, you aren't buying these at Super Collector from someone wearing gigantic "Coke bottle" glasses, are you?

Neil

They're labeled "new" and not used. They are very real. They are like virgins, untouched. You can put them under a microscope and not find a micro scratch on them.

I can only think of one story. A soundtrack collector has passed away and an unsuspectingly relative sold the CDs like they were ordinary regular CDs. To good the be true? I also found many interesting regular CDs that I haven't seen before in normal stores. I wish I was an all-round collector myself but I mainly stick to one composer. But as I already said, tomorrow a rare Goldsmith (worth lots of money a few years ago) album will be mine. I hope that if I sell it, I can sell it for a good price.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Neil, nobody says "I have real CDRs". Aren't you a little tiny bit picky?

As the moderator I can choose to be extra picky. It's pretty much the only perk that comes with the title.

And believe it or not, I'm sure there are people out there that don't the physical differences between factory pressed CD's and CD-R's. In fact I'm sure many bootleggers count on people being naive.

Neil

so what's the difference between a "pressed boot" and a cdr copy of it,does it last longer or something?

K.M.Who wouldn't buy a pressed boot anymore if he could trade for a cdr copy.

With CDR the data is written on a layer outside, at the surface, of the CD. This makes it very vulnerable and should therefore be treated with extra caution. Also I had a couple of CDRs that went totally blanc on me. Not funny.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Before I bought the pressed copy of Braveheart, I had my friend make me a CDR copy of the soundtrack; it was in the fall of 1997. Back then the blank CD-Rs were almost 20 percent of the pressed CDs' cost. It was a blue-layer Verbatim CD-R. In 2001, only four years later, the Braveheart CD-R started causing troubles towards the end of the disc, skipping large portions of cues and entire cues shoon after, and today it cannot be played at all, from brim to center. I paid extra carefulness to it, no scratches on either side, it never got wet as well since the layer is almost all-out paper made so I feared not to damage it just by water, etc. What went wrong then? Isn't this what's gonna happen to all CD-Rs in about 5 years? Going totally dead even if you mollycoddle them like a baby? I was told that blue-layer CD-Rs are the best to read for CD players. The same was told to me about green-gold ones and so on.

I have a few cd-r's, the earlier ones I got, that were music only cd-r's, that give me some problems when I try to copy them on my pc. Or rip them into mp3 or something like that. But they play very well on my sound system... Other than this, I've never had any cd-r problem.

Track Listing

1. Overture / Main Theme (06:19)

2. Prologue (01:24)

3. Wargames (01:33)

4. The Early Days, Massapequa (04:58)

5. High School (03:01)

6. The Shooting Of Wilson (05:08)

7. Patrolling The Fields (01:18)

8. Cua Viet River, Vietnam (05:20)

9. Back In The Neighborhood (03:00)

10. The Parade / Timmy (01:54)

11. The Syracuse Rally (01:17)

12. Villa Dulce (03:39)

13. Unfinished Letters (01:09)

14. Homecoming (02:38)

15. Miami Confrontation (02:12)

16. The Democratic Convention, NYC (00:52)

17. End Title (05:44)

18. Prologue (01:16)

19. The Early Days, Massapequa (04:05)

20. High School (01:40)

21. Cua Viet River, Vietnam (03:33)

22. Ron's Speech (01:03)

23. Timmy (01:15)

24. The Syracuse Rally (01:38)

25. Remembering Vietnam (01:28)

26. Miami Confrontation (01:04)

27. The Democratic Convention, NYC (01:29)

28. Victory (00:38)

29. Epilogue (01:07)

30. End Title (05:44)

Onces you've tasted this, there's no way back.

----------------

Alex Cremers

With CDR the data is written on a layer outside, at the surface, of the CD. This makes it very vulnerable and should therefore be treated with extra caution.

----------------

Alex Cremers

well,none of mine skip,despite Crusher's packaging.

K.M.

I have several pressed bootlegs. I bought most of them before I knew they were boots --I thought they were limited edition promos in the mid-to-late 90's--- and a few I aquired in some trades.

Monsignor/Missouri, Cinderella Liberty/Reivers, Poseidon, 1941, Hook, WOE, IJ&TLC Vol.2, and Towering Inferno. All pressed and looking as legit as anything else. OH... Ricard considers Steal A Million and Fitzwilly pressed boots as well, so count those too!

I have an uncle that writes songs and he had some of his music recorded and pressed onto discs relatively cheap, so a bootlegger with a CD pressing machine and a professional printer could do it without too much difficulty.

KM, didn't I show you my pressed boots?

One difference with a pressed disc is that it will play on some CD and DVD players that CD-Rs do not. They also look cool, last longer than CD-Rs (I've noticed some of my CD-Rs are starting to disintegrate even if I don't even play them) hence I like having a boot pressed rather than on CDR.

HOWEVER... I DO NOT like paying for them. They cost in the $30-50 per disc range. TOO MUCH for something not even legit, but I'll gladly trade for them. Anybody with pressed bootlegs? I'll trade you several CD-Rs for them

Of note: These bootlegs don't copy on some CD Recorders, they all have digital copy blockers, sometimes on just one track.

They also look cool, last longer than CD-Rs (I've noticed some of my CD-Rs are starting to disintegrate even if I don't even play them) hence I like having a boot pressed rather than on CDR.

It must be the alloy they're made of. They adulterate the creational process so they can be cheaper and cheaper and "best before yesterday."

My Braveheart was hardly played a dozen times in total, stored in a cold dark closet, yet it's perfectly defective from the first track to the last so I had to buy pressed CD. My friend told me that CD-Rs can't seem to cope with playing times over 70 minutes, which I don't think is the reason. They --or some of them-- just require too much of a carefulness to keep them alive, which scares me off relying upon them. That's why I won't go off pressed CDs in the foreseeable future.

Off-mark: I heard some audiophiles store the CDs in the freezer. Someone knows why do they do so...?

:music: