24th World Soundtrack Awards, Ghent, 2024

LSH

Fuck Görannson. Given my reputation in Ghent, I'm seeking some awards myself.

Alas, I can't afford any travelling abroad for the foreseeable future, but should be good, LSH! Rombi and Horner concert. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Elliot Goldenthal to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at 24th World Soundtrack Awards

We are thrilled to share some exciting news with you! American composer Elliot Goldenthal will be honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 24th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards on 16 October 2024. Known for his fusion of orchestral, jazz, rock and electronic music, the composer has been lauded numerous times by the Academy Awards, Golden Globes and the World Soundtrack Awards. This is not the first time Goldenthal will be visiting the festival. In 2000 he attended the premiere of Titus (1999) and three years later he received the WSAward for ‘Soundtrack Composer of the Year’ and ‘Best Soundtrack of the Year’ for Frida (2002), in 2011 his score for Alien 3 (1992) was performed at the World Soundtrack Awards Ceremony & Concert.

Elliot Goldenthal will join Guest of Honour Philippe Rombi and returning Discovery of the Year winner Simon Franglen as WSA2024’s official musical guests.

Article

I liked Goldenthal's Alien3 and Batman Forever, but never the whole thing, just some major parts of it. That is my issue with Goldenthal. I never managed to like a whole score, just the lyrical orchestral parts. When it came to his techno and ambient parts, which are there in almost each of his scores, then I am out.

Often his music feels a little random and too dissonant to me.

I never managed to get into his music overall as a pure musical listen.

Although I've already seen Goldenthal in Ghent years ago, it's a nice addition to the event. Surely another good reason to go, for those (unlike me) who can afford it.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm going for the Horner concert.

See you there!