Donkey's Song "I'm All Alone" from Shrek (2001) - Synced to unused music

Trope

Hello!

I recently rewatched Shrek (2001), primarily for the purpose of listening to John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams' great score in context. And wow, was I impressed! It's such a wonderful score and perfectly elevates every scene it is in. 

Being very familiar with the score album, I noticed several bits of music on that album went unused in the final picture. One that interested me most was the ending to the track "Donkey Meets Shrek" (1:53 to the end). I always felt when listening that the section from 2:17 onwards was strange and out of place with the rest of the score. Well, upon my rewatch I discovered that this bit of music was actually meant to underscore Donkey's brief song that occurs about 9 minutes into the film! When I synced up the audio from the film and the music track, they line up perfectly! Pretty neat.

Donkey's Song "I'm All Alone".aif

1 hour ago, Cameron007 said:

My blu-ray actually has the music for that part. I think later editions restored it.

Wow, I had no idea! I watched it on Netflix, and there was no music while he was singing.